PDA

View Full Version : Time Share Guys on Harbor Blvd.

Pages : [1] 2

txdisneymom
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Just spent 7 nights at the Howard Johnsons (which was AWESOME!) and I have a question... Am I the only one who gets super tired of the obnoxious and pushy time share guys standing outside on the curb close to the Tropicana? Every walk to the park was interrupted by these guys. They were actually stepping out in front of us on the sidewalk tryingto stop us as we walked by every single day! After about the 3rd day my husband spoke up and said "leave us alone".

Niwel
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Just to avoid them we cross Harbor at Manchester and take the sidewalk under the monorail. :D

heatherya
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
they've been there every time we've gone in the past 3 years (at least 10 times). we just avoid eye contact, keep up our conversation and move on. if they start to talk to us, we say no thanks or just ignore them. they've never tried to step in front of us...we'll see what happens when we go in august lol.

Drince88
06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Just to avoid them we cross Harbor at Manchester and take the sidewalk under the monorail. :D

That's what we do when we stay at HoJos! Doesn't work so well with the 'closer' hotels on Harbor, though! (Added bonus is you don't have to worry about cars pulling into/out of traffic!)

I've never had problems with them stepping in front of us. Have been able to not make eye contact and/or shake my head no, and they don't bug me. Maybe because the only time I've walked by with an adult male there were clearly too many adult females for them to figure out where (if) there was a husband/wife pair, and time share people don't like dealing with only one-part of a couple (too easy to say "I have to discuss with my spouse" when they're giving the hard sell).

AJDerrick
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
We were crossing the street to avoid them last month too. The first morning we didn't know about them so we met one, who asked if I needed a map. I laughed a little and said no. He then said he didn't want to 'waste any of our time' (too late for that) and asked if either of us were 30. We said no and headed on our way.

This trip it was true--we're both under 30. In the future though I think I'll keep saying we're not as long as we can get away with it!

BlkPearlCptn
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Had one step out in front of our group this weekend. VERY pushy. Finally had to say, "Look, I just don't care." and walk away. Started crossing at Harbor (stayed at HoJo's) to avoid them as well.

candles71
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Learned from my dad...... just keep walking, right over them if need be.:|:p Depending on the situation we might say no thankyou, etc. It like trying to walk through the mall anymore with all the kiosks.

FaithTrustPixieDust
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I just reply did it yesterday.

Mickey Mojo
06-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Learned from my dad...... just keep walking, right over them if need be.:|:p Depending on the situation we might say no thankyou, etc. It like trying to walk through the mall anymore with all the kiosks.

That's how we do it! I try to avoid eye contact and suddenly make myself busy fidgeting with something, lol.

nursechrissy32
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
We ignore them too...I am curious...has anyone actually taken them up on their offer?

lola2009
06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I just tell them "we aren't married", which is true. They walk away each time apparently they target married couples.

aznewsboy
06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
It like trying to walk through the mall anymore with all the kiosks.

Totally agree. The timeshare people annoy me at DL or at the mall. There's NO way I'm leaving my kids in the care of complete strangers for $100 Disney dollars or whatever their current offer is. I am assuming the kids have to go into some sort of childcare while they pitch it to you.

And the lotion & makeup people at the mall drive me nuts too.

SigalTchelet
06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
And the lotion & makeup people at the mall drive me nuts too.

Those are usually the people trying to sell you Dead Sea Cosmetics. They are usually Israelis who try to be very persuasive. They don't know when to stop. I am Jewish and love Israelis, but these types turn me off. Candles, have you ever seen the ones at Arden Fair, or do you shop out in Roseville at the Galleria?

Sorry to get off topic.

Goodnplenty
07-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Yep, I remember the timeshare guys. DH and I try to avoid eye contact too. But now I think I might use a tactic that we use at home. When someone leaves a little sales ad on our door, we save it for the next sales person we can't get rid of. It's great to see the look on their faces when you say, "Oh yes, and I have something for you!" After all they look like goofs if they expect you to listen to them, but they can't be bothered to listen to you. Maybe on our next trip we will take some of those "Spray your Yard" sales slips or "Steam clean you carpet" thingys.

GnP :p

danyoung
07-01-2010, 07:34 AM
The trick is the same as when you're walking through the games area of a carnival - total ignoring! Don't slow down, don't make eye contact, don't respond in any way to anything they say. You're not being rude - THEY'RE being rude by forcing themselves on you. And they won't really be offended - as soon as they see that you're not going to be a potential customer, they'll drop you like a hot potato and move on to the next mark.

But it is easier to cross the street and walk under the monorail (shadier, too!).

candles71
07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Those are usually the people trying to sell you Dead Sea Cosmetics. They are usually Israelis who try to be very persuasive. They don't know when to stop. I am Jewish and love Israelis, but these types turn me off. Candles, have you ever seen the ones at Arden Fair, or do you shop out in Roseville at the Galleria?

Sorry to get off topic.

They are exactly who I am talking about. I'm pretty sure both malls are the same people. I haven't been to Arden Fair in YEARS! Sunrise occasionally, but Roseville is much closer and convienient. I think I've been to Downtown Plaza much more recently than Arden, just because I happened to be downtown for some reason.:p The Rosetta Stone guy and the Tupperare lady don't chase you down. Same girl has been working another booth, but I can't remeber what it is.

We have done timeshare spiels in the past. In fact, my parents got some great stuff over the years, but when I 'm at Disneyland, I'm not taking that kind of time out of my day.

SigalTchelet
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
They are exactly who I am talking about. I'm pretty sure both malls are the same people. I haven't been to Arden Fair in YEARS! Sunrise occasionally, but Roseville is much closer and convienient. I think I've been to Downtown Plaza much more recently than Arden, just because I happened to be downtown for some reason.:p The Rosetta Stone guy and the Tupperare lady don't chase you down. Same girl has been working another booth, but I can't remeber what it is.

We have done timeshare spiels in the past. In fact, my parents got some great stuff over the years, but when I 'm at Disneyland, I'm not taking that kind of time out of my day.

Yup-the Dead Sea Cosmetics people are at Downtown Plaza! I never go to Sunrise, but I do occasionally go to the Galleria. I am due for a visit! I will make sure I ignore them!

I agree with Dan-do like you do at a carnival. Just walk right by and completely ignore them-no eye contact whatsoever! I stayed at Hojo's in May and we walked to the parks. I don't remember these people. thank goodness!

candles71
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Yup-the Dead Sea Cosmetics people are at Downtown Plaza! I never go to Sunrise, but I do occasionally go to the Galleria. I am due for a visit! I will make sure I ignore them!

I agree with Dan-do like you do at a carnival. Just walk right by and completely ignore them-no eye contact whatsoever! I stayed at Hojo's in May and we walked to the parks. I don't remember these people. thank goodness!

Now, see I will speak to the Carnies, they are less obnoxious.
They are wearing black pants and I think Black polo shirts with a logo on them. Usually they are between the cross walk and McD's. I think their office is in one of the hotels right there.
The store DH likes to buy his suits in is at Sunrise. Have you been since they remodeled, the Galleria?

ChurroGirl
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I have had the Time Share people who post just outside of the Park Vue harass me. One women actually grabbed my arm as I walked away. I nearly punched her.

During the rest of our trip she was there and would quickly walk back up to the hotel area and not on the street as we walked by.

SigalTchelet
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I have had the Time Share people who post just outside of the Park Vue harass me. One women actually grabbed my arm as I walked away. I nearly punched her.

During the rest of our trip she was there and would quickly walk back up to the hotel area and not on the street as we walked by.

Wow-that is aggressive of them!

bennette
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I am really fascinated by this. We don't stay at a hotel where we cross the street all that often but I have never, ever been approached by a time sale person there. (They are there, they just don't approach me.)

I guess you could say I am a focused walker when I have a goal in mind—Disneyland or my bed! I must not look like the kind of person who is going to respond positively.

ChurroGirl
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow-that is aggressive of them!

It was! I was so shocked, I couldnt believe that she was going there. It went from being a great morning to being "wrangled". My DH just stood back ready to pull me off if he had to.
I seriously looked at her and asked if she knew what was about to happen if she continued and she let go.

In those few seconds I thought how I wish I lived near MDM so she could teach me some moves!

BlkPearlCptn
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I just tell them "we aren't married", which is true. They walk away each time apparently they target married couples.

We were a group of three women and they still targeted us!:rolleyes:

Toocherie
07-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I've only stayed at Hojos once, but don't recall these people being there--but like others I would tell them to leave me alone. And not be very nice about it.

bamato
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
My wife and I like to have fun with them :) We'll stop and stare blankly with some goof look on our face. They get frustrated and walk away :)