PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental Prices

runner110
08-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Is it me, or is anyone else shocked by this summer's car rental prices? On every previous trip where we've rented a car, we've gotten an amazing special (eg., $150 for a minivan for the week). Even if it was a last minute deal, some great deal always appeared. Not this time. There are a few deals for compacts, but that won't work for us (and I assume for many families with luggage). We've leaving Tuesday (8/10), and I have a full-size booked through Dollar for $269 (which is an OK deal), but I've been checking Mousesavers' discount codes daily, and no other significant specials have been announced. I wonder if the crushing crowds in Universal due to Harry Potter has increased demand that much? Universal doesn't offer airport transportation, so I assume that most visitors need cars.

TinaMouse
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I found it to be MUCH more expensive this year. We got a 7 day convertible for $199 + tax last year. Same car this year would've been $600. :mad: So, we just used all Disney transportation. It was fine. No major waits, and nothing over 15 minutes!

runner110
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
We're staying at the Swan, so we don't have Magical Express, and we're throwing in a day or two in SeaWorld, so we decided to get a car. Of course, I made these plans in April, having no idea that car rental prices wouldn't come down. If I had to do it again, we'd go a few days later to take advantage of the Disney discounts and stay on site, and leave the driving to them. Although we are looking forward to being able to walk to Epcot and HS (realizing, of course, that after we do it a few times in the 100 degree heat, it might not seem like such a great idea anymore).

wishiwasthere
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I kept checking with Dollar and got the price down to $230 for a mid-size for 11 days.

One time I got a mid-size SUV for a week for $72. Don't ask me how, but I did!