PDA

View Full Version : I know Y'all Have Probably Already Seen This, But...

wdtv
03-31-2003, 11:37 AM
I'm interested in opinions:
http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al033103a.htm
Will Cynthia leave? To be honest, it looks as though she will; unless things get turned around. Jay Rasulo clearly has that "we can still make millions while sticking to our principles" attitude; and, as much as I like Cynthia and what she has done for Disneyland, it is, I think, time for her to move on. It does pain me to say it, because she has greatly improved Disneyland, and it is obvious that she "gets it" when it comes to good show.
But with a place such as Disneyland, which is so unique to begin with, we really need somebody like Jay Rasulo; someone who fully understands the entire picture, not part of it (Like Cynthia) or, God forbid, none of it (Like Pressler).
After the Happiest Place on Earth is back to its original glory, WDW desperately needs Jay to pay them a visit, too; they're in deeper water than we are :)

rexfarms
03-31-2003, 04:35 PM
I cant see any of the pics, there are little red Xs in the corners. :(

wdtv
03-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Same thing happened to me with the photos.

innerSpaceman
03-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by wdtv
as much as I like Cynthia and what she has done for Disneyland, it is, I think, time for her to move on. It does pain me to say it, because she has greatly improved Disneyland, and it is obvious that she "gets it" when it comes to good show.
Huh?? What are you referring to when you say she "gets it when it comes to good show" and what exactly is it that you think she has done for Disneyland?

furbE95
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Huh?? What are you referring to when you say she "gets it when it comes to good show" and what exactly is it that you think she has done for Disneyland?
What has she done for the park? She helped redesign tommorowland :)

wdtv
03-31-2003, 05:22 PM
The last time I visited Disneyland was last year, and before that for the anniversary; and I did see many things both times that were a vast improvement over other years. I guess I'm referring to that when I say "good show."

Yet, all the photos of areas in need of paint jobs does make me wonder

wdtv
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
And I do agree about Tomorrowland.

It's been five years, yet the place is still the worst area in Disneyland.

DisneyFan25863
03-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Sent an e-mail to Al about the pics, hope he fixes them.

Also, I agree that it is time for her departure. I just hope her leaving will bring in some people like Jay.

~DF~

Jason Reynolds
03-31-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that my computer was going crazy. I was thinking my PC was junk, when it wouldn't open those pics.

Morrigoon
03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
I'll withold my judgement on how much Rasulo "gets it" until he actually does stuff. In the meantime, I hope Cynthia can get with the program soon, I would hate to see her gone. This is a test of her adaptability as an executive - can she adjust to the new priorities?

Not Afraid
03-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
What has she done for the park? She helped redesign tommorowland :)

Oooohhhh. I wouldn't wish that remark on my worst enemy!

DaddyB
03-31-2003, 11:24 PM
Miceage exceeded their bandwidth on the server that hosts their graphics. It should be back tomorrow morning(Tuesday 4/1).

I have great hopes for Mr. Rasulo. Taking into account what he did for Euro Disney, he has the chops and the weight to get things done at DLR. And don't forget what he did with their version of 'tomorrowland' over there!

I think it may be too early to say buh-bye to Ms. Harris OR Ms. Hamburger, unless they leave on their own. They're at least trying to appease the new boss, who AIN'T the same as the old boss.

(even if they're not sure HOW)

LifelongAngelsFan
04-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by wdtv
The last time I visited Disneyland was last year, and before that for the anniversary; and I did see many things both times that were a vast improvement over other years. I guess I'm referring to that when I say "good show."

Yet, all the photos of areas in need of paint jobs does make me wonder

Hmm. I still don't understand what you see in her that would make you want her to stay. You say you saw "many things" last year that were "vast improvements". However, you can't name one of these things.

During the past five years I've seen the park fall into decay, ever more attractions closed without replacements, and no plans for adding new attractions. Granted, much of this is due to her boss. However, she did little to impede Paul's vision and more likely was stoking the fires of his directives.

Since Pressler left she has shown very little (arguably no) change in her vision for the resort. Her 50th Anniversary plan being her best opportunity to show that she "gets it" provides further evidence that she really doesn't "get it". Same goes for her plans for launching the Pooh attraction. Until Jay pulled the plug, she was wanting to create a huge marketing blitz for an attraction that would never reach that level of hype. In her mind, Pooh is an extravagent attraction. To Jay and other experts, it obviously is a mediocre one that isn't deserving that level of hype. She simply doesn't understand attractions and that attractions are what makes Disney theme parks successful.

Her heritage is in retail. That is where she should return. The sooner she leaves the sooner the resort can begin healing from the Pressler era.

Bill Catherall
04-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by LifelongAngelsFan
You say you saw "many things" last year that were "vast improvements". However, you can't name one of these things. I can. Actually I'll give you two: it's a small world, King Arthur Carousel. :)

AVP
04-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by LifelongAngelsFan
Same goes for her plans for launching the Pooh attraction. Until Jay pulled the plug, she was wanting to create a huge marketing blitz for an attraction that would never reach that level of hype.

Where did you hear about a huge marketing blitz? Before the event was cancelled, our contact at press and publicity told me that the Pooh opening was going to be a fairly low-key event. No grand parties, no weekend-long fling, just a simple morning ceremony.

Playhouse Disney was going to be a larger event - but that was being completely driven by the Disney Channel's marketing team. Disneyland's team was just along for the ride.

I am really disturbed by the anti-Cynthia Harriss bandwagon I've seen rolling through here lately. I'm not sure just when she became the root of all evil, or who appointed her to that role, but I think people are laying a LOT of blame at her feet that doesn't belong there.

AVP

LifelongAngelsFan
04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I can. Actually I'll give you two: it's a small world, King Arthur Carousel. :)

Yes, those would be the two I'd point to give her some credit.

LifelongAngelsFan
04-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Where did you hear about a huge marketing blitz? ...
AVP

From Al's update posted in this thread. I believe he also had another MiceAge article about Jay's reaction to her plan for Pooh. From reading these my understanding is she originally had a big marketing blitz planned, but that plan was reworked into the low key event that was just cancelled.

As far as Cynthia being the "root of all evil", I did state that much of the resort's issues can be put at the feet of Pressler. Per Al's commentary, it doesn't appear that she is doing much to rectify these issues.

Techie7
04-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Where did you hear about a huge marketing blitz? Before the event was cancelled, our contact at press and publicity told me that the Pooh opening was going to be a fairly low-key event. No grand parties, no weekend-long fling, just a simple morning ceremony.
You might want to check on the information that your sources gave you. The CMs and Management that I have talked with all pointed to a media event over multiple days.

AVP
04-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Was that for Pooh, or Pooh and Playhouse Disney combined? The entire event was a multi-day thing, but, as I said, the Playhouse Disney portion of the event was the larger focus - and it was being run by groups outside of Disneyland.

Since the discussion was about Cynthia Harriss, and her direct influence over the event, I was pointing out that the portion of the event that Disneyland, and thus Cynthia, had direct control over was far smaller.

AVP