PDA

View Full Version : Western River Expedition May Be Coming to Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

JerrodDRagon
08-07-2010, 02:51 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5652380/western_river_expedition_may_be_coming.html?cat=2

It would be great to see another water based ride in the park.

cookie7762
08-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Holy cow! That sounds fantastic! I cannot wait!!!!! Although, I think that the whole "everything must be interactive" idea is a little ridiculous.

twindaddy
08-07-2010, 09:21 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5652380/western_river_expedition_may_be_coming.html?cat=2

It would be great to see another water based ride in the park.

I can already see the mousplanet threads "I saw a four year old boy in the gun line!!!" or similar debates about letting kids shoot the guns.

And didnt the whole E-ticket thing stop twenty years ago?

olegc
08-07-2010, 09:23 AM
it's nice to see someone have a great imagination. his sources he posts for his "story" only show a brief reference to Baxter wanting to expand Frontierland AND the older WRE storyline. Oh yes, and his vast knowledge of all things Disney - which I would say many folks on this pad have.

some cool ideas - but I would not suggest that the description IS or WILL BE the ride. Boat size and shape (safety), logistics of two types of boats (or 2 sides), the amount of land needed (there is some room to demolish and rebuild outside the berm - but not much), the need to move 1000 people an hour through the ride. All those things need to be considered as well.

Besides - Baxter also conceived the Discovery Bay concept, which also has had some portions of the whole concept mixed in with current attractions. That's another possibility.

It is fun to speculate and dream - but things must wait until the official word.

MadasaHatter
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that sounds wonderful. It sounds like they would have to use BIG THUNDER RANCH for the ride! I don't know where else they would build it. I am all for a NON-MOVIE ride even though I am a proponent for more Movie dark rides. Now we need to put something fun where INNOVATIONS is. Oh dear....I said we...After all I am mad.....

Mouseketeer1955
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I can already see the mousplanet threads "I saw a four year old boy in the gun line!!!" or similar debates about letting kids shoot the guns.

LOL, we could start now. Personally, I think teaching kids how to shoot is a great idea. It teaches hand-eye coordination, discipline, responsibility, gets them outside and away from the video games, and when they go hunting, they can learn where the meat on their plate come from. All in all, a win win.

Mouseketeer1955
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I think that sounds wonderful. It sounds like they would have to use BIG THUNDER RANCH for the ride! I don't know where else they would build it. I am all for a NON-MOVIE ride even though I am a proponent for more Movie dark rides. Now we need to put something fun where INNOVATIONS is. Oh dear....I said we...After all I am mad.....

It sounds like they may just put a roof over Big Thunder Ranch if they are planning on having a restaurant inside the ride.

JerrodDRagon
08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQb7re3PtYA
^it kinda reminds me of the water ride at Buffalo Bills (also a restaurant is near the ride inside)

foolishmortal
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQb7re3PtYA
^it kinda reminds me of the water ride at Buffalo Bills (also a restaurant is near the ride inside)

Cool! I'd love to see this built or some version of it! Shooting gallery would be a blast for my kids. Both my DD and DS(7) play paintball they'd get a kick out of it.

I totally had Buffalo bills in my head when I read this post/story. I bet the area across from BT with the fish and old mine would be an area to look at too.

valorycabrera1971
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
this sounds like a really awsome ride, our next trip after this Oct, would be 2015 so this would be great timing.

JerrodDRagon
08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
^either a Fronterland Ride or Tron ride will be the next big E-ticket ride at Disneyland (unless they have something under there sleeves)

Mouseketeer1955
08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
^either a Fronterland Ride or Tron ride will be the next big E-ticket ride at Disneyland (unless they have something under there sleeves)

Tron sounds great, but where would they put it? Perhaps they might get rid of Honey I Shrunk the Audience ?

Personally, I'd like to see something like Mission to Mars or something along that line.

9volt
08-08-2010, 11:57 AM

The article is just making a comparison to an E-ticket ride. Not that you would actually need an E-ticket to ride it.

goalieump413
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Frontierland needs work. A new big ride would go a long way towards refreshing things, and take some of the pressure off of New Orleans Square.

Why not incorporate the Ranch? It makes a lot of sense. They can't "go west" into the Rivers of America unless the dig a deep tunnel, so there can really be only one direction.

And as for Tron, Disney's going to wait and see how popular the movie is before announcing any major Tomorrowland changes. Not like Walt did with Sleeping Beauty's Castle. They don't take risks like that anymore.

olegc
08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Why not incorporate the Ranch? It makes a lot of sense. They can't "go west" into the Rivers of America unless the dig a deep tunnel, so there can really be only one direction..

right - and I believe that's correct. they will more than likely use it - but a ride like WRE needs a show building like Pirates or HM - which would need to be outside the berm - so you'd have both side working here. the queue would require much of the arena.

About three years ago there was information coming out that the ranch would be transformed into a Woody/Jessie land - with a meet and greet and one or two themed rides. Kind of like a transition from Fantasyland with characters to Frontierland with Characters,to the overall Frontierland.

As always - WDI has plenty of ideas and Blue Sky sessions for planning. It's what gets actually built that folks need to wait and see on. "It's coming" is not really a correct statement until you see the steel going up.

MadasaHatter
08-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Is this old news??? Why are very few commenting on this? I had never heard about WESTERN EXPEDITION until now.

My first trip to Disneyland was when BTMRR was the E Ticket attraction. THe lines were crazy! THen we rushed to SPACE MOUNTAIN! TRON could be cool but with STAR TOURS 2.0 and SPACE MOUNTAIN and THE FINDING NEMO SUBS up and running I think FRONTIERLAND should be the next focus at Disneyland.

That article about WESTERN EXPEDITION got me all excited! I really think a NEW NON CHARACTER/MOVIE attraction would be so cool and I think the shooting range thing would be very very cool. I don't see any difference with that and BLABB. Heck you shoot at ZORG! The targets would be a moving version of the SHOOTING GALLERY and I always have to do that at least once. Also another restaurant would be so cool. DIA DE LOS MUERTOS is one of my favorite holidays and I love the parade here in SF every year. I know that it is only a giant rumor but I am so down with this idea!!! I hope this time it happens and of course....I am mad...

JerrodDRagon
08-12-2010, 01:19 AM
^Soarin was the last ride to have a "non Movie tie in" and look at how that ride does now. Disney should sometimes do tie ins like Indy, Star Tours, Nemo (hate it but the lines say other wise) but I wish they could make another Classic attraction like Pirates, Big Thunder, HM that has almost nothing to do with a movie just pure imagination.

Drince88
08-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Is this old news??? Why are very few commenting on this?
I think your question is answered nicely with this post (probably the whole post, but I'm just quoting part of it here).

it's nice to see someone have a great imagination. his sources he posts for his "story" only show a brief reference to Baxter wanting to expand Frontierland AND the older WRE storyline. Oh yes, and his vast knowledge of all things Disney - which I would say many folks on this pad have.

olegc
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Is this old news??? Why are very few commenting on this? I had never heard about WESTERN EXPEDITION until now.

My first trip to Disneyland was when BTMRR was the E Ticket attraction. THe lines were crazy! THen we rushed to SPACE MOUNTAIN! TRON could be cool but with STAR TOURS 2.0 and SPACE MOUNTAIN and THE FINDING NEMO SUBS up and running I think FRONTIERLAND should be the next focus at Disneyland.

That article about WESTERN EXPEDITION got me all excited! I really think a NEW NON CHARACTER/MOVIE attraction would be so cool and I think the shooting range thing would be very very cool. I don't see any difference with that and BLABB. Heck you shoot at ZORG! The targets would be a moving version of the SHOOTING GALLERY and I always have to do that at least once. Also another restaurant would be so cool. DIA DE LOS MUERTOS is one of my favorite holidays and I love the parade here in SF every year. I know that it is only a giant rumor but I am so down with this idea!!! I hope this time it happens and of course....I am mad...

WRE is old news... but it's not common news... You need to go an internet search on WRE and the discussions around it. Disney and More and Jim Hill did fine detailed reviews in the past. The concept came out in the 70s when, as stated, they wanted a ride like Pirates but not Pirates...

Many of the elements have appeared elsewhere as pieces. Disney's history with WDI is normal in this way - the concept/Blue Sky phase sometimes does not make it to construction but pieces do. Go on a search for Westcot that was supposed to be in Long Beach, CA - and then look at Tokyo Disney Sea. You will note some similarities..

MadasaHatter
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
I just like to hear other people's ideas of attraction. I am always mentally re-doing Disneyland and dreaming of new attractions and new shows and music etc. I think Frontierland is the new Frontier....hahaha....afterallIamMAD!

Disneylandfanguy
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
It is fun to speculate and dream - but things must wait until the official word.

I agree.

Tomorrowlander
08-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Is this old news??? Why are very few commenting on this?

It is. This very article just made the rounds at micechat's boards a few weeks ago .. and was quickly recognized as someone's nice "armchair imagineering" ideas .... that would cool if it can become reality.

But it was no means to make any confirmed or even semi-confirmed news within Disney.

What we do know for sure .. is Disney is looking into tapping into the northern sections of Frontierland, once again to develop some new ride ideas.

I've ALWAYS loved Marc Davis' Western River Expedition. It's a crying shame it never got built in WDW ... but somehow .. someway .. perhaps it could be reality for Disneyland's future. Or maybe another Disney resort .. like Shanghai Disneyland perhaps??

Well ... this area of Frontierland has seen a few concepts that have come and gone into the wind ... from the 1976 concepts for Discovery Bay .... to the Geyser Mountain concept that almost got built around 2002/03.

Now going into the second decade into the 21st Century .. lets see what concept will stick this time!

Western River Expedition would be a dream come true!

So many of us are clamoring for something original. Not another tie-in to one of their films or toons. Something on the level of PotC with lots of that "old school" Disney magic. A big people eater ... lots and lots of "eye candy". A grand traditional "E Ticket" on every level.

Not including backstage ... there are some 9 acres directly west and north of Big Thunder that could easily contained a WRE size attraction and more!

Discovery Bay had TWO E Ticket sized rides planned .. and a few minor sized attractions all planned.

If Discovery Bay could fit so much in ... then the future of whatever they got in mind could contain some big ideaS.

Mouseketeer1955
08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Well ... this area of Frontierland has seen a few concepts that have come and gone into the wind ... from the 1976 concepts for Discovery Bay .... to the Geyser Mountain concept that almost got built around 2002/03.

Discovery Bay had TWO E Ticket sized rides planned .. and a few minor sized attractions all planned.

If Discovery Bay could fit so much in ... then the future of whatever they got in mind could contain some big ideaS.

I wonder if Disney's "Discovery Bay wasn't built because of this

http://www.contracostapreschools.com/c_disc_bay.jpg (http://www.todb.ca.gov/index.php)Click Here

adriennek
08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I heard there's going to be a loop.

Adrienne

olegc
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I heard there's going to be a loop.

Adrienne

i was waiting for that one...