PDA

View Full Version : Sharing dinners

msr709
03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
When I went with my elderly Mom to WDW we went to a lot of the nicer restaurants and shared the meal (mainly the main course, appetizers were ordered individually) and mainly because my Mom could never eat a full meal by herself (and we also saved some $ doing this). The restaurants were very nice about it and even gave us separate plates or some of them divided it for us. My question is, are the restaurants at the DL resorts used to this? Some of the restaurants we went to were; the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary, and one of the restaurants at the Polynesian Hotel (can't remember the name), the Chinese restaurant at EPCOT and the one from Canada. Has anyone done this at DL? I would really like to try Yamabuki and order one of the mixes and would like to share it with my SIL. Has anyone eaten at Yamabuki? Since this is my first time at DL, any and ALL info will be greatly appreciated.

Lani
03-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Most nice restaurants (on-property or not) are very accustomed to splitting entrees. The only thing you need to watch out for is that some of the more expensive ones will charge you a plate sharing fee (usually around $5), although at those places you will usually each get a full amount of your side dish (with just the main meat or whatever dish split in half). Those restaurants are also good to make sure to say so on the menu (usually on the bottom).

ae's mom
03-26-2003, 09:05 AM
:) We actually split the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou three ways and the waiter was very nice about it. One of us had soup as well. Then we proceeded to split the wonderful birthday bucket cake, too!!!:p

pokeypoke
03-26-2003, 09:17 AM
While I have never eaten at Yamabuki, on 2 occasions I had split my main entree when dinning at DGC's Napa Rose. They were very accomidating and both times, they brought out an extra plate. The reason for our sharing the meals were not because we were watching our budget but rather, we are not big eaters. Therefore on each occasion, I left the waiters a 40% gratuity.

Pokey

msr709
03-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all your responses. And I agree with Pokeypoke, I'm a big tipper and I usually give the tip as if we both ate individual dinners. I've been very lucky that all the restaurants I've been to at WDW I've had excellent service and I tip accordingly. I think the waiter/ress and most of the cast members at WDW are the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting, they are the real magic!

Andrew
03-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Splitting meals is also a good way for two adults to deal with the huge portions at many restaurants. Jen and I have done this on several WDW trips and it works well. The restaurant staff are usually very understanding, and usually you'll end up with full or almost-full helpings of whatever side dishes are included with just the main item being split.
As was said above, remember to tip for two entrees even though you only ordered one!

Sonya in Boise
03-26-2003, 10:27 AM
We eat at mostly counter service places at DLR but they have been very wonderful at giving extra plates and even an extra applesauce for my little one, (she would eat an entire jar if I let her).

At White Water snacks they split the girls chicken fingers into two baskets and gave each of them a huge helping of fries.

Plaza inn has a huge chicken dinner for adults. I think it is around 11.00 for three picecs of chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and a biscut. You can pick your own chicken pieces, my husband gets 3 breasts and my mother in law had 3 legs. These two meals were enought to feed three adults and 2 kids. We bring in our own water and juice for the kids, so we never had to buy drinks.

Don't be afraid to ask the CM's. They are mostly wonderful. In three trips in the last 6 months we have only run into one CM that was not very friendly. Pretty good record if you ask me.

Have a fun trip.

msr709
03-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Thank you all for your helpful responses! ;)

Wizard69
03-27-2003, 10:08 AM
I split the Chicken Pesto Alfredo pasta from Plaza Inn on a regular basis (yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy).