PDA

View Full Version : Was the cancellation of the Pooh media events a good idea?

Darkbeer
03-31-2003, 11:10 AM
In this Morning's update at MiceAge by Al Lutz, he reports that all the special Media events have been canceled for the Grand Opening of both Pooh and Playhouse Disney.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al033103a.htm

Of course many in TDA immediately realized that although the executives hearts may be in the right place, the fact that all of those press events aimed at gathering as much free publicity as possible would be completely lost in the media amongst the more important issues of the day. And why spend all that money to wine and dine the Press if your soundbites and marketing message are going to be drowned out by the war drums anyway? So the plug was pulled on almost everything, and the two new attractions will just quietly open their doors the weekend after next, just like every other attraction opens its doors and begins operation on a normal morning.

Now, the DLR is not the only SoCal theme park that has an attraction opening in the next month or so.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is opening their newest Roller Coaster, Scream!, they currently still have a Media Day scheduled for April 10th. The ride opens to the public April 12th.

Knott's Berry Farm is schedule to kick off their 20th anniversary celebration of Camp Snoopy April 12th, with the opening of the new Camp Snoopy Theater and the new ride, Joe Cool's GR8 SK8. They also have an adult ride, El Revolucion schedule to open Memorial Day.

Sea World San Diego's newest attraction, R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse starts AP previews April 12th, for a Memorial Day weekend official opening.

Universal Studios Hollywood has Shrek 4-D opening May 23rd.

LEGOLAND California has it's new ride, BIONICLE Blaster scheduled to open shortly, followed by the new LEGO Sports Center to open in Mid-May.

So, it will be interesting to watch and see how these other Theme Parks handle their Grand Openings.

If they have large Grand Opening events, it will be very telling as to why Disney decided to scrap the Pooh/Playhouse Disney events.

merlinjones
03-31-2003, 11:22 AM
They should take advantage of this major action and delay opening the Pooh ride until it can be properly retooled. Get Tony Baxter in there to do a layover, rework the show, story, effects and art direction before opening it.

They really can't afford another limp along addition and bad word of mouth.

furbE95
03-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
They should take advantage of this major action and delay opening the Pooh ride until it can be properly retooled. Get Tony Baxter in there to do a layover, rework the show, story, effects and art direction before opening it.

They really can't afford another limp along addition and bad word of mouth.

That would be a good idea. Indeed, if the ride is as bad as people are saying the SHOULD rework it. But do you really think that is gonna happen? Sounds too much like wishful thinking to me.

wdtv
03-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Didn't see this link was posted already :)

I dunno if it was a great idea to postpone/cancel the events. On one hand, it's a good idea if they want to re-work parts of the attraction (Which I doubt they'll do, but who knows?). On the other hand, it kinda hurts Disneyland's rep (Not much, but a little).

I don't buy into them cancelling it due to the war. I have a suspicion that Jay Rasulo had something to do with it.

merlinjones
03-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Does anyone know if Michael has been on the finished ride yet?

Doodle Duck
03-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Merlinjones...please don't taske this as anything but a curiosity post...but are you on a crusade regarding this ride....I mean it's just a little ride afterall...

MammaSilva
03-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok hands down, not that my kid won the contest, but I for one would be beyond upset 'if' she had won, we as a family were over the top excited about a paid trip to the park and an opportunity to see the wiggles live (even if it was just the parade thing) then to be told oops so sorry, we're not going to give you a paid trip to the park because the 'somber mood' of the country means it would be inappropriate to be celebrating.. so here is an autographed CD.. enjoy... how many 3/4 year olds can appreciate that the Wiggles signed a CD case, and even still bigger question, how many 3/4 year olds are aware we are at war Unless their daddy/mommy is deployed? An autographed CD instead of a trip to DCA/Disneyland.. yeah that's fair... I don't care what fine print loopholes there were in the contest.. that just sucks IMHO.....cancel the media crapola, cancel the perky Ambassador (we saw her NYE.. perky doesn't begin to describe her) but give the kids their trip AND an autographed CD sheesh...

furbE95
03-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Merlinjones...please don't taske this as anything but a curiosity post...but are you on a crusade regarding this ride....I mean it's just a little ride afterall...
It may just be a little ride, but its also the first new ride since indy! You would think that after waiting so long for a new ride, we would be treated with a first class ride, not a ride with less believable effects than some of the rides that have been in fantasyland for decades.

merlinjones
03-31-2003, 10:19 PM
>>Merlinjones...please don't taske this as anything but a curiosity post...but are you on a crusade regarding this ride....I mean it's just a little ride afterall...<<

...For a property that has grossed Billions? No such thing as little there.

I'm always on a crusade against corporate mediocrity and further degradation of Walt's legacy ("the brand" to marketing types).

After all, I was taught to "Look to the name Walt Disney for the finest in family entertainment". I still expect this to be true... or has the company abandoned that principle?

merlinjones
04-01-2003, 04:58 AM
>>....I mean it's just a little ride afterall...<<

But it might have been a very grand ride.

If ALL the small details of Disneyland were mediocre, it would be California Adventure... wouldn't it?

Doodle Duck
04-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Yeah...I guess your mostly correct there.

Considering the source though (Pressler) I never expected much out of it in the first place, so I guess was a bit surprised that it was anything at all and since that 'person' is gone, I think the future and new BIGGER rides just might be on the horizon. So this 'little ride' is no biggie either way. But yes...it COULD have been a wonder like japan's...but it's not.
I understand that Rasulo understands the difference that Pressler did not...so we have another little dark ride to hold us over till the new regime gets it in gear. I just hope they do.

Tref
04-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Merlin said, "I'm always on a crusade against corporate mediocrity and further degradation of Walt's legacy ("the brand" to marketing types)."

Go get 'em, Merlin!

HBTiggerFan
04-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Personally I think that Disney (Jay R.) knows they messed up and are trying to not have a bunch of underwhelming negative publicity about the new attractions, using the somber state of the nation as an "excuse".

Personally I would like to see some *cheery* news such as a media event for Pooh and Playhouse Disney covered on the news and by the media. The news is starting to cover things other than the war, normal primetime tv is on, why not a brief story about the new ride?

So to wrap up, I would like to see some *cherry* news on TV and I think that Disney is using the war and the "somber state of the nation" as an excuse to not have negative publicity.

LifelongAngelsFan
04-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

...For a property that has grossed Billions? No such thing as little there.

I'm always on a crusade against corporate mediocrity and further degradation of Walt's legacy ("the brand" to marketing types).

After all, I was taught to "Look to the name Walt Disney for the finest in family entertainment". I still expect this to be true... or has the company abandoned that principle?

Right on!

The point is Pooh is Disney's most popular character and one loved by all ages. Creating a Pooh attraction presents the opportunity to have a huge attraction that would draw millions of visitors for decades to come. An attraction enjoyed by visitors of all ages and one that the entire family can enjoy. An attraction that would be the catalyst for vast merchandise sales.

This opportunity has been squandered by creating a lack-luster attraction targeted for strictly for pre-schoolers. As you have been pointing out, one of Walt's keys to success with Disneyland was not creating attractions that appeal only to young children. Like Walt said, "you are dead if you do this". This attraction is quite dead.

The false economy behind the strategy for this attraction is quite sad. By chosing to not invest proper funds for a project of this significance, the attraction will result in scores of thousands fewer visits to the resort that would have resulted from a properly executed Pooh attraction. The loss in merchandising revenue due both to the lost park attendance and uninspired shoppers is yet another revenue loss. Collectively, these loses will far out weigh the cost savings forced upon this project.

This is the trouble with the vision of the executives at TDA. It's the same vision that resulted in DCA.

Jay's reaction to this attraction provides me a glimmer of hope that the resort can be saved.

cemeinke
04-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Wel it seems that is was a good idea for MiceAge since that's where the media seems to be going now to find out why the event was cancelled. :rolleyes:

HowardBeale
04-02-2003, 08:53 AM
MerlinJones wrote:

<I'm always on a crusade against corporate mediocrity and further degradation of Walt's legacy ("the brand" to marketing types).

After all, I was taught to "Look to the name Walt Disney for the finest in family entertainment". I still expect this to be true... or has the company abandoned that principle?>

Very true indeed.