PDA

View Full Version : Bank One ATM's Replace Union Bank ATM's Effective March 31st

PARK_HOPPER
03-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Effective March 31st, the Union Bank of California ATM's will be replaced in all "public" (on-stage) areas within the Disneyland Resort with Bank One ATM's.

The ATM's located in non-public areas (off-stage) will continue to be operated by Partners (Disneyland) Employees Federal Credit Union.

Previously, the Bank of America (BofA) had the contract for many years to provide banking and ATM services throughout Disneyland. When Disneyland was expanded to include DCA and Downtown Disney was added, Union Bank was selected.

At first, many complained that they would have to pay fees to use Union Banks ATM's, as Bank of America has a much larger retail banking operation in southern California than Union Bank.

At least, Union Bank does have a retail presence here and if you have an account with them, you did not pay the ATM fee.

Now that Disney and Bank One have this "huge" partnership, Bank One has been given the ATM contract.

However, Bank One does not have ANY branches in southern California, or for that matter the western United States, except for Arizona!

Guess What? No news flash here, but the vast majority of visitors to Disneyland are from southern California and the west coast!

So what does this mean, virtually every user of the ATM's at Disneyland is going to get screwed and have to pay a fee to use Bank One's ATM's. In addition, your own bank will probably hit you with another fee for using Bank One's ATM.

At least if you banked with Union Bank, you avoided the fee.

I wonder how much Disney will make in rebates from Bank One for each ATM cash withdrawal, while Bank One "double dips" for charging you as a non-customer to use the machine, and then charges your bank for a "foreign" transaction, who then turns around and charges you again.

Ahh, co-branding and the new Bank One/Disney Visa...I knew we would have to pay somehow, someway.

Good Bye Union Bank!

Polar33
03-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Why they couldn't just put Partners ATMs in-park I'll never understand. Disney ATMs in a Disney theme park, makes since to me. The Partners ATMs backstage charge no fees at all too. Whenever I find myself out of cash at the parks I run to one of the Partners ATMs to avoid that rediculous 1.50+ charge.

Morrigoon
03-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Wow, rotate those ATMs any faster and we'll have to keep a daily schedule!

hbquikcomjamesl
03-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Actually, I believe BofA had the in-park banking concession for the first forty-odd years. Then, right about the time I switched from Wells Fargo to BofA, Disneyland switched from BofA to Wells Fargo. Then, around the time DCA and DTD-West were being built, they switched to Union Bank, and NOW it's BankOne.

Fortunately, there are branches of both WF and BofA on Harbor, including one of each right next to Disney Ice.

MammaSilva
03-28-2003, 07:55 AM
My solution, go buy Disney Bucks....I won't use the ATM's in the park anymore because of the fees....I buy Disney Bucks, I get a rebate on my Checking account for using my debit card as a visa....so instead of ME paying them I get a little something back ....and everyplace inside the parks accept the Disney bucks...and will give change in cash ....so I always buy 10's if I want to make sure to have cash in hand when I leave the park....

mad4mky
03-28-2003, 08:10 AM
I don't buy the Disney Bucks...

I just use my ATM card in the stores...and even for food. If I need actual cash...I can use a Wells Fargo outside of the park...as they are in So. Cal.
But since I don't like carrying a lot of cash...my ATM card, that has the Mastercard logo on it...can be used all over in the park.

There are ways to avoid the fees. Using either Mammasilva's way or the way I do are just two of the examples.

MammaSilva
03-28-2003, 08:28 AM
When ever I shop or we eat a meal at one of the restaurants I use my ATM as a visa, but the kids are always wanting a churro or Mickey bar and ODV doesn't accept cards.. that's when I use the Mickey bucks..

MonorailMan
03-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Damn! I'm a Union Bank member. I loved to draw out my speding money at DL. Oh Well. :crying:

tod
03-28-2003, 11:25 AM
When I factor in the time (and, now, the gas) involved in leaving the park, taking the tram, finding the car, hitting the road, going to my bank, parking, doing the ATM thing, getting back in the car, going back to the parking structure, tram, gate, I figure a buck-and-a-half is cheap for the convenience.

Besides, it motivates me to check my wallet when I leave the house -- not when I'm trying to buy something on Main Street -- next time.

--T

mad4mky
03-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
When ever I shop or we eat a meal at one of the restaurants I use my ATM as a visa, but the kids are always wanting a churro or Mickey bar and ODV doesn't accept cards.. that's when I use the Mickey bucks..

Yeah, we eat from the ODV carts too. That's why I do carry some cash...(which I get before I travel down to DLR)
I'm glad that there at Wells Fargo Banks all over So. Cal...as I never have had to use (ever) an ATM at DLR...or WDW.

Now DL Paris was another story. Using ATM's is the best way to get the best rate exchange...I used them all over DLParis...and it was great.

Best bet all the way around. Plan ahead. If you don't want to use the ATM's at DLR...plan ahead and bring in your cash.:)

Bill Catherall
03-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
Best bet all the way around. Plan ahead. If you don't want to use the ATM's at DLR...plan ahead and bring in your cash.:) Exactly. We always make sure to hit our bank on the way out of town whenever we know we'll need cash. Otherwise we try to use our Visa debit card when possible. I've never had to use the ATM at Disneyland.

MammaSilva
03-28-2003, 01:36 PM
That's the best advice of all to not have to use the ATM's at the park.. but a couple times I 'underbudgeted' snack money (I am NOT used to feeding teenage boys ROFL)

DLanddrew
03-29-2003, 07:05 PM
The Partners ATMs backstage, and the whole credit union for that matter, are awesome! It seems like wherever you go as a Cast Member they're around. It beats paying $1.50 for the on stage machines.

Plus they have the best checks! The paradise pier one is cool.

DLandDrew