PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours 2.0

Scalper10
03-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Star Tours 2.0 article @ GalacticHunter.com (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=986&zoneid=2)

Real or No?

Instidude
03-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Interesting, but the plot line sounds very weak. I do like the theory that nothing is being done because people are still riding the ride. That sounds very Disney-like.

stitcher
03-26-2003, 07:25 AM
Exactly the problem....If we ride it, they don't change it, If we don't,.....they close it down "until they can further determine a suitable replacement".(At least that's what they've been doing):D

So then we have another empty attraction adding to the blight.

Sarcasm aside, the point is made.....With the reputation Disney has now, no matter what the attendance is on "Star Tours", we most likely will not like the result. Then again we may have hope after all....:rolleyes: ;)

I kinda enjoy the current movie, however, that's all it is.... Simulations are meant to change(Same for HISTA). They need to get something else in there to WOW the guests. I really would like to see something similar to that article. And yes, the technology is there.

More later.....

hbquikcomjamesl
03-26-2003, 07:34 AM
Of course, look at what happened the last time an attraction was radically reworked: The Country Bear Vacation Hoedown. They took a timeless classic animatronic show, the CBJ, and turned it into one that was dated almost instantly, and by the time it was shut down to make room for the west coast Pooh, it had become completely irrelevant. Want proof? The WDW-MK CBJ was there for a while before we got ours, and while they did run VH for a while, when it first came out, they had the sens to go back to the original, which still plays to full houses today, even in the slack season.

Tref
03-26-2003, 07:59 AM
I would agree that Star Tours has definately lost the WOW feeling of the first few go arounds. Its time they tweak the thrills a bit and a new Star Wars film makes a lot of sense. Of course, a few of you here will say its time to retrofit the building for a new Innerspace ride ...
... AND YOU'D BE RIGHT!
but I don't think we'll be that lucky. Still how hard could be it to switch the films? If Disney really has one in the can, I would imagine we'd (or at least, Al) would have heard about it by now. It may just be wishful thinking.

I remain,

Doodle Duck
03-26-2003, 08:45 AM
I think Lucas wants/wanted (rightly) a fully DIGITAL retrofit that has been off the budget.

Tref
03-26-2003, 09:25 AM
That makes sense, Dood. But how expensive could it be?

Doodle Duck
03-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Evidently expensive enough that Lucas' wishes have been flaunted so far.

Aside from the projection equipt., the 'set' would have to be re-dressed considerably and the screens would need to be enlarged etc. etc.

Personally...whats money when it comes to re-establishing dominance in the industry?

This ride when 1st introduced was a world beater. Now it's just a beater. (though I still like it alot)

Darkbeer
03-26-2003, 12:02 PM
The plot line sounds very similar to something I was told.....

Real? Well, I can't hand you a copy of the script, or storyline....
;)

cujosr
03-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Here's what we do! Everybody but like three copy of the attack of the clones DVD then go see episode 3 like forty times when it comes out. Lucas will be rich and we will still not have a new ride. lol.
Seriously what we need to do is start writing letters to lucasfilm who sponsers the ride and ask for a replacement.

Ace
03-29-2003, 09:44 AM
I still think Star Tours is awesome. It wouldn't be that expensive to make a new movie for it. Compared to an entirely new ride, it would be cheap. I'm not sure if they think it's nessecary, or if it even is nessecary, though. I'd still prefer that they spend any money they have in the budget for Tomorrowland on the peoplemover.

furbE95
03-30-2003, 04:32 PM
would a new film require new motion from the ride vehicle, or would the new film match the motion of the old film identicly? It seems like reworking the motion might be the expensive part.

DisneyFan25863
03-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
would a new film require new motion from the ride vehicle, or would the new film match the motion of the old film identicly? It seems like reworking the motion might be the expensive part.
That's easy. From what I have heard, all they do is take a joystick and stear it. Much like a Flight Simulator ;)

cujosr
03-30-2003, 08:37 PM
You are correct. Joystick then some testing and fine tuning.