PDA

View Full Version : ‘World of Color’ Goes Online and On Tour

AVP
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
‘World of Color’ Goes Online and On Tour

Iconic Locations in California Cities Will be Transformed Using Digital Projections and Favorite Disney and Disney●Pixar Stories

Viewers Invited to Watch and Participate Online

Anaheim, Calif. (July 1 , 2010) – Viewers around the world will join a one-of-a-kind, online phenomenon in July to experience the extraordinary magic of “World of Color,” the new after-dark spectacular presented nightly in Disney California Adventure park in Anaheim. The interactive tour will feature live shows in four California cities, and the online audience will travel “virtually” to each location to watch the shows and interact with the webcast.
In each city, specially produced animation will be projected onto a familiar city landmark, using a sensational mixture of special effects, high-tech projections and one of the storytelling themes presented in “World of Color.”
The public is invited to participate online only at the “World of Color” Road Show website (www.worldofcolorroadshow.com), where viewers will enjoy a rich experience that includes Disney animation and music, video entertainment and a “viewer’s choice” opportunity to vote for the starring color in that evening’s show. Each city will have a broadcast location designed for media only.

This “online spectacular” is inspired by the dazzling “World of Color” show, which combines music, animation, water and a multitude of special effects in a magical celebration of Disney characters and storytelling. A new venture for the Disneyland Resort, the tour will utilize streaming online video to bring its own special magic to the World Wide Web and to iconic locations in San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego and Los Angeles. Each locale will deliver a different, amazing show.

ONLINE EXPERIENCE: Viewers will be able to access the webcast performances live and on encore nights at the website, in English at www.WorldofColorRoadShow.com and in Spanish at www.coloresdisney.com. The site also features an artistic video mashup, interviews with the creators of “World of Color” and the voting option. Video clips from each iconic location will be added to the show on ensuing nights, inspiring viewers to follow the virtual tour throughout California.

CAST YOUR VOTE: Just as fairies cast their spells, online viewers will cast their votes each night for one of three colors representing each of the Three Good Fairies from “Sleeping Beauty” – Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. The color with the most votes will be featured in the show’s opening moment, complete with a trail of pixie dust. In true Disney style, the winning fairy will fly from computer screens to the landmark location and she will conjure the magical transformation of the landmark using the chosen color – red, green or blue. With this bit of magic, online audience members are able to lend their own spark of inspiration to the show.

SHOW THEMES: A different theme will come alive in each of the four cities, with each show reflecting a theme from the “World of Color” production at Disney California Adventure. To experience the show in each city, people will have to visit the website. There will be no accommodations on site in each city.

SAN FRANCISCO: In San Francisco, the unique animation will be projected onto the façade of a landmark that will be revealed online on Opening Night. The presentation is dedicated to the theme of “Love,” featuring romantic couples from Disney and Disney●Pixar animated films. The live show, presented Wednesday and Thursday, July 7 and 8, will repeat continuously from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Pacific time and will be shot from several different angles for the ongoing, live webcast. Encore webcasts (not live) of the San Francisco show will appear online from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July 9 through 11.

SACRAMENTO: With forest and garden scenes from such films as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Pocahontas,” “Bambi” and “Alice in Wonderland,” the online experience in Sacramento will be built around the theme of “Nature.” Presented Thursday through Sunday, July 15-18, in historic Old Sacramento, it will be webcast live from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. each evening.

SAN DIEGO: The next stop will be San Diego where, appropriately enough, “Water” will be the theme of the interactive experience, featuring scenes from “The Little Mermaid,” “Finding Nemo” and others projected onto the U.S.S. Midway Museum at Navy Pier. The San Diego webcasts will be live from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Thursday through Sunday, July 22-25.

LOS ANGELES: The final shows of the online tour will be projected onto the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles Thursday and Friday, July 29 and 30. The theme will be “Sky,” illustrated by scenes from such films as “Aladdin” and “Fantasia.” As before, the live online presentation will be repeated continuously from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Encore performances (not live) will be webcast from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, July 31 and August 1.

About Disneyland Resort: The Disneyland Resort features two theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney California Adventure park – plus the Downtown Disney District comprised of unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s three hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, the magical 970-room Disneyland Hotel and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” fun. For information on “World of Color,” other attractions and vacations at Disneyland Resort visit www.disneyland.com, call (866) 60-DISNEY or contact local travel agents.

AVP
07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
The Disney Parks Blog posted about this yesterday, and I just got the press release from Disney. While they are calling this a "road show," the guest experience is completely online - there's no reason to go to the featured venue, because there won't be any place set up for you to view the event in person. Disney wants you to stay home and view this online, taking part in the interactive experience.

AVP

cutebaton101
07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
wow this is so cool! I am from San Francisco and I'm wondering what landmark they are going to project the show onto!

SigalTchelet
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
The Disney Parks Blog posted about this yesterday, and I just got the press release from Disney. While they are calling this a "road show," the guest experience is completely online - there's no reason to go to the featured venue, because there won't be any place set up for you to view the event in person. Disney wants you to stay home and view this online, taking part in the interactive experience.

AVP

So I can't go down to Old Sacramento to view the show??? That would have been so cool!

AVP
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
So I can't go down to Old Sacramento to view the show??? That would have been so cool!You can *try*, but the info I got today says "please note that no accommodations are being made for the public at the locations. This is an online experience only."

In other words, there's no viewing area at the venues, and Disney doesn't want a crowd of people to show up.

AVP

SigalTchelet
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
You can *try*, but the info I got today says "please note that no accommodations are being made for the public at the locations. This is an online experience only."

In other words, there's no viewing area at the venues, and Disney doesn't want a crowd of people to show up.

AVP

Gotcha. I think I will just watch online. Maybe after the first day, I will see if they allow live viewing.

olegc
07-02-2010, 07:07 AM
You can *try*, but the info I got today says "please note that no accommodations are being made for the public at the locations. This is an online experience only."

AVP

so how do we REALLY know they are at the site. Maybe it's on a sound stage, maybe it's virtual, maybe.... yeah right. :fez:

CADisneyGirl
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I live just south of San Francisco and I would love to watch this "live" but the time that they're doing it those nights I'm already asleep since I have to get up at 3am to go to work. :crying: Maybe I can watch the "encore" presentation on the weekend. Now all I have to do is remember to do that.

Nonsuch
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Some San Francisco "landmarks", Coit Tower comes to mind, have very limited space (parking and general access).

Nonsuch
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
so how do we REALLY know they are at the site. Maybe it's on a sound stage, maybe it's virtual, maybe.... yeah right. :fez:
Like the moon landings :rolleyes:

SigalTchelet
07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Some San Francisco "landmarks", Coit Tower comes to mind, have very limited space (parking and general access).

Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, AT&T park are others.

SigalTchelet
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
It is on right now. It is at the Palace of the Legion of Honor

http://disneylandevent.com/woc/

Gone2Disneyland
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
So I saw the last ten minutes of it just now when I got home. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was waterless! :p I'm waiting for it to loop to try and watch what I missed. I think my verdict's still tbd until I see it all again.

Update: Alright I just watched the whole thing. I couldn't be more than fifteen minutes total. The beginning with the whole TRON-esque theme totally hooked me from the start, very edge and techie. Eventually it sequed into the "Love" theme and in total, I loved it. I couldn't stop my brain from wondering if it all wasn't done on location after all and just all totally computer-generated tho'.

olegc
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
So I saw the last ten minutes of it just now when I got home. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was waterless! :p I'm waiting for it to loop to try and watch what I missed. I think my verdict's still tbd until I see it all again.

all the road show stuff is waterless. It's WoC inspired, not the actual WoC. So you get projections of color, shapes, and images on the historic landmarks..

Kind of hokey if you ask me - but someone somewhere liked it enough to give it a green light... Maybe if they spent some time planning for problems instead of spending more marketing money.... :eek:

Nonsuch
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
The projection onto the Legion of Honor was very impressive. Multiple projectors were used to form one continuous image. The video was made to match the shape of the building. The video is only 9 minutes, but was worth the trip to the Legion of Honor.

Check YouTube for:
World of Color Road Show Legion of Honor San Francisco

Goosegirl
07-08-2010, 09:35 AM
So cool!! Thank you for the information. It was beautiful to watch, even on YouTube.