PDA

View Full Version : Chance the Hatbox Ghost will return to Haunted Mansion?

moofeet
07-23-2010, 07:02 AM
At San Diego Comic con, it was announced that a rebooted HAUNTED MANSION film will be produced (by Guillermo del Toro) and The Hatbox Ghost will be the central character! So is this the biggest chance we have of him returning to the Mansion?? :D

olegc
07-23-2010, 07:35 AM
it could be - but you would not see it until the movie comes out so that Disney can get maximum tie-in. that I believe is 2012 at earliest.. there have been many rumors that it's "ready to go" and even some quotes from Imagineers on work on a new AA figure - but as with anything Disney - don't believe anyone 100% until Disney makes a formal announcement. That includes high-profile in the know website bloggers.

IllusionOfLife
07-23-2010, 06:00 PM
It's not Disney's style to make any concrete plans until something has been proven. They can blue sky and be prepared if something is a success, but if it's not the plan instantly goes in the 'oh well, we tried' bin.

For example, Disney conceived an Atlantis: The Lost Empire re-theme of Submarine Voyage, but then Atlantis tanked so the idea was abandoned. In a similar fashion, Disney has announced that they're developing ideas for a TRON attraction, but if TRON: Legacy fails to turn a profit (a highly unlikely scenario) than I can guarantee that a TRON attraction will never happen.

Disney's probably working on their 'what ifs' but until they know for sure, it's not going to happen.

olegc
07-23-2010, 06:03 PM
In a similar fashion, Disney has announced that they're developing ideas for a TRON attraction, but if TRON: Legacy fails to turn a profit (a highly unlikely scenario) than I can guarantee that a TRON attraction will never happen.

slightly OT - but the Tron thing is supposed to include some tie-ins at the park with the film. Maybe not a full fledged attraction to start - but the rumor is Captain Eo may take his last voyage. At least what I have heard/read is that building and marketing overlays are a go.

IllusionOfLife
07-23-2010, 06:14 PM
slightly OT - but the Tron thing is supposed to include some tie-ins at the park with the film. Maybe not a full fledged attraction to start - but the rumor is Captain Eo may take his last voyage. At least what I have heard/read is that building and marketing overlays are a go.

Oh yeah, I know about that. The big thing they've confirmed is a Flynn's Arcade overlay to the Starcade. I imagine, though, that this will be more temporary like the Indiana Jones Summer of Hidden Mysteries was. The main attraction they're talking about is something that'd be much more permanent than that.

JerrodDRagon
07-23-2010, 08:51 PM
^If Tron is the next big thing I will eat my shoes....we Will see a Tron Ride

Anyway back to this, unless the movie does not do we'll (if it gets half as many people as Alice did it will be fine) we will see the Hatbox ghost back in the attic...WHOOO

Michael24
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think I'm familiar with this Hotbox Ghost. Does anybody have a picture? When was he part of the ride, and when was he taken out? I'm guessing maybe he was before my time.

IllusionOfLife
07-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think I'm familiar with this Hotbox Ghost. Does anybody have a picture? When was he part of the ride, and when was he taken out? I'm guessing maybe he was before my time.

Here, try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatbox_Ghost

And JerrodDRagon, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that you think TRON: Legacy will or will not be successful?

JerrodDRagon
07-23-2010, 10:06 PM
^yeah I was trying to say I would eat my shoes "if it was not a success" meaning I know it going to be the next Pirates for Disney.

u1nk3n
08-04-2010, 02:53 AM
I just hope that the new Haunted Mansion movie does the attraction justice (the Eddie Murphy version, as much as I like him, was a MAJOR disappointment, especially after a fantastic POTC movie). I have a feeling that Disney has learned its lesson, but I wish I knew that for sure.

jaydoe
08-04-2010, 12:48 PM
*sigh* I think I am one of the very few who actually LOVE the Haunted Mansion movie with Eddie Murphy. My daughter and I will often watch it when we are missing DL.

LaserKitty
08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the HM movie too! I've watched it so many times the kids roll their eyes when I suggest it :p

IllusionOfLife
08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
The biggest problem I had with Disney's first stab at doing a Haunted Mansion movie that it became more about fitting in every aspect of the ride and less about telling a compelling story. The brilliance of Pirates of the Caribbean was that it focussed first and foremost on telling an interesting story, obviously the ride has very little story to adapt so elements from the ride were used to help create a similar feel and tone, but the story didn't hinge on those things.

With The Haunted Mansion, however, the script seemed to be written from the perspective of "we need to have every scene from the ride present, after that just work out something to pad the movie out to feature-length."

Hopefully Del Toro's take on the property will be much more imaginative and compelling.

LaserKitty
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
The biggest problem I had with Disney's first stab at doing a Haunted Mansion movie that it became more about fitting in every aspect of the ride and less about telling a compelling story. The brilliance of Pirates of the Caribbean was that it focussed first and foremost on telling an interesting story, obviously the ride has very little story to adapt so elements from the ride were used to help create a similar feel and tone, but the story didn't hinge on those things.

With The Haunted Mansion, however, the script seemed to be written from the perspective of "we need to have every scene from the ride present, after that just work out something to pad the movie out to feature-length."

Hopefully Del Toro's take on the property will be much more imaginative and compelling.

That's what I love about it, actually. A lot of movies don't make sense- ever see Crank 1 & 2?- and just cram a bunch of stuff in for the sake of having a lot of that kind of..well...stuff. I don't get to DL very often and a cute movie like HM with almost every aspect of the ride is nice to watch when I'm missing the Happiest Place on Earth =)
As much as I loved the movie version of POTC I was disappointed that it didn't really resemble the ride at all.

IllusionOfLife
08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
That's what I love about it, actually. A lot of movies don't make sense- ever see Crank 1 & 2?- and just cram a bunch of stuff in for the sake of having a lot of that kind of..well...stuff. I don't get to DL very often and a cute movie like HM with almost every aspect of the ride is nice to watch when I'm missing the Happiest Place on Earth =)
As much as I loved the movie version of POTC I was disappointed that it didn't really resemble the ride at all.

I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. From my perspective, the story is the absolute, single most important thing of any movie. A movie can have humor, it can have action, it can have great special effects, but if it doesn't have a compelling story to tie it all together what's the point?

If all I really wanted was to be reminded of the ride while I'm at home, YouTube would serve me better to be honest.

ChurroGirl
08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I can't remember where I read it but rumor had it that Disney had slated monnies to incorporate a new version of the Hat Box Ghost but pulled the funds for something else.

The Hat Box Ghost was an original idea from Yale Gracey. The effect didnt work as he had wanted to and so removed it because he had kept with Walt's ideas of everything working as it should. With it not working he took it out. The effect was in place for 1 day and then removed.

The Hat Box Ghost's Picture is all over HM.

LaserKitty
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. From my perspective, the story is the absolute, single most important thing of any movie. A movie can have humor, it can have action, it can have great special effects, but if it doesn't have a compelling story to tie it all together what's the point?

If all I really wanted was to be reminded of the ride while I'm at home, YouTube would serve me better to be honest.

Yep, to each their own. If everyone always liked the same thing, there would never be anything new =)

JerrodDRagon
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
I can't remember where I read it but rumor had it that Disney had slated monnies to incorporate a new version of the Hat Box Ghost but pulled the funds for something else.

The Hat Box Ghost was an original idea from Yale Gracey. The effect didnt work as he had wanted to and so removed it because he had kept with Walt's ideas of everything working as it should. With it not working he took it out. The effect was in place for 1 day and then removed.

The Hat Box Ghost's Picture is all over HM.

I heard it was to add the new Indy AA's.