PDA

View Full Version : Pooh Economics

merlinjones
04-02-2003, 09:18 AM
crapshoot posted a breakdown of the budget for the Pooh ride over at LP, followed by a fascinating discussion of how much money was spent simply tearing out the cool CBJ stuff rather than building from scratch. In the end, they spent practically nothing on the new show itself, but a fortune on destroying the old one! :

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-33396-P-1&Refresh=0402100841

quote from thread:

>>Here is what I have heard how and why Pooh cost $30,000,000.

1. Site Preparation - $18,000,000
2. Ride Vehicles - $5,000,000
3. Attraction Theming - $2,000,000
4. Cost of Disney Labor- $5,000,000

1. Site Preparation is down right scary. The original Pooh, as a ride through concept, utilized the rake of the theater floors as an integral part of the trackway. That way they would use the elevation changes to their advantage.

That idea got canned early on and it was determined to simply level the floors of the theaters. The cost for demo, leveling, plus the track install and queue construction was $18,000,000. That is the cost to Disney for the outside Contractor construction service. WOW!

2. Ride Vehicle construction and theming.

3. The Disney Labor includes attraction design, WDI and TDA project management as well.

4. And a big whopping $2,000,000 left over for attraction theming.<<

scaeagles
04-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Sounds more like a government project to me!

LifelongAngelsFan
04-02-2003, 10:35 AM
So, they spent about $30 million of which only $12 million was dedicated to constructing the new attraction.

I can't phathom the lack of vision the executives overseeing this project had with this attraction. It is stunning.

An executive team with more vision could have clearly seen the opportunity to make this a huge attraction capable of generating considerable incremental revenue. As I've posted on another thread, instead of creating a lack-luster attraction designed strictly for young children, they would have created a compelling one designed for guests of all ages. An attraction that would attract scores of thousands of incremental resort visitors per year compared to the one that got built. One that would have inspire guests to go to Pooh store next door and spend on merchandise.

Given that they could have done lifts from the Tokoyo and WDW versions, the extra cost for creating a compelling attraction might be around $50 million (SWAG). Over a five year period, it doesn't take many incremental guest visits to provide a very impressive ROI on this incremental investment. Of course, the attraction would last for decades beyond ala POC and HM providing an ongoing incremental revenue stream.

Disney Nick
04-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Very interesting read, thanks merlin :)