PDA

View Full Version : 25 fun things cheaper than Disneyland

JerrodDRagon
08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
http://ocdeals.ocregister.com/2010/08/04/25-fun-things-cheaper-than-disneyland/66491/

Man I would like to do almost all of these things (I own a Universal pass already)

cstephens
08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
The list amuses me.

Malcon10t
08-05-2010, 07:53 AM
The list amuses me.Me too. It might be great for locals, but why would I drive 5-6 hours to do any of those.

T - 3 hours and counting!

adriennek
08-05-2010, 07:55 AM
#1 is Knott's Berry Farm.

So many thoughts:

1- I know how to save not just $70 on the Knott's Season Pass but the $15 for a one-day ticket!

2- I would pretty much be making money going to Knott's because you'd have to pay ME to go there.

OC Fair? What about the other 334 days of the year? (I don't mind visiting the Fair but it's not very practical 87% of the time.)

Wild Rivers??? Soak City? Not exactly Fun for the whole family?

PLAY VIDEO GAMES at "Boomers"??

Ok, I'm stopping there. Yeah. Uhm, Ok. Well maybe if people flock to all those "fun" things, the lines will be shorter at DL. ;) This list is clearly aimed at a demographic which does not include me.

Adrienne

bennette
08-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I think it's mostly directed at Orange County locals who need to find some things to do with their kids. You won't find me at Boomers or Knott's either but I suppose it can't be all Disney all the time. (I find that if I spend too much time at Disney I can't function in the "real" world! I get spoiled and whiny.)

I wish the list had contained some less material things, though. Like "read a book" or "play a game together." Those are free!

Okay, once someone visiting from a small town asked if we could go to Boomers because their kids had never done miniature golf before.

cheshirecatgirl
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah, going bowling (with snacks!) is really comparable to a day at Disneyland!

JerrodDRagon
08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I know of us (all of us) love Disneyland but the list is showing all the other things you can do, and if you have a family of four and want to do something on a friday night it costs 1,300 dollars for you all to have APs now, with that amount of cash you could all have season passes to knotts, six flags, universal, and go to the county fair (and see a movie or go bowling)

Its kinda like of course you like Disneyland its your favorite but there are other things in the world.

cstephens
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
you could all have season passes to knotts, six flags, universal

I'd rather go to Disneyland for one day than to have season passes for Knott's, Six Flags or Universal. There's a reason their APs are so inexpensive.

cheshirecatgirl
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh sure! There are way more than 25 cheaper fun things to do. I get it. I just don't think they compare! If I'm going to look for fun cheap things, though, I wouldn't pay 40 or 60 bucks for a very poor DL substitute. I'd go somewhere free or really cheap, like Old Town San Diego, the park, the beach, a museum, a nature center, etc. All of which I do with my nieces every week! If I want to go to an amusement park and pay exhorbitant sums, I want to go to one that's worthwhile!

SigalTchelet
08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=bennette;1567888]I think it's mostly directed at Orange County locals who need to find some things to do with their kids. You won't find me at Boomers or Knott's either but I suppose it can't be all Disney all the time. (I find that if I spend too much time at Disney I can't function in the "real" world! I get spoiled and whiny.)

I wish the list had contained some less material things, though. Like "read a book" or "play a game together." Those are free!

I agree. What about a day at the beach? That is free! Pack a picnic lunch.

mousecanuck
08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
off topic question: what's going on August 22/23?

darph nader
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
2 day admission to DL,,,A week fishing w/camp site. Pima Air Museum for 10 people. See 2 movies w/LARGE popcorn. :rolleyes:

ktrm
08-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh Boy, one DL trip I tried the Discovery Science Center one day just to mix things up and IMHO it was sooo boring. Not worth a $60 yearly membership at all. I often try to throw a couple of different activities into my DL trips to try different things. My favorite things were

1. Toured the Bowers Museum(which is a hop, skip,a and a jump away from DL) when they had the Terra Cotta soldier exhibit. This was one of the best art exhibits I have ever seen and they even had a person dressed up like a soldier who came to life as we walked by. AWESOME!!! They had a gem exhibit owned by Steve Jobs at the same time and it to was incredible. Just a warning though, I don't find their standing exhibits very exciting.

2. Manhattan Beach---FUN, CLEAN, and lots of volleyball. Great beach, great time.

3. San Diego Zoo--This was on their list. Not much to say here. One of the best zoos ever.

As for Boomers and Dave and Busters, boy I can do these things around the central valley, why would I waste time and gas to do these thing in Southern CA.

SigalTchelet
08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=ktrm;.

As for Boomers and Dave and Busters, boy I can do these things around the central valley, why would I waste time and gas to do these thing in Southern CA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they have Dave and Busters in San Jose and just opened one in Roseville.

adriennek
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd rather go to Disneyland for one day than to have season passes for Knott's, Six Flags or Universal. There's a reason their APs are so inexpensive.

I think that's the key to this article. It's not 25 things that are "less expensive" than Disneyland. It's 25 CHEAPER things than Disneyland. Now there are a couple of items on the list that I wouldn't mind. We have had Passes to the San Diego Zoo/WAP before and we like those attractions. But most of the things on that list are, indeed "cheap." There are plenty of less expensive things that I would enjoy that aren't on the list.

Adrienne

twindaddy
08-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, they have Dave and Busters in San Jose and just opened one in Roseville.

The one in Roseville in tiny and horrible, BTW.

My wife suggested maybe we shold try Knotts this year, this we just looked at eachother and laughed.

SigalTchelet
08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
The one in Roseville in tiny and horrible, BTW.

Good to know! Won't waste my time there!

DwarfPlanet
08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
My $.02 are with the cost in tickets/APs going up and alot of other costs increasing, plus the removal of attractions, building of new lands, we've canceled our end of 2010 or early 2011 plans to DLR and are shooting for 2012 after Cars land will be complete. So I don't need somebody showing me alist of 25 cheaper things, I can find my own stuff to do and enjoy without traveling to California here in Colorado or close by.

kimi911
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Um, I went to Knott's for 1 day 4 years ago.

Parking was more money than Disneyland.

Drinks were more money than Disneyland.

Food was more money than Disneyland.

And nothing was as good as Disneyland.

Savings? I didn't see any savings, but a nickel and dime machine inside the park that was much stronger than Disney's.

michelle6
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe the idea is less "these things are as good as Disneyland", but more "maybe you don't have to spend as much to have a fun time your family"? I don't know. Yeah, I would always pick Disneyland over any other trip or vacation - because I love it. I have a great time with my family every single time we go to DL. But I don't necessarily need DL, or the expense of it, to have a great time with my family. Really, we just need a barbecue to enjoy each other. :]

So maybe that's the idea, you don't have to go to Disneyland (and spend a lot of money!) to have a ton of fun with your family.

... or maybe I'm stretching. :]

Bytebear
08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I would add the activities of the Great Park. It's not really a great park, ironically (more like a great abandoned air field), but it does have free concerts with some relatively big names. It also has that big orange helium ball you can ride. Every thing is free except parking.

http://www.ocgp.org/