PDA

View Full Version : Any Interesting Disneyland Facts?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

DLANDLUVR
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Okay...I am a nerd. I really like hearing about Disneyland History and silly little facts....does anybody have any? I really like them!

zombie pirate
07-01-2010, 10:39 AM
The Matterhorn started out as a pile of dirt, and debri from when they dug out the moat for Cinderella's Castle.

zombie pirate
07-01-2010, 10:52 AM
This might be a myth but I heard that it used to be easy to park, then go inside Disneyland. They used to have a very large parking lot. The lots went by Disney characters, and numbers so it would be easier to find your vehicle at the end of your fun day. Here is a pic that I found of how it was numbered.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/LONERANGERZOMBIE/DISNEY.gif

cstephens
07-01-2010, 10:55 AM
The Matterhorn started out as a pile of dirt, and debri from when they dug out the moat for Cinderella's Castle.

Ahem - *Sleeping Beauty* Castle.

zombie pirate
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Ahem - *Sleeping Beauty* Castle.

Sorry, Sleeping Beauty's Castle it is:eyeroll:

SigalTchelet
07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
This might be a myth but I heard that it used to be easy to park, then go inside Disneyland. They used to have a very large parking lot. The lots went by Disney characters, and numbers so it would be easier to find your vehicle at the end of your fun day. Here is a pic that I found of how it was numbered.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss250/LONERANGERZOMBIE/DISNEY.gif

That is very true. CA Adventure is where the parking lot was. When I went back to Disneyland last October, it was disconcerting to not see that (even though I knew CA Adventure was built on it)

Michael24
07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Ah, the glory days of the Disneyland parking lot. I can recall so many visits that ended with that long walk across the lot at 1AM, my family and I shuffling along almost like zombies, back to our hotel on Katella. LOL!!

Here's a Disneyland fact. I'm sure some already know it, but I never knew about it until this year. There's a set of fake masts that can be seen atop a building in New Orleans Square, making it appear a clipper ship is docked on the other side. You can see a picture of them here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmiller/368522551/).

Jawknee
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Ah, the glory days of the Disneyland parking lot. I can recall so many visits that ended with that long walk across the lot at 1AM, my family and I shuffling along almost like zombies, back to our hotel on Katella. LOL!!

Here's a Disneyland fact. I'm sure some already know it, but I never knew about it until this year. There's a set of fake masts that can be seen atop a building in New Orleans Square, making it appear a clipper ship is docked on the other side. You can see a picture of them here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmiller/368522551/).

I actually did not know that! Holy crap, that's awesome. :)

AnaheimPark
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I, too, remember the parking lots where DCA is now. I was pretty young, maybe 7, on my first trip to Disneyland. I remember walking along the hot pavement to the parking shuttle that took us to the front gate.

Interesting fact: The drops in POTC get you under the railroad tracks, and in the last scene right after the jail scene, the fallen wood covers you as you go back under the railroad tracks.

Jawknee
07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Although there are various reports as to why it was done (whether on purpose or on accident), Sleeping Beauty castle was built backwards. Some reports say the entire thing was built backwards, others say just the top. Either way, it's a fun fact!

AJDerrick
07-01-2010, 12:29 PM
When the parking lot still existed the monorail recording used to tell you to play a game: Try to Find the Family Car. Impossible, to be sure!

candles71
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Learned while playing the Muppets Treasure hunt a year and a half ago: The San Francisco "houses" across from the Little Mermaid ride, in DCA, their house numbers double as you look left (grizzly bathrooms) to right (facing lagoon) 8(I think this one is gone now that the bathrooms are there) 16, 32, 64...

DaDuckFan1955
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Wow! Too bad they removed them..

Michael24
07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
The sails are still there. Like I said, I'd never heard about them until I was there in May, when I bought a little book full of Disneyland facts the day before I went out to the park. When I went out the next day, I looked for them and spotted them. They're kind of hard to see because of trees, but if you stand in just the right spot you can see them. :)

codewoman
07-01-2010, 01:20 PM
They're kind of hard to see because of trees, but if you stand in just the right spot you can see them. :)

And that spot is? :|

cstephens
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Ah, the glory days of the Disneyland parking lot.

The funny thing was that in the evening, you would see cars parked fairly up close in the wrong direction, and you knew those were the APs who were arriving after work. :)

The sails are still there. Like I said, I'd never heard about them until I was there in May, when I bought a little book full of Disneyland facts the day before I went out to the park.

We learned about that on one of the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tours. I thought that was pretty cool too.

potzbie
07-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Here is a subtle feature which blew me away the first time I saw it.

In the hat shop next to the Fantasyland Tea Cups, there is a mirror where the Cheshire cat appears and disappears.

candles71
07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't think we will ever run out of new "little" things to notice. There is something at the tip of my brain, and I can't think what it is.:|

darph nader
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
When the parking lot still existed the monorail recording used to tell you to play a game: Try to Find the Family Car. Impossible, to be sure!

Could always spot our car in a heart-beat. (kinda sad huh?)

candles71
07-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Usually cause I knew where we parked.:cool:

Michael24
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
And that spot is? :|

There might be another spot, but for me, I spotted them by walking along the Rivers of America, as if coming from Big Thunder and heading toward Pirates, a little past that petrified tree stump near the Mark Twain entrance.

AJDerrick
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM

As a happily oblivious child I was never very good at remembering where the car was. :) If only as an adult I did better at remembering...good thing cars 'beep' when you have a remote for them!

One of my most missed places in Disneyland is the Monorail Cafe. We used to have breakfast there every morning before heading up to catch the monorail into the park. I still remember the Mickey and Pinocchio menu masks!

A fun Disneyland fact we just experienced for the first time is the VIP car on the train, the Lilly Belle. If you ask at the Main Street station first thing in the morning you can get an appointment to come back and be a VIP. The car interior was designed by Walt's wife herself, it's a fun way to take a ride on the train.

potzbie
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
There is something at the tip of my brain, and I can't think what it is.:|

Pre-frontal cortex? ;)

"I'd rather have
a bottle in front of me
than
a frontal labotomy." :)

zombie pirate
07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I heard that they have a indian burial ground somewhere in the park. and that in the early ticket days you needed a P-Ticket to use the restrooms, and a L-Ticket to stand in line for an attraction.

Goodnplenty
07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
I didn't know about the Cheshire Cat mirror. I will have to look for it on our next trip. Thanks for the tip!

GnP:D