PDA

View Full Version : Y or N: Change "Alice" ride into Tim Burton's style?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

potzbie
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
A recent thread said that the DL Fantasyland dark ride "Alice in Wonderland" is down for couple of days.
This made me wonder about upgrades and improvements.
Thus my unofficial "poll" about changing "Alice".

Q. Do you support the notion of re-vamping the ALICE IN WONDERLAND ride to reflect the (2010) Tim Burton film version?

I myself am torn.
• The present "Alice" ride fits the animated version (1951) fine.
• But a refurbishment to the (2010) Tim Burton version would be pretty wild. Even at a vehicle speed of (est.) six feet per second, it would kind of scary, if the right visuals were added in.

Imagine Paul Frees's voice saying, in the middle of the ride:
"As as in uffish thought I stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood
And burbled as it came!"

Niwel
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
NO!

Big, big NO!

It's one thing to infuse the new movie into the tea cups... but I say leave the attraction alone since it is about her first foray into wonderland and the film is about her second.

HauntedKid
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...don`t touch it...it`s a classic.
I`d rather have a Burton`s "ride mix", like putting together alice, nightmare and the soon to be released sleeping beauty....:)

Escape2Disney
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
A big NO from me as well! I like that Fantasyland is dedicated to the older Disney movies.

JerrodDRagon
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
No the rails are going to be bad enough

DLANDLUVR
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Noooo. i like the classicness. and yes, the rails are pretty bad too.

IllusionOfLife
07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Wait… Rails? Teacups? Huh?! Could someone please fill me in on what these crazy things I'm hearing mean?

Anyway, back to the point at hand. I have to say no. Burton's Wonderland was by far the best Alice film to date (seeing as it was the only one that actually had a narrative you could follow through the whole thing there wasn't much competition) but it was still not that great of a movie. However, the classic Walt Disney film fits the theming of Fantasyland far better.

Fantasyland has a very classic and nostalgic feel and the Wonderland section is very fun and whimsical. As arguably striking as the visuals in Burton's Wonderland may have been, it simply would be unwelcome in Fantasyland and ruin the whimsical charm it has. Besides, the Fantasyland attractions are favorites for Parents with young children especially. A darker, more frightening Alice ride is not going to go over well at all.

I'm totally fine with Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, I thought that Pirates' Lair was a much needed refresh of Tom Sawyer's Island (which was about as pointless as the residential district of Toontown is now, both due to lawyers), and I think the Disney characters in Small World are a fun addition that doesn't detract from the rest of the experience. So it's clear that I'm not one of those people who think any changes are a crime against Walt Disney's name and the ideal situation of the park would be to restore it to how it was on opening day 1955, wet pavement and all. However, I think that Burtonifying the Alice dark ride is a very bad idea.

Sell the Mad Hatter hats with the ridiculous orange hair, cast a Johnny Depp lookalike as a meet and greet character, I don't care. If Disney wants to promote their movie that is currently the 5th highest grossing film of all time worldwide, than they have every right, but it would be a huge mistake to change the ride. Even if the new film was better and more successful (and by better, I only mean that it wasn't terrible like every other adaptation has been).

Tomorrowlander
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
NO

This is the only Disney park to have a dark ride on Walt's 1951 version of Alice.

But if Disney wants to develop one for anyone of it's MANY other theme parks around the world .. hack at it.

aznewsboy
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
NO! I know I'm in the minority of people who dislike the HMH but I'd be pretty irritated if they did the same thing to Alice. No thanks!

TowerofTerror
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
No keep it how it is?

IslandDisneyGirl
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Although the Tim Burton version was a good movie. I think the Alice ride should be kept as Walt originally intended. I think to change the ride might make it to scary for the little kids. Some kids already have a hard time with Snow White's Scary Adventures.

If they wanted to do a Halloween makeover for the season that might be a good idea but just for the season.

Anyway.. That's just my opinion - Aloha

disney42dude
07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
N to the O!

Michael24
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I love Alice the way it is.

I like the idea of a Halloween make over, actually. But as for permanently? No.

DisneyIndy
07-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Definitely no. I like it just the way it is. It's classic.

Nikara
07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
No for the idea of actually changing the current ride. But it could be interesting in a different park. My sister and I have always dreamed of a sort of Villain's Land park, aimed at an older audience, with a focus on the bad guys. The craziness of the Burton Alice would fit in well somewhere like that :)

ChurroGirl
07-21-2010, 06:19 PM
N.o.

MadasaHatter
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Well of course I had to chime in on this one.

Keep it as is.

I didn't care for the Tim Burton film at all. I found it rather tedious and enjoyed the above ground Alice more than Wonderland.

Alice in Wonderland is not a story with a through line. It was never intended to be and that is the beauty of it.

Of course....I am mad.

Chadsgal
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
NO

I would cry if they did that. And I loved the new movie but it is about her second trip and I don't beileve that belongs in FL.

zombie pirate
07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
NO I did not think that Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was that good, I gave the DVD to my nieghbor after watching it one time. If it aint broke, then why fix it,

cheshirecatgirl
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Absolutely not! Keep it as it is! The only thing I would like to see change is the line. It is always much too long when I am there and I don't get to ride nearly as often as I'd like because it's out in the blazing sun. Make a nice covered queue, and I will be on it all the time! But don't change the ride! It's the only place I get to see the Cheshire Cat!

The Mouse Is Back
07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Absotively posilutely NO NO NO NON NYET NEIN. NEVAH!!!

First, Burton's film has nothing to do with the story of Alice - it's a sequel not written by the original author (which would make it a fauxquel, I guess). I hate it when artistes get so full of themselves that they actually believe they can improve upon the imaginations of the original writers of classic stories. FAIL.

Second, the ride is in Fantasyland, which is geared to the innocence of childhood. Burton's Alice film is anything but child-friendly. If they have to warn parents about "Snow White's Scary Adventure" possibly being too much for young children, they'd have to place an age restriction on a Burton Alice ride.

Third, I'm generally a hater of slipstreaming multiple projects into each other. Pirates is ruined for me on numerous levels with the CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW and DAVY JONES DAVY JONES DAVY JONES references randomly dropped in with no rhyme or reason and the original ride soundtrack all but obliterated by the movie's theme music. I agree with others whose sentiments are that if you want a ride based on a movie - make a new ride! Don't screw up an old one.

(At least no one's proposing a "Tinkerbell in Wonderland" makeover...:::shudder:::...)

Ally

quackinup
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
YES
(not really...I just thought the other side should be represented here)

The Mouse Is Back
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
YES
(not really...I just thought the other side should be represented here)

Why, I oughtta...*shaking fist*

:cool:

Ally

Angie2009
07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
No no no no no.

potzbie
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Big, big NO!
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...don`t touch it...it`s a classic.
A big NO from me as well!
Noooo.
No thanks!
I think the Alice ride should be kept as Walt originally intended.
N to the O!
Definitely no.
No for the idea of actually changing the current ride.
N.o.
Keep it as is.
I would cry if they did that.
If it aint broke, then why fix it,
Absolutely not! Keep it as it is!
Absotively posilutely NO NO NO NON NYET NEIN. NEVAH!!!
No no no no no.

:eyeroll: ... Uh ... O-keeeeee...
I sense some ambiguity here . . . . . .
:rolleyes:
How about just one little Jabberwock? Like at the end, or something?
;)