PDA

View Full Version : WoC cancelled on the 7th - the 8th too?

MousePlanet AutoPoster
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
mouseplanet: Line for DCA guest relations is out the door, under the GG bridge, and getting longer.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/23der3.jpg (http://twitpic.com/23der3)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/23der3)

olegc
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
So WoC was canceled tonight due to some quake damage. When do you suppose we will know about tomorrow? I was supposed to host some guests and go get picnics for them - but if the show may be canceled I don't want to bother. I would assume it would be if there were damage - but you never know. Maybe the damage was only some flexible pipes or something..

Seashellmama
07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Actual damage? I'd guess, more likely, the need to completely inspect for damage than that any damage actually happened.

You never know, though, I guess.

olegc
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Actual damage? I'd guess, more likely, the need to completely inspect for damage than that any damage actually happened.

You never know, though, I guess.

well, according to reports they did an inspection, then they hemmed and hawed, and finally at 830 or so canceled all shows. My guess is that something like flex hoses or thinner hoses broke or bent. If you remember some of the photos of the pipe layout when the lake was drained there are A LOT of pipes down there..

Tan Da Man
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
This was a bummer! I actually had my fastpasses and they cancelled! Hoping tomorrow its back up

AVP
07-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm just back from the Resort, where I had a front-row view of the whole thing. Tony and I were invited to join our fantastic travel agent at DCA for the Ariel's Grotto World of Color dining package, and Ted had booked the first seating and first show. I'll cover the meal in the appropriate thread, since it really has no bearing on the cancellation.

The quake hit just before we were called for dinner, and we really didn't think it was that major. Tony and Ricky felt it, Ted and I only noticed it when the other two pointed out that a light fixture was swaying. After we had been seated for a while we realized that Screamin' wasn't running (I was sitting with my back to Paradise Pier, and had not realized the attractions had gone down for inspection after the quake. It was apparently larger than I thought). By the time we were done with dinner, all of the rides we could see had reopened. During dinner, the two side sections of the WoC platform were raised to "show" level, and we saw some testing of the fountains. As we left the restaurant, we did notice that a motorboat had come out into Paradise Bay, that two people were walking around the east side of the show platform, and that several people with radios were standing at the rail of the viewing area looking out onto the show platform.

At 7:30-ish we joined the crush of people waiting to get into the Premium Viewing Area. (Again, I'll cover this in another thread, because it was not a pleasant experience). As we waited, we noticed that a larger group of managers and techs were standing at the water's edge, and that the dive boat had been brought out into Paradise Bay. As we watched, two divers suited up and walked out onto the platform. 8:00, the time when the viewing area should have opened, came and went, and we were still being held in the increasingly-crowded waiting area. About 8:15 one of the managers from the group at the water walked up towards the waiting crowd and summoned one of the guest control leads. They spoke, and the GC lead summoned her people to gather around her. We could not hear or see what she was saying, but the CMs left their huddle and came to tell the crowd nearest the ropes that there was a "show delay" due to earthquake damage, and that they had no additional information. About 8:30 they huddled up again, and returned to tell us that all three shows had been cancelled.

Our group had already discussed what to do if this happened, and knew that our best option was to get OUT of that crowd and over to guest relations before the official park-wide announcement was made. While word was still trickling out (most CMs had not yet heard the news), we made our way through the crowd and headed toward the park entrance. Most of the people in our section just stood there after the CMs broke the bad news - I'm really not sure what they were waiting for. As we left, people were still joining the Fastpass queues, and CMs were still directing people without Fastpass to the back of Paradise Pier.

I got to guest relations before the first official announcement was made - I was actually the first person to get there, and there was a small group right on my heels. A security CM was already stationed at the entrance to guest relations, a manager had just arrived on scene, and several guest relations CMs were inside. I asked the manager if they were ready for us, and she smiled and asked for a few moments for the rest of her team to arrive and get ready. They all vanished into a back room for a minute, then came back out and started calling people from the line.

Based on the experiences of everyone at the 6/27 show, I knew what the guest relations response was likely to be, and I was prepared. I explained to the CM that we'd purchased the dinner package, and that what I wanted was for them to mark our unused dinner package Fastpass tickets so we could use them on another day. The CM immediately gave me the expected reply that the "preferred viewing ticket is a gift," said they could not allow me to use it another night, and offered me a Fastpass for another attraction that night. I politely declined and asked to speak to a manager. The CM said "you're just going to get the same answer," and I said "that's ok, but I'd still like to speak to a manager."

When the manager came out (and I have to give her major props for actually coming INTO the lobby, instead of staying safely behind the counter), I politely explained the accommodation I was requesting, and she restated that the show was cancelled due to earthquake damage (which is out of Disney's control), and that they couldn't let me use the ticket another night. We chatted for a moment, I pointed out that both the Disneyland Web site and the printed materials call this a "package," we chatted a bit more, and the result was that we surrendered our Fastpass tickets, and she gave us her card so we could contact her tomorrow to arrange a night to return to see the show.

From what we could tell, others in the room were getting a variety of responses. People who just had Fastpasses were being offered another Fastpass for another attraction. That's also what people with the picnic and dinner packages were offered as an opening, and it seemed like quite a few people accepted that. Others were more persistent, and received the same accommodation as did my group.

When we left Guest Relations, the line was already out the door, around the corner and past the Golden Gate bridge. Within another 10 minutes, the line turned the corner around the Greetings from California store. Cast members with flashlights were stationed outside the store to help control the line, and there were probably six DL security CMs in the immediate area. A dozen or so managers and leads were outside talking with people in the queue. Some people in line were stopping those exiting guest relations and asking "what did they give you?" to determine if they should stick it out themselves. When we left DCA around 10, the line was still out to the Golden Gate bridge.

This is now the second (third, and fourth) time World of Color has been cancelled, and, while I'm pleased with the resolution to my particular situation, I'm not happy to learn that Disney's opening position with those who paid for the picnic or dinner packages is still "the Fastpass is a gift, and we can't refund or replace a gift." Regardless of what Disney wishes to call the Fastpass, the reality is that their Web site advertises "dinner and a show," their picnic reservation site calls this a "package," and their park maps state that the prix-fixe dinner "includes" premium reserved viewing for the show. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a "gift," it's a part of the product or service being sold.

I completely understand that earthquakes are not in Disney's power to control, which is why we did not want or ask for a refund for the meal. We simply asked to be allowed to receive the premium reserved viewing that came WITH our meal at another time, since Disney was unable to provide it the night we dined. It took some chatting with the Guest Relations manager, but in the end that's what we received. I'm sorry that people who were not more persistent did not get the same offer, and that Disney is chosing to continue with the "gift" game.

This is not the first time World of Color has been cancelled, and it won't be the last. If Disney plans to continue selling these dinner "packages," they need to come up with a guest-friendly policy for dealing with the inevitable situation when the show is cancelled. If not, they're likely to see a drop in sales when people realize that "dinner and a show" really means "dinner, and a show if all goes well."

AVP

bombardon3
07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
It'll be interesting to see what they offer you when you call back. I can understand that their hesitation to just give you a ticket to come back another day since they'd want to avoid having everyone show up the day after and clog up the reserved viewing area, not to mention the potential for fraud (people making copies of the passes, selling them, etc.). Hopefully they can get you passes for an upcoming show once they figure out how long the show will be cancelled and find a way to accommodate everyone without clogging up the viewing area.

olegc
07-08-2010, 07:21 AM
from the front page of Micage website... (obviously this is not official)

"The full cancellation of World of Color performances Wednesday night can't be blamed on the afternoon earthquake for certain. Multiple buoys that help raise the show platform up to the waterline sprung leaks and filled with water at some point before the platform was raised Wednesday evening. The middle and left platforms weren't aligned properly when the underwater scissor lifts were commanded to lock the platforms in place, with the middle platform suffering the most damage as the two massive structures were wedged into each other at an angle causing stressed structural beams and damaged fountains. A full team of divers, engineers, and outside contractors have been brought in to assess just how bad the damage is before the repairs can begin, or even what the repairs need to be, and there's no word yet how long all that may take. -"

upon reading this - sounds like the platforms require such precision to come up out of the water that any kind of movement screws them up. again - complete speculation. hmmm...

AVP
07-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Disney has issued a statement about the World of Color, and, as of 9:30, a MousePlanet reader and the park and reports from several Twitter accounts (@DisneylandLive, @MouseWait) indicated that the park had not yet begun issuing Fastpass tickets for today's shows. However, another source tells me that ticket distribution was NOT delayed this morning, so I'm not sure what's really going on down there.

Here's the official statement:

Due to technical difficulties last night’s World of Color shows were cancelled. We are currently assessing the situation and hope to have the show ready for tonight’s performances. We apologize to our guests for any disappointment and inconvenience.

I asked what accommodation would be made for those guests who pre-purchased the Picnic package or booked the prix-fixe dining packages in the event tonight's shows are canceled, and Disney's response was,

Reservations for dinner packages at restaurants can be cancelled any time prior to actual reservation time. Sales for picnic meals online are final and are based upon the meal and not upon availability of the show. Guest concerns are handled on an individual basis. We ask guests to go to Guest Relations or call Guest Communications.

If you booked a World of Color dining package for tonight, you can just no-show for the meal if you want. However, if you booked a Picnic package and want to transfer that to another night, your best bet is to contact Guest Relations / Guest Communications BEFORE you pick up the meal.

AVP

olegc
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Disney has issued a statement about the World of Color, and, as of 30 minutes ago, had not yet begun issuing Fastpass tickets for today's shows. Here's the official statement:

Due to technical difficulties last night’s World of Color shows were cancelled. We are currently assessing the situation and hope to have the show ready for tonight’s performances. We apologize to our guests for any disappointment and inconvenience.

I asked what accommodation would be made for those guests who pre-purchased the Picnic package or booked the prix-fixe dining packages in the event tonight's shows are canceled, and Disney's response was,

Reservations for dinner packages at restaurants can be cancelled any time prior to actual reservation time. Sales for picnic meals online are final and are based upon the meal and not upon availability of the show. Guest concerns are handled on an individual basis. We ask guests to go to Guest Relations or call Guest Communications.

If you booked a World of Color dining package for tonight, you can just no-show for the meal if you want. However, if you booked a Picnic package and want to transfer that to another night, your best bet is to contact Guest Relations / Guest Communications BEFORE you pick up the meal.

AVP

according to mousewait fastpasses are now being distributed (as of 1115am). Do you think they would distribute and then cancel again?

ssmatik
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
[I] Guest concerns are handled on an individual basis. We ask guests to go to Guest Relations or call Guest Communications.

And here is the problem in a nutshell. This policy (if you can call it that) basically says, if you want the biggest compensation we are willing to give, you need to come to GS and really put on a show for us. Scream, jump up and down, say you'll call the lawyers. Just make it really uncomfortable for our cast members and all the guests around you.

Come on Disney. Come up with a policy. Post it around the lagoon, at the FP machines and outside the restaurants and stick to it. Stop making the entire audience stand in a line to audition for the best compensation. :rolleyes:

adriennek
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
This is not the first time World of Color has been cancelled, and it won't be the last. If Disney plans to continue selling these dinner "packages," they need to come up with a guest-friendly policy for dealing with the inevitable situation when the show is cancelled. If not, they're likely to see a drop in sales when people realize that "dinner and a show" really means "dinner, and a show if all goes well."

This. This this this this this. THIS.

This.

They can't have it both ways. If they're going to market it as a package they can't turn around and say 'Oh, the show was just a gift if we could make it happen.' That's bait and switch.

Adrienne

MousePlanet AutoPoster
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
mouseplanet: Divers briefly surfaced from inspection of WoC platform, then went back under.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/23k59q.jpg (http://twitpic.com/23k59q)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/23k59q)

MousePlanet AutoPoster
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
mouseplanet: Paradise Bay is fairly calm, center (but not sides) of show platform is up. Lots of CMs in area.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/23k2xn.jpg (http://twitpic.com/23k2xn)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/23k2xn)

MousePlanet AutoPoster
07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
mouseplanet: WoC Fastpass distribution has ended, and there is NO 3rd show tonight.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/23kg3s.jpg (http://twitpic.com/23kg3s)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/23kg3s)

MousePlanet AutoPoster
07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
mouseplanet: CMs have brought out the "coming soon" barricades to block off the boardwalk around Paradise Bay.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/23kf8s.jpg (http://twitpic.com/23kf8s)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/23kf8s)

AVP
07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
DCA has announced a 3rd World of Color show, and began issuing Fastpass tickets about 40 minutes ago.

AVP

olegc
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
as soon as mousewait posted this AM they were handing out fastpasses I went to the park and bought two picnics. Took a chance on that one -
but AVP called it

You have to be consistent. You can't have marketing, entertainment, and foods come up with one idea to make money, then have Ops take the heat and try to fend off everyone...

it would be interesting if a reporter at a news site could take this on.. It would bring to light one of the issues they have right now at the parks. Not just with WoC -but other stuff too. Their marketing teams are rapid firing lots of content and ideas and let everyone else (guests, ops, security) deal with the pieces..

queenbetsey
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
good for you for sticking to your guns on this one. i totally agree with you that these are sold as packages and should be treated as such. i feel really bad for the folks who are not locals like we are and only here for a certain amount of time and cannot just go back another day.

danyoung
07-11-2010, 09:39 AM
So I was dining with 2 of my brothers at the Wine Country Trattoria (an excellent meal, by the way) when the announcement of the cancellation came over the PA. I knew that Guest Relations would be swamped, so I planned on coming in the next morning. When I did just that, the GR guys said right away that I could take my WoC FP to the machines in the Grizzley River area and turn them in for a FP for that night's 3rd show (this was about 11 in the morning). When I got to the Gizzley River area, the CM said that that wasn't how it worked. He said that the FP I had from the night before could be used at any attraction as a FP, and that I'd have to get in line (a very short line) and pick up a new FP for that night's 11:15 show. Different, but still fine. But when I got up to the machine, the CM was a deer in the headlights, had no idea how to handle my request, and had to call a manager to discuss it for a while before taking my FP and giving me a new one for that night.

In short, they compensated me just fine. But their communication amongst the CM's was really horrible. As others have said, they need to come up with a policy, stick to it, and make sure everyone on staff knows about it!

CA DisneyMom
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
And here is the problem in a nutshell. This policy (if you can call it that) basically says, if you want the biggest compensation we are willing to give, you need to come to GS and really put on a show for us. Scream, jump up and down, say you'll call the lawyers. Just make it really uncomfortable for our cast members and all the guests around you.

Actually, from my experience, the opposite was true. Lots of people were making a fuss that night, but I think we fared better. We had purchased the dining package at Wine Country and were planning to see the 2nd show on the 7th. Since it was our last night in the parks (and our anniversary trip), we didn't go straight to Guest Relations, but spent the remainder of the evening enjoying the smaller crowds back in Paradise Pier. As we were leaving the park, we noticed several "suits" congregated in the viewing area, and we approached them casually. We told them about our situation and expressed our disappointment (anniversary, last night, dining package, etc.), and their response was very helpful. They suggested that we go up to Guest Relations (the line was shorter now that the park was nearing closing time), tell our story and to be reasonable about what we wanted for compensation. She also added that Guest Relations is much more likely to bend over backwards for someone who is nice to them, especially when so many of them have been getting screamed at for hours. So we did as she suggested. We waited about 15-20 minutes in the queue at Guest Relations, and they were very sympathetic to our situation. They offered us $40 in dining credits (about half the cost of our 2 dining package meals) and a handful of "super-fastpasses" (good for up to 6 people at any attraction). We didn't get to see WOC, but we enjoyed a wonderful lunch the next day, and were able to share the magic by inviting other guests to join us in using our fastpasses (there were only 2 of us). All in all, we were pleased with what they offered us, and we'll catch WOC next time (but we won't do the dining package again). :)