PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Else Wish They'd Bring Back the BEAUTY & THE BEAST SHOW at Disneyland?

MrSimply
07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I have fond memories of the Beauty & The Beast Live Stage Show (1/2 hour version) at Disneyland. (1992-1995.) It was extremely popular...and a great show!

When I was at Disneyland a few months ago, the stage area was being almost completely unused. What a shame.

A very similar version is still running at Walt Disney World...why not Disneyland??

They've brought back the Main Street Electrical Parade, Mr. Lincoln and I'm sure many other attractions, I say--"BRING BACK THE BEAUTY & THE BEAST STAGE SHOW!"

Anyone with me?

jcruise86
07-03-2010, 06:46 AM
The last time I praised "B & the Beast" (not the classic, often stolen from Cocteau version) was at a party. Two people (my feminist wife and a Yale grad attending USC's Graduate Screenwriting Program) teamed up to question what lesson it imparts to girls:

"The monster locks her up, but she forgives him and falls in love with him,
and that's OK because he changed."

I know. Just a story, other stories also bad, ...need to get a life, GREAT tunes!

Tangent warning:

I wish a 45 minute version of Julie Taymor's "Lion King" could replace the (excellent) "Aladdin" in DCA or maybe replace the princesses' fair at Disneyland, but that's still playing in Vegas, and I doubt the Vegas investors would approve.

And, of course, the stage version of "Mary Poppins" is supposed to be great, but that will probably be in theaters for another decade.

Maybe Disneyland or DCA could get one of the following musicals:

"Nemo"?

An improved "Tarzan" stage show?

"The Jungle Book" with two great new songs added to the two great old songs?

Snow White?

South Park: the Musical of the Movie on Stage! (Just kidding.)

I'm glad they halted the cruise ship "Toy Story" musical from taking Aladdin's place. The entire Toy Story trilogy is so outstanding that I hate when anything mediocre is associated with it.

BlkPearlCptn
07-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Besides the Beauty and the Beast show, I wish they would bring back the Hunchback show in the old Festival of Fools Arena. THAT was an awesome production!

AJDerrick
07-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Besides the Beauty and the Beast show, I wish they would bring back the Hunchback show in the old Festival of Fools Arena. THAT was an awesome production!

I'd rather have the Hunchback show and then ad some of the new Broadway version of Little Mermaid, Tarzan or Lion King.

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I would love for them to bring back Beauty & The Beast.

TowerofTerror
07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I would love them to bring the show back because I never saw it

Toocherie
07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I would love for them to do SOMETHING with Princess Faire stage area!

amelialourdes
07-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Disliked pretty much every Disney Broadway musical created -- why? Because I probably could've seen a production like that on the stage near Small World. They're so Disneyland appropriate and I hate paying Broadway prices.

But, replying here because I completely agree with the OP! I have fond memories of that wonderful stage production and I feel my heart sink every time I look at the empty Snow White set. It's such a waste and if I could have great memories there as a kid, I'm sure my family's kids would have a good time there too.

mousecanuck
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I would LOVE it if they brought back Beauty and the Beast - we missed it by a year when we got married in '91. If there's an unused stage, why not? And why not rotate the shows every so often? We did see the Festival of Fools (though it was a little hard to see - if memory serves, you stood for it and we had to hold my 3 1/2 year old daughter up for the whole thing...hmmm...that sounds familiar...) but it was really well done and fun to watch. It would be wonderful if they did a production for a two year run (say the opposite two years of a theme, ie. if Celebrate! is over at the end of 2010, the show would run 2010 & 2011).

dznyphreak
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
From what I understand, the venue can't be used for a full stage production without major renovation. Under the "grandfather rule," an older attraction that doesn't meet current safety standards/codes can continue operation as long as it hasn't stopped for any length of time (for instance, the Matterhorn could not be built today the way it currently stands, but can continue running under this rule...or so I understand). Since it's been a few years since Snow White ended, I think it falls outside that window and would need massive overhaul to get up to code.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :)

cstephens
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
We did see the Festival of Fools (though it was a little hard to see - if memory serves, you stood for it and we had to hold my 3 1/2 year old daughter up for the whole thing...hmmm...that sounds familiar...)

It was mostly a sit-down show. They had benches or you could sit on the ground. You could stand if you were in the back or if you were in a very uncrowded section. We always preferred sitting on the ground because it was closer to the middle action.

DznyKyd
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree, Beauty & the Beast would be great, but the Festival of Fools was awesome! I vote: "Bring them both back!"