PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 advice please - I'm so excited!!

Pages : [1] 2

KarenW2
03-27-2003, 09:37 AM
My DH and I are going to dinner at Club 33 on 4-5, with my cousin, who's a member and her husband! I'm so excited, as this is one place I've always wanted to go to, since I'm such a Disney fan.

Since I've never been at all and she's never been for dinner, can anyone tell me what the dress code is for dinner? Is it suits & ties for men and dressy dresses for women or what? What kind of food do they serve for dinner?

What should I make sure we see/do while we're there? Obviously, we'll be bringing our camera & will take lots of pictures, if that's acceptable.

What kinds of souvenirs do they sell and how much are they? Can anyone direct me to websites or other places for more info?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

Wizard69
03-27-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm going on the 30th for lunch.

For dinner, there is a menu and you choose your entree. If you want dessert you can order that too.

Be sure to see the trophy room (which is to the right once you get to the upper floor. Other than that, just look around at the whole decor.

As far as souveniers, there are pins, a really nice (and expensive leather jacket), a polo shirt, glasses, and a few other things.

If you want a free souvenier, go into the bathroom and take some of the Club 33 napkins (which you use to dry your hands) :)

Also, you can take the pen you sign your credit card receipt with. If you ask nicely after you sign your receipt, the cast member may give you some for the entire party.

adriennek
03-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Taking pictures is totally not a problem.

Don't worry about ties- most people are rather casually dressed because they're often also there to spend the day at Disneyland. I've worn a comfortable dress, but there's no standard. Last time we were there for dinner, a family came in dressed in their regular ol' jeans for a day at DLR.

I second grabbing a couple of the napkins in the bathroom :)

What they have for sale depends on how many fans they've had in recently. I've seen golf balls, pins, polo shirts- and I can't remember what else, but if they've had a big event, they might be sold out of some items. It all depends on your timing, in my experience.

Have FUN! I was surprised to see you haven't been before because I know you're a big fan!

Adrienne K

CountryBehr
03-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Also, as far as souvenirs go, I was at 33 with a friend in October and he bought a limited edition leather letter jacket style coat. It was black with gray leather sleeves and hat a Mickey in a top hot and tails embroidered on the back. The front had Club 33 logo embroidered on it. Underneath Mickey on the back it had the 100 Years of Magic slogan. It was really nice. They had quite a few left, but again, that was in October.

Also, if you've never been, watch for the way they pour water, coffee, etc. They are trained to pour it from like a foot above your glass. Just a little detail, but is fun to look for.

Baby Mine
03-27-2003, 11:56 AM
I have been lucky to go four times - all for dinner. The dress varies - many are dressed in whatever they would wear for a day in the park. Other come dressed up. I've done both.

They change the menu for the seasons. The last time I was there was October and they were serving their Fall menu. Everything is al a carte. Usually you will have a choice of soups, salads and other starters. The French Onion Soup is really good if they have that, so is the Caesar that they make for you at the table. The main courses include a vareity of seafood, meat and usually something vegetarian. I have had great salmon, wonderful lamb, and delicious beef. The last time I had the lamb sampler - which was a lamb shank and little lamb chops with three different sauces served over Polenta. I was also served a tray with 3-4 little ramekins of different side dishes (fava beans, carrots, and others I can't recall - all delicious).

They now serve bread from La Brea Bakery - all you can eat. They have 3-4 four different ones and the waiter offers it to you through out the meal (it is not left on the table - but you can always ask for more). We had a choice of sun dried tomato, sourdough, raisin walnut, olive, roasted garlic.

Desserts are also a treat. Somethimes they have samplers where you get a variety of tastes. I have also had Bananas Foster made table side. YUMMY.

They do not rush you through the meal. In fact, in October we took a break between our fist course and main course to watch Fantasmic from the balcony - not as good a view as from the Disney Gallery, but where else can you watch Fantasmic and sip a glass of Merlot :)). They cleaned the table and folded all the napkins while we were out, and then served us our dinners, nice and warm and delicious. We then took another break to again watch Fantasmic between dinner and dessert, and they did the same thing.

The service is wonderful. Our waitress spilled maybe 1 tablespoon of our wine on the table - to make up for this she gave everyone at the table a glass of port for dessert. Don't forget to mention any special occassions (birthdays, anniversaries). You will get a mickey dove-bar like treat without the stick that is better than the ones on the stick they sell in the park.

The souvineers are on display by the stairs/ lift. I bought a great denim shirt with the logo on the left pocket.

Sorry for the long post - Enjoy, I'm jealous:D

Disneyphile
03-27-2003, 12:21 PM
When I went for dinner, my friends and I changed into full evening gowns that night, just to feel even *more* important on the walk from Main Street to the Club. ;)

We stayed for almost 3 hours, stopping to watch Fantasmic in between courses. We were there at park closing time, which was perfect, because our server took us for a full tour since I exclaimed it was my first time. He also said he *loves* to see excited guests, and even brought me an entire bag of the mints (about 50 of 'em), extra napkins (including the special cocktail ones they only use on certain occasions), a matchbook memo pad, a box of matches, and a pen.

I took a ton of photos, and they don't mind one bit! He even pointed out things to photograph, and pointed out something very special on the Pirates of the Caribbean map in the main foyer.;)

Congrats on your invitation! I know the excitement, and I can tell you that you're definitely going to love it!:)

Christiii
03-27-2003, 05:28 PM
I dont want to brag or anything...but...I have been lucky enogh to want by the outside of the door...and stare at it...a lot...I thinnk Ive even rubbed the door know, knocked on the door and rubbed my hands over the 33 numbers...:D thats my club 33 story

Christiii
03-27-2003, 05:28 PM
door knob...knob...not know...geez I need to learn to type..haha

DisneyFan25863
03-27-2003, 05:46 PM
I envy you! I was this close to going a year ago for some coprate thingy with my aunt, but it was cancelled at the last second! I do recall one thing from walking by one day......wait for it........someone was actually licking the door! When they, um, finished, they said "Oh good! Now I have a piece of DL history forever!" I didn't even ask :D

Christiii
03-27-2003, 05:58 PM
ok,now THAT wasnt me...I swear...I only TOUCHED the door....hehehe

mystycalchyk
03-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CountryBehr
Also, as far as souvenirs go, I was at 33 with a friend in October and he bought a limited edition leather letter jacket style coat. It was black with gray leather sleeves and hat a Mickey in a top hot and tails embroidered on the back. The front had Club 33 logo embroidered on it. Underneath Mickey on the back it had the 100 Years of Magic slogan. It was really nice. They had quite a few left, but again, that was in October.

Also, if you've never been, watch for the way they pour water, coffee, etc. They are trained to pour it from like a foot above your glass. Just a little detail, but is fun to look for.

ooOOOoooOOOO how exciting for you to go, Karen. My hubby and I were just there during our New Years trip, and it was so wonderful. He bought that exact same jacket BTW. I also got a couple of pins, and a plate.
I took tons of pictures and they were so nice about it. At first I was worried and was trying to sneak them but then I realised that everyone else was snapping away so I felt freer. Do enjoy yourself, it's a wonderful experience!

mystycalchyk
03-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Oh and i have to add this only because it so impressed us. We were eating our dinner, just talking quietly and my husband said to me "I wonder how much that jacket is?" (He had seen it in the display case already) and as I was sitting there I simply glanced non-chalanatly around the room, saw the matre d (sp?) and then looked back at my husband and said "Well when we get done we'll just ask the Matre d." (without motioning towards him or anything, it was really not like he could have even known I was talking about him). Suddenly less than 30 seconds later he was standing at our table. He said "Was there something you needed Mr & Mrs.Rogers?"
I was floored. He was on us liketty split. They must be trained to serve your every need, because it was really amazing that he knew we were going to ask him something. PLUS he knew our names!! The place was packed. What a memory he must have!
Its just something that really struck us as superior service.

Wizard69
03-27-2003, 08:17 PM
I want the leather jacket!!!! Wish I could afford it :( I'll probably just buy some more pins and that's about it. I got the metal pen the last time I was there. (I go about 2-3 times a year on average).

Mansion Man
03-28-2003, 08:42 AM
As noted above, pictures are absolutely not a problem (I even took one of our host, after buying an armload of merchandise; corny, I know). My wife and I were there for a Kiwanis breakfast on a Sunday morning, two weeks ago, so it was definitely casual.
We were seated in the trophy room (though our host described it as the room that was intended to be Walt's private dining room).

Of course, the entire club is well appointed with furniture and concept art. The tableware is very nice, and the servers are very polite and friendly. Be sure and take a ride in the antique elevator.

Pens were gratiously offered to any guest who asked. People were definitely lifting the monogramed paper napkins out of the bathrooms. Funny, because my wife and I went to our respective bathrooms at the same time and, with absolutely no malice of forethought, came out with some hidden in our clothes!

All in all, it is a must for any Disneyland fan. I don't know if it is worth $10k, plus annual dues + $45 a meal, but that's just my opinion. If I had $ to burn, I probably would join...

Bill Catherall
03-28-2003, 08:46 AM
If you haven't read it already, Lost Boy wrote up a trip report (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=204449#post204449) from his recent first-time visit. It's a good read, and should fill you in on what to expect as well as get you excited for the "Big Day."

Baby Mine
03-28-2003, 09:02 AM
Mansion Man,

What Kiwanis Club are you with? How/why did they get to go to 33? I's a member of the Tustin Club - maybe we have actually met.

Mansion Man
03-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Baby Mine-There are two chartered clubs in GG: A night group, and a morning breakfast club. I'm in the a.m. club, which meets at Marie Callender's on Brookhurst. Apparently, the connection comes through the night group. Someone is a member or is connected. Not exactly sure.

Other clubs have arranged Club 33 reservations. I've heard of the Anaheim club and the Newport Beach club having events in the past. If I hear of any, I'll let you know.

Keep in touch!!

KarenW2
03-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks so much to all, for all your input so far! We're really looking forward to this dining experience!!

Have any of you ever been to "The Hobbit" restaurant in Orange for dinner? That's our current favorite place to eat, for a special night. If you have been there, how does it compare to Club 33, in terms of food, service, etc.? Obviously, The Hobbit doesn't have the Disney touches.

Baby Mine
03-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks Mansion Man - I've never interclubbed with your club, but I have been to Kiwanisland several times. Maybe we need a divisional event there. Did you go to the Governors Visit at House of Blues? I expected a better meal and to be inside. I'll try to make an interclub with yours sometime - although mornings are hard (I have Mommy duty).

KarenW2 - I ahve always wanted to go to The Hobbit - can you tell me about it?

KarenW2
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
For "Baby Mine" and those who don't know, The Hobbit is a "Contemporary Continental" restaurant, in the city of Orange. It's in an unlikely area, on East Chapman, full of strip malls & the like. It's housed in an Early California style house, that you'd probably pass right by. We've been there many times and still have to slow down to look for it!

Anyway, there is one seating a night, starting with champagne (sparking apple juice for non-drinkers) and various kinds of appetizers in their basement wine cellar. Here you'll find wines of all prices, that can be ordered to accompany your meal, as you enjoy the appetizers, like pate with crackers, an artichoke dip that's incredibly good, their "French Sandwich" - filo dough cut into triangles, with cheese and spicy meat inside, caviar, oysters, etc. A somallier is available, to answer any wine questions you might have and a wine pairing meal is available, at an extra fee.

After about a half hour of "grazing" and socializing, you're asked to come back upstairs, to be seated at your table for dinner. There is one menu for the night, with an alternate course in place of the meat course, for those who don't want meat. Here's a recent menu:

Cavatelli with Spring Vegetables with Pernod Cream Sauce, Seared Peppered Ahi with Red Wine and Tomato Jus, Mixed Greens & Roast Duck Breast Salad with Lingonberry Glaze, Intermission, Sorbet, Beef Wellington or Oven Baked Chilean Seabass with Mushroom & Bacon Ragout and Boca Negra with Seville Orange Sauce

"Intermission" is the break between the 4th & 5th courses, where you're invited to go to the kitchen to talk to the chef or see what he's working on, take a stroll outside, etc., while they reset the table for the remainder of the meal. Dessert can be accompanied by dessert wines, specialty coffees, etc. Their Hobbit Cappucino is a chocolate lover's delight!

The dining adventure basically lasts from about 7:30 (7pm on Sundays) until 10:30, or until you're ready to leave. Service is incredible and it makes for a very relaxing evening, to sit back, relax and talk with friends or family.

Dress is jackets preferred, ties optional, and the seven-course meal currently costs $65 pp, not including tax, tip & beverages. The alternate non-meat entree is an additional $5.75pp. If you want to know what the menu is on a particular day, you can get it from their mailing list newsletters or by checking out their website, a recent addition, at: www.hobbitrestaurant.com

Reservations are required and need to be made well in advance most times. They also host special wine dinners and holiday dinners during the year.

It is our special place for celebrations, a nice night out with friends or when we just want to get away, to relax and be served!

Anything else you'd like to know? Just ask & I'll be happy to answer your questions.

We're hoping the dinner at Club 33 is at least as good as The Hobbit!

avromark
03-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Didn't you post a similar topic on another message board?

cstephens
04-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by avromark
Didn't you post a similar topic on another message board?

That wouldn't be unusual. A number of us participate on more than one discussion board and will have the same discussions on both/all of them.

KarenW2 - Thanks for the info about the Hobbit. That sounds really cool. I'll have to see if we can do that sometime.

Morrigoon
04-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah, the Hobbit sounds really cool. If I didn't already have 3x the number of theater plans than I have $, I'd probably plan a night there. (Hey, it's not my fault that Les Mis is in town, and Miss Saigon is hitting Vegas the same month that Phantom is in San Francisco! And don't get me started on the Hollywood Bowl having Patti LuPone and Nathan Lane in the same show!)

KarenW2
04-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks again to all for your input on this. We'll be there tomorrow night and are really looking forward to our first Club 33 experience!!

Morrigoon, what show is the Bowl doing with Patti Lupone and Nathan Lane? When will it be? We just got our Producer's tickets for June yesterday, since we're Ahmanson subscribers and are looking forward to seeing Martin Short and Jason Alexander in that one!

jslivinski
04-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Karen,

It's been a week, so tell us how was your dinner at Club 33.