PDA

View Full Version : Are Monorails still having problems?

Maximus
03-26-2003, 12:40 PM
I know they have been having problems for some time now and wondered if anything has changed? Anyone got stuck on them lately?

DisneyFan25863
03-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Same ol' Same ol' promblems:(

Polar33
03-26-2003, 02:39 PM
They have been going 101 a minimum of three to four times a day recently. A few weekends ago I counted 9 times in my shift alone that they broke down. The breakdowns don't last very long, but they are still too frequent. Red is out of the picture again too, orange and purple seem to be the only ones I see out now of days.

Mr.AlfaRomeo
03-27-2003, 06:47 AM
I was at the park yesteraday, and while in DTD after my movie, the gates to the monorail station were closed. Was told by a CM tat the monorail had broken down. This was about 5:30

RStar
03-27-2003, 08:29 AM
Maximus,

Unfortunatly, the problems with the Monorails are not going to just go away. My understanding is that they have been repaired beyond repair. They won't run any better untill they are REPLACED. They will only get worse. And at this point I haven't heard about any order for new ones being placed yet, the budget just isn't there for it at this point. But with the costs of all the 101 manpower, they could have replaced them by now I bet.

Duane
03-28-2003, 11:20 AM
I am fully aware that the Disneyland fleet of monorails have a lot of mileage under their belt but I can't help thinking this is our justification to receive new ones. I am a school teacher who also has a tremendous amount of experience in mechanical repair. My opinion is the monorail fleet could be completely overhauled mechanically to restore them to "like new" condition. Do we knock down the matterhorn and replace it because it's old and worn, of course not. You just replace the mechanical operating systems of a unit and it is as good as new. They're going to replace the Space Mountain track because of mechanical fatigue, not knock down the entire building and start over. You repair a mechanical unit by replacing the "guts", not the whole body. The monorail problems have been simple mechanical failures, not structural. There haven't been seats, windows, or passengers falling off the monorail. A monorail hasn't broken into pieces and derailed from the track. I'm sure that Disney will find an effective solution to the problem, they always do!

RStar
03-28-2003, 02:42 PM
To some extent you are right, but I have also heard that some of the interior is being held together by white duct tape. So there could be a lot of interior needing replacement, as well as much of the mechanics. Then the factor becomes which is the best financial decision, completly overhaul, or buy new.

The problem is, they don't want to spend the money on either. And the longer they wait the worse it gets, and the more the overhaul may cost.

And if you are going to put up a lot of cash, you may as well make a change you can market.

"COME SEE THE NEW MONORAILS AT DISNEYLAND!"

stitcher
03-29-2003, 12:39 AM
Have to agree with RStar on this,.....

I'm quite sure many of the parts on the Monorail are also One of a kind stuff, and it would cost nearly the price of a new Monorail train to remanufacture them, tear the thing down and completely rebuild it. Not to mention the fact that they would probably not be able to do the job on site....It would require moving the darn things to a very large enclosed area. In other words, they'd be better off just getting new ones

cujosr
03-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by stitcher
Not to mention the fact that they would probably not be able to do the job on site....It would require moving the darn things to a very large enclosed area. In other words, they'd be better off just getting new ones That's what "The Roundhouse" is for. they do all repairs and storage for the monrails and the trains there.

stitcher
03-31-2003, 01:13 AM
True however we are talking about a complete teardown and rebuild