PDA

View Full Version : Can I drive the Sub?

Doodle Duck
03-28-2003, 08:23 AM
How are people chosen to do what they do at DL? Can one request a job type? Like wanting to drive the Monorail...or wanting to drive the Fire Engine (just examples...pick any job)

OR are they placed in say Attractions generally and then promoted to certain jobs???

Are ugly people hired/cast differently? Old? Fat? Stupid? Smart? Pretty? Handsome?

Not the company line...the real situation please from experience.

Polar33
03-28-2003, 01:13 PM
I think that if the casting people like you enough (and there are openings), they can place you exactly where you want to work. Most of the time they claim there are no openings if they don't think you would work well in that department. From what I understand most people hire into their first attraction at random and then can cross-train after a few months have gone by.

As to casting differently...well... I'm not sure if it's much help but I think they are sending all the extremely stupid people into ODV this year. :rolleyes:

Granted, I wouldn't want to put them in an attractions position that might endanger guests but does casting have to send all the stupid people my direction?

I wish I was joking, last week we had too many people scheduled so we sent a few to Village Haus to help them out. One CM stared back at the lead when told and said "that's the one next to Space Mountain right?" I could go on all day, but I nead to get ready for work now. It's going to be a long summer.

napframe
03-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Polar33
I could go on all day, but I nead to get ready for work now. It's going to be a long summer.

If I worked at Disneyland, I would look forward to posting that on the boards everyday.

LifelongAngelsFan
03-28-2003, 01:52 PM
I wish I was joking, last week we had too many people scheduled so we sent a few to Village Haus to help them out. One CM stared back at the lead when told and said "that's the one next to Space Mountain right?" ...

Don't all CM go through Disneyland University? If so, I'd hope that they would teach all CMs the layout of DLR and require all CMS to correctly answer simple questions such as these.

MonorailMan
03-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm gussing that previous experince with helping the public, can also make you more likely to get a job that deals with the public more, right? :confused:

rexfarms
03-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I'm gussing that previous experince with helping the public, can also make you more likely to get a job that deals with the public more, right? :confused:
Probably.

cujosr
03-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by LifelongAngelsFan
Don't all CM go through Disneyland University? If so, I'd hope that they would teach all CMs the layout of DLR and require all CMS to correctly answer simple questions such as these. After going through DLU I can honestly tell you they DON'T teach you the layout of the park you are expected to go through on your own time and find everything. DLU just teaches the basics rules and regulations of the parks and the expectaions of the average CM. I hated those Do's and Don'ts plays.

PhilMP
03-28-2003, 10:46 PM

Granted, I wouldn't want to put them in an attractions position that might endanger guests but does casting have to send all the stupid people my direction?

I wish I was joking, last week we had too many people scheduled so we sent a few to Village Haus to help them out. One CM stared back at the lead when told and said "that's the one next to Space Mountain right?" I could go on all day, but I nead to get ready for work now. It's going to be a long summer.

Oh come now, you could train a MONKEY to work Attractions, everything's so automated over there. We probably endanger more guests, pushing these car-type vehicles all over the park, which contain no brakes and no efficient way of steering, other than to push or pull with all your weight on a handle or bar or whatnot. They should be giving us the smart ones, takes a bit more intellect to add than push a button.

And OMG, I think I had to put up with that guy. I'm trying to tell this guy the way to N-19(Fantasyland Costuming), and I'm telling him to go through the gate next to IASM, and go straight, it's just across from TDA. I repeat these instructions to him about 5 times, and I still think he got it wrong.

rexfarms
03-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Genius. But I dont think they are going to give each person that wants to be a CM an IQ test.

Polar33
03-29-2003, 12:57 AM
rexfarms...they should. But then, if they did, there would be a lot more shifts left unfilled.

As for Disneyland University, I believe I was one of the last groups of people who got the "old-style" class where they would actually take you in-park and get you a little familiar with the areas. With the opening of DCA the format has changed and I believe that the above is no longer part of it. Around the same time the on-the-job training changed resort-wide too. The new system takes the decision of what to train and how to train it away from the individual departments and trainers and uses guidelines made up by people who have no working knowledge of the locations themselves. Smart, no?

I can’t speak for other departments but training has been grossly consolidated in ODV, before it took 3 days to train on 1/3 of the department, now you get trained on the entire department in the same 3 days. They don’t train them by working the wagons for a shift anymore either, just give an overview. That, added to the less-than-Disney-quality CMs we have been getting, is a recipe for disaster.

Did I mention it took over a month to fire a new-hire that was caught smoking on her wagon…twice? It's going to be a long summer indeed.

LFuzzy
03-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Hello all, nice to meet you.

I have a few questions about working at DLR (Anahiem).
What do you do when a very large person doesn't fit into
the Attraction seat? :D

What are the shift starting/ending times?
How bad is the traffic on the freeways in the morning? (55N to 5N)

I think I'm going to apply for a position next week.
I see they have openings in Attractions, Janitorial, and Candy maker, that I could do. Food service and retail sales are not
my cup of tea. Since I have an engineering background, I really
want to see how the Attractions work. I would love to see
inside the Indy ride, when the lights are on. (Last year, I was in the line for Indy, for my first time, when the flickering lights went full bright. I said to my wife, 'the ride just broke down'. Several people around us looked at me funny. Then over the PA... "We're having Technical problems...". )

I have read many good tips on this board. Anything else I should know?

Thanks a lot.

DisneyFan25863
03-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by LFuzzy

First of all, welcome ;)

Anyway, they will either get an seatbelt extender or put them in a wheelchair area (they are bigger). I think :D

Techie7
03-29-2003, 12:58 PM
ANY guest that can not safely ride on an attraction will be denied access.

corrinhorn
03-29-2003, 01:16 PM

As to casting differently...well... I'm not sure if it's much help but I think they are sending all the extremely stupid people into ODV this year. :rolleyes:

Great, I can't wait to come back, maybe I will have to pretend to be new, just to see how many stupid people they have really hired, the new people always like to act like they know everything when there is a newer person around...

See y'all soon!!!

PhilMP
03-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Did I mention it took over a month to fire a new-hire that was caught smoking on her wagon…twice? It's going to be a long summer indeed.

And don't forget said CM shaved her hair off, blatant disregard for Disney Look guidelines.

I found it funny that she was talking about trying to gain seniority one night on my 3-hour break. Myself and about 4 others at the table, were trying not to laugh.

And corrin, you have a year pin, you can't make like you're new. And the new people like to think they know everything when there's an old-school vendor around. I was pushing a load of churros out of the office to churros 3 (or 6, I just remember it was West Side), and this guy ask me "Do you know where you're going with that?"

I'm being polite, not angry yet, so I answer politely "Yes...I do." He nods and goes, "Are you sure you know where that's going?" I stated that since I'm the one that checked the wagon, I kind of think I know where it's going. He then tells me that I have to through Splash Mountain gate and Critter Country to get to said churro wagon, when I know there's an elevator that ends up in NOS. So now I'm fed up, so I just walk away so I don't curse this guy out.

Oh well...hopefully I'll just have to put up with Spring Break, and if all goes according to plan, my summer will be spent at Technical Services.

Phil

cujosr
03-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Whoa!!! Dega VU!!!!

cujosr
03-30-2003, 01:31 AM

What are the shift starting/ending times?
How bad is the traffic on the freeways in the morning? (55N to 5N)

I think I'm going to apply for a position next week.
I see they have openings in Attractions, Janitorial, and Candy maker, that I could do. Food service and retail sales are not
my cup of tea. Since I have an engineering background, I really
want to see how the Attractions work. I would love to see
inside the Indy ride, when the lights are on. (Last year, I was in the line for Indy, for my first time, when the flickering lights went full bright. I said to my wife, 'the ride just broke down'. Several people around us looked at me funny. Then over the PA... "We're having Technical problems...". )

I have read many good tips on this board. Anything else I should know?

Thanks a lot. Welcome LFuzzy!!I like your entusiasim but i think your post is off the current "sub"ject . :rolleyes: why don't you start a new thread and ask the same questions. you might get an answer more quickly that way.

danyoung
03-30-2003, 04:53 AM

This is a good time to mention a cast member's excellent work on Star Tours (sorry, but I don't remember her name). This was about 3 years ago. I was visiting DL with my younger, much larger brother (around 350 usually). When loading in to Star Tours, Pete had a hard time with the seat belt. Now, an overzealous or undertrained cast member might have yelled "hey buddy, do you need a belt extender?" But this young lady saw what was happening, and waited patiently at the seat belt display panel, till Pete got it sorted out and hooked up. It was just a few seconds with potential for some extreme embarrassment, that was totally smoothed over by an alert young lady. As she was leaving she even tipped me a nice smile, proving to me that the whole thing wasn't in my imagination. Nicely done, young lady!

MonorailMan
03-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
This is a good time to mention a cast member's excellent work on Star Tours (sorry, but I don't remember her name). This was about 3 years ago...

People like that, are what really make my day at DL. The CMs that actually like their jobs, and don't sit around and complain. :)

furbE95
03-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by cujosr
Welcome LFuzzy!!I like your entusiasim but i think your post is off the current "sub"ject . :rolleyes: why don't you start a new thread and ask the same questions. you might get an answer more quickly that way.
I wouldnt say the post is off subject. This thread is about be hired at dlr, isnt it? i think the post fits perfectly.

cujosr
03-30-2003, 08:43 PM
I know i just wanted the pun.:D

danyoung
03-31-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
People like that, are what really make my day at DL. The CMs that actually like their jobs, and don't sit around and complain. :)

It may seem like a trivial thing, but this cm's actions really made the difference in a potentially awkward moment. I was totally impressed!