PDA

View Full Version : Character breakfast

mom2alexnmatt
03-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I wanted to do a character breakfast when we go in May. I think my three year old will get a real kick out of it. Couple of questions though, where is the best character breakfast, and how far in advance should I call and make a reservation? (We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel if that makes a difference)
Thanks!

julia
03-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Since you are staying at the Disneyland Hotel, have you considered Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel? It is a lot of fun for kids and their grownups with lots and lots of characters and is very busy and entertaining.

Also, I really enjoy the breakfast at the Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian Hotel. The buffet is great and Chip n' Dale are the best! I also like the fact that it is a bit more quiet than Goofy's Kitchen, but still gets me in the mood for a great day at Disneyland.

Making Priority Seating reservations is always a good idea!

Best Regards,
Julia

chelbell
03-27-2003, 02:05 PM
In my opinion, Goofy's Kitchen is the best place for a character breakfast, and happens to be in the hotel you are staying at!!! The food is abundant and very good, and the interaction with the characters is wonderful. My daughter was 3 last year when we took her and she loved it!! She even got out and did the Macarena with Minnie, which totally blew me away!! There are other locations also, so it really depends on your taste. The one at Paradise Pier was not all that great in my my opinion. I know there is also one at Grand Californian, which I have not been to. To answer your question about reservations, yes you need to make them in advance, otherwise you may have to wait for a long time, or not get the time you want. We are going in May also, and I have already made mine, though we are going for dinner this time. Good luck in your decision. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with some more insight.:D

tjrj
03-27-2003, 02:07 PM
I'll answer the reservation question first-I'd make them as soon as the reservation people will let you. I truly can't remember off the top of my head but it's somewhere between 3 months and 1 month in advance. I made reservations for Goofy's Kitchen the morning of the very first day that I could and still had to move our desired reservation time around by half an hour.

As for which one-that's entire personal preference. I prefer the food at the GC at the Storyteller's cafe-and as bonus you can order off the menu too. But the character interaction is much quieter-the children are brought to Chip and Dale rather than them coming to you. Goofy's Kitchen-food ok-character interaction awesome! We got to meet about 6 of them. Plaza Inn-I'm a big Pooh and Company fan so that was cool to see that gang. And I liked the food better-and I just think the Plaza Inn is so pretty!

I would so avoid the Tomorrowland Terrace breakfast thing. Foods awful and character interaction is jammed. Haven't done the one at DCA-the "Ariel"(that's not right but you know the one I mean?) restaurant? Or the one at PP-that looks fun though.

Toady The Eighth
03-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Goofy's Kitchen is by FAR the vest character breakfast. The point of the breakfast is to see characters, and the interation is awesome. Also, the food is very good.

Ward
03-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by tjrj
Haven't done the one at DCA-the "Ariel"(that's not right but you know the one I mean?) restaurant? Or the one at PP-that looks fun though.

We did the Minnie & Friends breakfast at PP last year, and Ariel's Grotto just a couple of weeks ago. The Minnie breakfast was pretty good. Buffet style, with cook-to-order omelets. Character interaction was quite good, too. Daisy, Minnie and Max all stopped by each table. Minnie led a dance about every 30 minutes or so ("Hand Jive" last year).

As for Ariel's Grotto, make sure you're hungry before going there. First, it's only for lunch or dinner - no breakfast. It's one price for a whole lot of food - soup or salad;huge portioned entree; and dessert - all of which our server made us order at the beginning. The character interaction was pretty good here, too. Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale in nautical attire all stopped by. They do a kid-participation line dance through the restaurant about every 30 minutes. Pretty cool.

But, the worst part for us was: NO ARIEL!! We could understand the "She's at the other park" excuse. But, when we asked if we could come back later or another day to see her at HER restaurant, they said, "Well, you can try. But, you're really going to have better luck catching her at her Grotto in Disneyland." Amazing! Luckily, our kids took it well. But, sheeeeesh. No Ariel at Ariel's Grotto. Only at DCA .

dsnylndmom
03-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Just had to jump in on this one, I'm glad to hear about the big sized portions, we are doing this in 2 weeks and my boys(8.5 & 12) never seem to get full maybe this'll be the ticket! Sounds like my 4.5 year old will love the character interaction!

Tina:D

Toady The Eighth
03-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Goofy's kitchen is all you can eat.
:)

dsnylndmom
03-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Goofy's kitchen is all you can eat.
That one I knew, that's why I made reservations for it! LOL I should've specified I'm glad to hear about the big portions for Ariel's Grotto, I'm really looking forward to that one myself, but alas I have to bring the boys too;) so I'm glad to hear that they have big portions. But thanks for the heads up anyways

Tina:D

Wizard69
03-27-2003, 08:34 PM
I also recommend Goofy's Kitchen.

But, the worst part for us was: NO ARIEL!! We could understand the "She's at the other park" excuse. But, when we asked if we could come back later or another day to see her at HER restaurant, they said, "Well, you can try. But, you're really going to have better luck catching her at her Grotto in Disneyland." Amazing! Luckily, our kids took it well. But, sheeeeesh. No Ariel at Ariel's Grotto. Only at DCA .

I know what you mean. When AG first opened as Avalon Cove, they would wheel Ariel into the restaurant. When I went there the last few times (January and February) there was no Ariel.

chelbell
03-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Can you make reservations at Ariel's Grotto, like you can for Goofy's Kitchen?:confused:

Sonya in Boise
03-27-2003, 10:54 PM
I would have been very upset if Ariel had not been at Ariel's Grotto. We were there when it was Avalon Cove and she was wheeled out every so often and sat in the lobby area. Ashley had the best time ever. I asked earlier in the day if she would be there and was told "Of Course". Now that they have named the place after her, she should be there.

Any way, you can make reservations 60 days before your travel date. You can make all the reservations for your entire stay 60 days prior to the first day. So if you are staying 5 days, you can make all of the reservations in one phone call. You do not have to call back each day.

You can make reservations for Ariel's Grotto, as well as any sitdown place in DCA/DL, the hotels and some of the places in DTD. You can not make reserations for the Plaza Inn breakfast.

Goofy's was wonderful for character interaction. Plan on spending an hour and a half for breakfast if you want to see all of the characters. There were at least 7 when we went. When we went in October, Snow White was at breakfast and the girls got to spend a long time with her. There were no other kids around so she played w/ them on the floor for about 10 minutes. She was WONDERFUL. I was so happy to see her at breakfast rather than wait in line at the Park. Her line is always so long.

The food was decent. We are from Las Vegas, land of the buffets, so we thought it was over priced for the variety of food, but we are spoiled by the 3.99 breakfast buffetts. Hey, they don't have Snow White, go in with the understanding you are paying for the chacters and you will have a wonderful time.

PurpleDove33
03-28-2003, 08:01 AM
I was taken to Arial's grotto in Dec for my birthday and I didn't know at that time it was a character dinning place. They just took me there, because it was one place I hadn't eaten at before. I had the surf and salmon blt and it was good. Although I had it without the sauce on it. I had them bring it on the side. I wasn't sure what it was going to taste like, so I did it that way and also had them bring lemon. I ended up squeezing lemon on it and it was real tasty. And if you are a cherry coke lover, since they have a full bar there, you can ask for grenadeen in your coke that way you have your cherry coke. Come hungry, because they serve big portions. I couldn't even finish all of it. Enjoy where ever you end up going. It was nice of the characters coming to you at the table instead of waiting in the long lines at the parks. Great photo ops.