PDA

View Full Version : Coffee in Rooms? Food to bring?

Pages : [1] 2

mc06367
08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
We have only stayed on our points once before in a studio for just a couple of days and ate out most meals. This time we are staying in a one bedroom at Boardwalk. 2 adults and 2 kids ages 10 and 10 months (thus we will be in the room more often for naps) :eyeroll:.

First, is there coffee and associated condiments in the room (sugar/creamer) or do you need to bring your own?

Second, what kind of food do you usually bring/buy? We are hoping to have a rental car and will stop at Walmart. Looks like we should have about 3-4 breakfasts and lunches in the room and one dinner. We don't want to make anything too elaborate, and don't want to buy a ton of food. Just looking for some ideas from the experts that we might not have thought of. Thanks!

mom22gls
08-11-2010, 02:42 AM
There is coffee, but usually not enough for us. I also need more laundry detergent than they provide. I have an Owner's Locker, which I just restocked with those Purell 3 in 1 sheets, that worked quite well on our recent trip. I would buy plenty of bottled water and any other drinks you need, and snacks, as well as breakfast. If you are flying in, just buy any "heavier" liquid toiletries, like sunscreen, when you get there. I use the Garden Grocer service, and, last month, Bell Services brought our groceries on the golf carts to our Treehouse Villa, at Saratoga Springs. The kids all commented on how much I had bought. Five days later, all that was left were odds and ends, and some bread. I bought things like Easy Mac, which went fast, for snacks.

Toocherie
08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
not only will you need coffee, you need filters (the basket kind). The last couple of trips I bought a brand of coffee (Folger's maybe?) where the coffee is packaged in filters like what is provided in the Villa for the first morning--I think each filter pack is good for 6 cups, so I used two for a full pot. It was ok--I like strong good coffee and I survived. More importantly to me, you need to buy some cases of water because the water in Florida sucks--which means BAD coffee.

we mostly buy milk, bread, peanut butter and some fruit. Things that will make a quick early meal before we head out to the parks. Maybe some cheese. and snacks.

mom22gls
08-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Oh, yeah, coffee filters, I have those in the Owner's Locker, too. If you are going to be making regular DVC visits, I would consider getting an Owner's Locker, which could be a big help in keeping a lot of kiddie stuff. Your child will be growing out of smaller diaper sizes, so you will probably have to purchase or bring diapers for each trip, but there are lots of little things which will be a pain to bring each trip. For example, baby pain relievers (teething will be an issue for quite a while) and toiletries, safety items to child-proof the villa, and some cleaning supplies. If you are staying on points, you don't get daily cleaning service, and I don't do significant housekeeping, but it's nice to have, say, disinfectant cleaning wipes, to wipe down the kitchen and bathroom.

Toocherie
08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Even without a baby the Owner's Locker is great.

mc06367
08-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I think we will eventually do owner's locker, but we are hoping to use our points next year at HHI. So we might not make it down to Orlando. We will look into it for our next trip though.

stan4d_steph
08-27-2010, 09:18 AM
If you stay at Kidani Village they sell good coffee in the Jambo House gift shop -- Kenya AA.

stan2u
08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
You should do a little self-appraisal to see what kind of vacationer you are. For instance, if you really like eating out all the time, there isn't much need to bring anything.

In our case, we always eat breakfast in the rooms, so we plan out our menu for the number of days there and buy accordingly. As far as coffee service goes, there's never enough, so ew bring our own. Plus it's what we like. We usually eat one or two evening meals (max) in the room, so buy for that. Though lots of times we just go down to the resort store and pick something up. Beer and pizza is pretty easy.

If you have a studio room your plates and cups are paper, and we always run out. So we bring our own.

TestaRossa
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
There are some sugar/creamer packets in the units, but since we don't use them I would guess they're probably enough for a few days. We order from Garden Grocer as we normally use ME and don't really need a rental otherwise. Here is what I normally order: milk, eggs, orange juice, bread, case of water, case of beer, snack food, a couple liters of soda, cheese, doughnuts, some fruit, and yogurt. WDW doesn't stock Pepsi products in case you care about that. ;) Prices from GG are a bit higher than our home prices, but much better than buying @ WDW.

fairestoneofall
09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
If you stay at Kidani Village they sell good coffee in the Jambo House gift shop -- Kenya AA.
What if I'm staying in the Jambo House, not Kidani?

If you have a studio room your plates and cups are paper, and we always run out. So we bring our own.
Good to know....thanks.

mom22gls
09-22-2010, 02:29 AM
What if I'm staying in the Jambo House, not Kidani?

Good to know....thanks.

Then you are just that much closer to the gift shop.

fairestoneofall
09-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Then you are just that much closer to the gift shop.

Cool, thanks.

Is it awful that I've started a grocery list already and we almost 7 months out?

bellefan
09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
I start my list as soon as one trip is over - then I know what we used and what we didn't! We're big coffee drinkers so extra coffee and real cream is a must for us. We usually like breakfast foods to get us going - some cereal or bagels. And then we do snacky type foods - fruit or chips that we don't want to have to go out for. And we ALWAYS buy a case of water - take it everywhere. Not a fan of Florida water and have to keep hydrated!

fairestoneofall
02-25-2011, 05:44 AM
We're staying in a studio at Jambo House in two months.

I'm amending my garden grocer list and am wondering if I need to purchase paper plates, cups, napkins and plastic utensils?

GusMan
02-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Not necessarily. They do stock those items for you and will refresh them when Mousekeeping comes around on the designated days.

The do provide glass drinkware as well.

Although, we do tend to bring a few small plastic bowls and plates with us just because. They do provide dishsoap and a new sponge so you can do dishes, etc.

fairestoneofall
02-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks, Gusman.
Oh! What about coffee mugs?

KJSJpipe
02-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Mugs are standard size ceramic mugs.

fairestoneofall
02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Perfect, thanks!

3Princesses1Prince
02-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Gusman.
Oh! What about coffee mugs?

Mugs are standard size ceramic mugs.

We try to bring along some disposable cups and mugs when we head to our timeshare so we can bring them to the pool (no glass).

Toocherie
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
and my experience is that they don't give you very many paper plates (which are very small, IMO) and bowls and plastic utensils. So I would rather be prepared. I keep some in my owner's locker for this purpose. I also keep a couple of travel mugs I've collected over the years in my OL because the coffee cups are way too small for me!

fairestoneofall
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
and my experience is that they don't give you very many paper plates (which are very small, IMO) and bowls and plastic utensils. So I would rather be prepared. I keep some in my owner's locker for this purpose. I also keep a couple of travel mugs I've collected over the years in my OL because the coffee cups are way too small for me!

Good to know. I have them on my list for garden grocer. I'm the only coffee drinker and I don't mind refilling my cup.
I'm not sure if OL is for us. Looking at the annual cost of it and the fact that we'll only be there one week every other year (most likely), I'm not sure it makes sense. I did check out the website today though and it seems like a really cool deal if you could capitalize off of it.

kendog80
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
When staying in a studio we always bring 2 plastic bowls and metal spoons. 1st time in studio trying to eat cereal out of the paper bowls while sitting on the couch watching tv, not so good (unless you like milk running down your leg). Don't drink much coffee so can't add much too that but I will jump on the bottled water bandwagon. Florida water is barely adequate for brushing your teeth.

As for the owners locker I can not see the appeal, even visiting 1-2 times a year it seems like most things people store in them would expire? Sunscreen, medicine, condiments, all these things have life spans. Not only that assuming you use these items at home or on other vacations you would need duplicate of everything. Maybe it's because I fly Southwest and don't have issues with baggage but after reading about the lockers in so many posts/trip reports I googled it and checked it out but I don't think it's for me.

mom22gls
03-03-2011, 03:37 AM
When staying in a studio we always bring 2 plastic bowls and metal spoons. 1st time in studio trying to eat cereal out of the paper bowls while sitting on the couch watching tv, not so good (unless you like milk running down your leg). Don't drink much coffee so can't add much too that but I will jump on the bottled water bandwagon. Florida water is barely adequate for brushing your teeth.

As for the owners locker I can not see the appeal, even visiting 1-2 times a year it seems like most things people store in them would expire? Sunscreen, medicine, condiments, all these things have life spans. Not only that assuming you use these items at home or on other vacations you would need duplicate of everything. Maybe it's because I fly Southwest and don't have issues with baggage but after reading about the lockers in so many posts/trip reports I googled it and checked it out but I don't think it's for me.

Most of the things we currently keep in our Owner's Locker, or have kept in the past, have no expiration issues. Rain ponchos, combs/brushes, band-aids, an air mattress (for the many times we have stayed in unit where the kids sleep on the fold-out couch, which they did not find comfortable without the mattress, or sometimes they preferred the floor), coffee filters, a swim vest for my daughter for when she was not a secure swimmer (she liked her own, and the hotel pools don't always have them)... As for toiletries/personal care items, I store small amounts of a number of OTR meds, and the expiration date on most personal care times are at least 1-2 years. With some stuff, I take single dosage sizes of meds we want to keep "just in case"-I order them from www.minimus.biz, which has a large selection and good prices. If I have to toss them, after a couple of years, we have not lost much. Laundry products also last for a very long time. We fly SW also, but I don't want to pack a full first aid kit and things like that every time we go down, and, yes, we have used them. We just pack our clothes, and I pack a small make-up kit, and we go. On our last trip, in January, our flight was cancelled after our luggage was processed, so we ended up spending another night at Disney; I called the nice guys at Owner's Locker, and they delivered the bin to our new hotel, so we had toothbrushes, deodorant, all that sort of thing for our unexpected overnight stay.

3Princesses1Prince
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
We are flying southwest so we'll have no shortage of luggage space for flying. So I'm thinking of bringing out most of our snacks and stuff in our suitcases. I'll do a smaller Garden Grocer order for perishables and Pepsi (I seriously couldn't survive without Pepsi for 2 weeks :eek:).

What foods travel well, or don't travel well? Also what "other stuff" should we bring along for our DVC stay?

Besides the obvious trip stuff, I'm bringing:

Pool noodles
paper plates
plastic cups, forks, spoons
coffee & filters
laundry detergent

Should I bring a Brita filter/pitcher to refill our water bottles?

GusMan
03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Should I bring a Brita filter/pitcher to refill our water bottles?
Its purely a matter of preference. Personally, I dont mind the water. Some people cant stand it. (I do add flavor packets to park water though...)