PDA

View Full Version : A A Milne

Nancy
04-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know if A A Milne has any living relatives involved in the new ride? Wasn't there a lawsuit going on concerning the Pooh name as the ride was being built?:confused:

merlinjones
04-02-2003, 12:45 PM
>>Does anyone know if A A Milne has any living relatives involved in the new ride? Wasn't there a
lawsuit going on concerning the Pooh name as the ride was being built?<<

Milne left the rights to his books and characters to several different groups including his heirs and several literary societies. They had always split royalties from Disney's exploitation (Disney optioned the film rights in the 60's). Several years ago, Disney bought out all rights from Milne's designees entirely through the expiration of the copyright.

However - - the merchandising rights for North America had been purchased by a man named Slesinger way back in the 30's and his interests have been passed to his heirs. Walt and Roy negotiated a deal with the Slesingers back in the 60's to pay them a cut of merchandising royalties.

The Slesingers have been in litigation with Disney for over ten years, as they assert the company (in the Eisner era) has cheated them out of millions in royalties from Pooh, including disputed products such as home video and computer software... and theme parks.

The suit could potentially punish Disney with substantial liability or even seek to withdraw their merchandising rights. Disney has destroyed documents related to Pooh profits and legal matters and is being reprimanded by the Court. Disney has tried to influence Milne's heirs to revoke their merchandising agreement with Slesinger. The case is still pending...

Nancy
04-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much. This is an intresting case. Do you know if "Christopher Robin "Milne is still alive? I once found an old copy of Now We are Six at a garage sale for .25 and bought it just out of respect for the author.:)

merlinjones
04-02-2003, 09:09 PM
>>Do you know if "Christopher Robin "Milne is still
alive? <<

No. He died a few years ago. His wife is still around I believe. Christopher Milne was somewhat embittered about Pooh, as the image of him as a tot with his stuffed animals stuck to him in his adult life. The incredible success of Pooh haunted him. The "real" Pooh animals still exist in a museum.

>>I once found an old copy of Now We are Six at a garage sale for .25 and bought it just out of
respect for the author.<<

Very cool.

04-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Nancy
I once found an old copy of Now We are Six at a garage sale for .25 and bought it just out of respect for the author.:)

In this case, you've deprived Disney Co. of royalties, which is okay by me since they did not originate Pooh.

Just remember that used book sales in no way benefit authors. Royalties are a writer's lifeblood. If you love an author - particularly if you think that person is living - consider buying new.