PDA

View Full Version : Exercise at DLR

dgdisney
03-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey--after reading through all those threads about favorite eats I realized that someone out there must have a favorite jogging route around DLR! Seriously! Normally we stay at my folks house (and have a lovely run on Orange--so you can see that my standards are not high). Anyway- does anyone have a jogging route suggestions for 3-4 miles. We are staying at the GCH (I leave the treadmills to my husband).

Any input is appreciated!:)

YellowMan
03-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Hmm...As for exact distances I haven't a clue, but I know of a route (much less than 3-4 miles) that I have seen some joggers taking. It cuts through Downtown Disney, between the entrances to the two parks, through the Transportation area, then South on Harbor and then circling around DCA until you finally end up back in Downtown Disney. I'm sure this route could be done a few times and would add up to your desired distance. Also, I'm not quite sure how Disney feels about having joggers jogging through Downtown Disney and in front of the parks, but I have seen it done before (always before the parks open (in the 6:00-8:00 AM time frame) and never have I seen these joggers approached and told to stop running.

I hope this helps.

dgdisney
03-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks Yellowman. I was wondering about running between the lands (wondering if it would be disrespectful--kind of silly but...after all it is not a cemetary but it is quite the special entryway). Hopefully that will be a route that works!;) And, I will be waking up early--good thinking!

Mukta
03-31-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't run, but I do go to DL regularly for exercise. I carry 10 pounds, either in ankle weights or in my backpack and I
start at the entrance,
go left through adventureland,
go all the way to the Exit of Splash,
back to New Orleans
go through Frontierland,
take the back path to Fantasyland,
walk the Small world walkway to Toon Town,
go up the hill to Mickey's house,
back down to Fantasyland
go around Matterhorn to Tomorrowland
and back to the entrance.

Tarzan's Treehouse is always good for exercise too.

I'm usually there on weeknights close to closing time so crowds are not an issue. I belong to a gym, but the scenery is so much nicer at DL. :D

dgdisney
03-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Mukta-just out of curiousity-how long is your circuit (if you were serious about DL for exercise!)

Yours is exactly the reason that I want to try to run a marathon--running through WDW must be so terrific!

Thanks for the response!

Lani
03-31-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by dgdisney
Hey--after reading through all those threads about favorite eats I realized that someone out there must have a favorite jogging route around DLR!There sure is, dgdisney. I wrote an article called "Staying Fit on Vacation (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp020424.htm)" that gives you a short route around the park. Please note that since I wrote the article, I discovered that the route is not quite 3 miles (it's probably a tad shorter than 2.75).

Depending on how long you need to run, you can just head out on one of the main roads and go your distance, then turn back around.

During our marathon training last fall, Alex and I ran from Disneyland to Knott's Berry Farm and back using the main roads. That came out to 15 miles (and 16, when by extending our route a handful of blocks), which was a good distance at 6:00 on a Sunday morning. Be aware that you want to do this early, because these are big city streets that get full of exhaust fumes and whatnot during the day.

Lani
03-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Yours is exactly the reason that I want to try to run a marathon--running through WDW must be so terrific!I wrote about this year's WDW Marathon here at MousePlanet at "Agony of Da Feet: 2003 WDW Marathon (http://www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/lt030205lt.htm)" if you haven't read it yet.

If you are contemplating doing the 2004 WDW Marathon, register today. At the pace registration is going, they will probably fill up within another month. The half-marathon registration set a blistering record pace of filling up in only 12 days.

dgdisney
03-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks Lani-I really enjoyed reading your account of the WDW marathon. I am still a few years away - my little one needs to go to school a few hours more a day so I can train! Although no substitute for even the WDW half marthon I think I will try the Seattle half marathon this year. It is always scheduled to coincide with rainy, cold, and gloomy Thanksgiving weekend! What could be better!

I look forward to hearing more about your running adventures and will read your running log to see what I am up against!!

Thanks again!

kisroo
03-31-2003, 06:03 PM
I know you said that the treadmills at the GC weren't for you, but they also have elliptical trainers. :)

julia
03-31-2003, 06:08 PM
When I go to Disneyland or Disney World, I just take the time off of the exercise routine from home of kickboxing and/or aerobics. I always feel like I get a lot of exercise just walking around the parks - I love exercise that doesn't feel like exercise and if I have something to distract me from the rigors.

Have a great day!

rexfarms
04-01-2003, 02:54 PM
You just have to stay away from the churros.;)

dgdisney
04-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey Rexfarms--my problem is not the churros (I admit-I have never had one!) - my problem is the candy of the day at the candy kitchen!!

Thanks though---I will try to not pick up any more habits than I already have:( :)

rexfarms
04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey Rexfarms--my problem is not the churros (I admit-I have never had one!) - my problem is the candy of the day at the candy kitchen!!

Thanks though---I will try to not pick up any more habits than I already have:( :)

The candy, and the churros and the popcorn and the dole whip, and the fudge(seasonal) etc etc. ;) Whats Disney trying to do to us?;)