PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Submarine Lagoon!

Pages : [1] 2

Duane
03-25-2003, 04:44 AM
It looks like all of our letters have paid off in reference to the submarines. I have written guest relations several times and just received this response today. In relation to the submarine lagoon, "Walt Disney Imagineering has already begun formulating preliminary design and conceptual plans for a new attraction". A few weeks ago, they told me that they had no plans to announce a new attraction at this time but it appears that things are at a go ahead now for the return of the submarines. Since they stated a "new attraction", it should be new and improved. Way to go everybody!

Doodle Duck
03-25-2003, 06:09 AM
Yes! Not a complete confirmation of completion but sure is a great news! Thanks Duane for the 'hope'!

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Woo Hoo! Sounds great! Thanks Duane! Btw, how was your WDW trip?

Tina:D

MonorailMan
03-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, thats great! Even if it's just the old Subs back, I'll be one happy kid! :)

Duane
03-25-2003, 08:51 AM
There is new detailed information about the submarines returning today at www.miceage.com if anyone would like to read about them. Also, Dsnylndmom, my recent trip to WDW was fabulous with the exception of massive crowds, long wait times, and hot humid weather. I can't wait to go to Disneyland next time so I can avoid the humidity and use their new unlimited fast pass feature. I have two trips booked already this summer, June 15-19 and July 22-27. Can't wait!

03-25-2003, 10:08 AM
So that stuff they told us in 1998 about reopening the lagoon 2003 turns out to be true, after all!

Doodle Duck
03-25-2003, 10:29 AM
"So that stuff they told us in 1998 about reopening the lagoon 2003 turns out to be true, after all!"

Wow..you're right! hahahaha

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 10:33 AM
have two trips booked already this summer, June 15-19

Duane, I'm jealous you'll be there on my birthday! LOL If I get my AP on this trip I just might be there too! Glad you had a good trip!

Grandbreaker
03-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I was talking to my one of my leads he said that the sub's will be dry meaning that there will be a plexie glass wall between the sub and the show like a trench no water next to the subs. I don't know if it is true or not but thats what my lead told me

Grandbreaker
03-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I was talking to my one of my leads he said that the sub's will be dry meaning that there will be a plexie glass wall between the sub and the show like a trench no water next to the subs. I don't know if it is true or not but thats what my lead told me

Grandbreaker
03-25-2003, 01:01 PM
sorry about the double

furbE95
03-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
that would be an interesting idea. They could possibly improve on the show because they could build animatronics that dont require waterproofing. My only question is how will the sub go from a waterfilled lagoon to an airfilled tunnel?

Toady The Eighth
03-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Nobody rode the Subs when they were there. Why would they spend the time and money bringing it back? It would be like bringing back the Country Bears. A lot of people will go at first, and then people will get bored of it again. Why not introduce a new attraction?

°o° Shannon

Doodle Duck
03-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Toady...alot of people rode the subs...more enjoyed the view of them in the lagoon...they were a Disneyland signature.

There are many of us who love the ride. Allow us our favorites that have nothing to do with current teen tastes or 'edge' or cutting technologies.

As to a dry ride. I sure hope not. What is the point of that? Splash Mt. and Grizzly Rapids might as well go dry then. It's a water ride. Put Thunder Mt. Railroad in liquid? Makes as much sense. Please be wrong.

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 02:12 PM
I loved the subs both as an adult and a child. Sure it wasn't a cutting edge ride but it was an old favorite. I was sad to see them go and am very glad they are coming back. Also, I hated seeing the CBJ go, I went and saw the Country Bears everytime I went to DL and took both of my boys to see them and they loved them too! I wish they could come back also!(I know not gonna happen but I can wish!)

Plus even if I didn't like the subs I feel that anything is better than an empty lagoon

daannzzz
03-25-2003, 02:55 PM
[i]A lot of people will go at first, and then people will get bored of it again. Why not introduce a new attraction?

°o° Shannon [/B]

That is the point. They want to give something for people to ride while Space Mountain is down. When / if the ridership starts lagging after a couple years, space mountian can open up and take back over. The subs can close and hopefully be redone into something new.

Ace
03-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Please be wrong.

Yeah, the dry idea's not too feasable. (Spelling? <---first time i've had to put that). I'm guessing the Subs wouldn't even work without the water without a high level of modification. And also, the subs are too tall for the plexiglass thing to work, anyway (unless Disney invents "water" that can levitate out of the lagoon. Click on this link to Yesterland (http://www.yesterland.com/submarine.html). The Sub sticks out of the water. The plexiglass would presumably go over the sub, which would require it to be at about eye-height to the guests next to the station.). Also, I was under the impression that they're just putting them back in since it's a fairly high-cap ride and without the subs, tomorrowland will consist of : Autopia, HISTA, and Star Tours (of those, a ride about freeways and gas-powered cars is the most popular. In tomorrowland. think about that.)

SO in conclusion it seems that plexiglass is not reasonable. (Although I said that about Splash Mountain's changed seating. I guess Disney is probably calling plexiglass manufacturers right now for quotes.)

Morrigoon
03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
It's worth remembering that rides which young people are quick to label "boring" are often the absolute favorites of young children who are frightened by more exciting rides. Peoplemover, for example, might be boring to young teens, but to some of us adults, it's a great way to relax for 20 minutes while still enjoying an attraction. And for parents of small children, it's a great way to occupy/accommodate the little ones while the big ones go on space mountain and star tours. Same with Subs.

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Morrigoon
I totally agree with you! Nothing like catching those few precious minutes of relaxing on a ride, even though you know the kids are just charging up their batteries! LOL I have this relationship with the Train, it's my "aaahhhh" ride!

MonorailMan
03-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Let me comment on the dry thing: maybe he's talking about putting Plexiglass around the submerged part of the sub, to provide re-enforcement on the old subs, or on the portholes.

THat way, leaks would be less probable. Which, wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

I'd like to state another point:

From Yesterland:
Okay, so the effects weren't really that convincing, but you have to admit that there's no other ride like this one. And if you're like most people, this is as close as you'll ever get to a trip on a real submarine.

This is why the subs, in my opinion are cool. Because, the whole submarine ride idea, has never been done before.

According to Chris Sawyer (maker of Roller Coaster Tycoon 1/2), he included a submarine ride because, "RCT needs to not only feature rides you see everywhere, but those once in a lifetime rides, that you cant head down to a local carnival and see."

The subs are an amazing ride, and when they come back, I'll be there the day they open. :)

From Yesterland
The old Submarine Voyage isn’t coming back.

Let's hope Mr. Weiss was wrong. :)

It amazing how one person can make all the difference in the world. (Jay Vs. Paul)

daannzzz
03-25-2003, 03:52 PM
The year before the subs closed we took my great nephew to the park. He had been there the year before and did okay at 3 1/2. at 5 he was terrified of everything. We made Alice in Wonderland the first ride of the day and he hated it. Wouldn't go on anything that went inside a building in any manner. No train of either kind. No it's a small world. He did rememebr the Tiki room though and we went in there. But he wanted to do the submarines and as we approached the hatch I grabbed his hand to help him down and he yanked it away. "I can do it myself" he said and descended down inside very quickly. He was somewhat apprehensive at first but finally relaxed and enjoyed.
There is and adventurouse lure to this attraction that we adults sometimes forget. For alot of young kids you are going down under the ocean.

merlinjones
03-25-2003, 04:17 PM
>>It would be like bringing back the Country Bears.<<

Yes! Great idea!

You know, there a really nice, detailed new Country Bear Lodge facade up at the Golden Oak Ranch, which I'm sure will never be used again for movie sequels. Why not put it to good use? A nice, new CBJ theatre in the Ranch area... with the original show!

Sonya in Boise
03-25-2003, 09:09 PM
I would love to be able to let my girls see what the ocean looks like from the view of a sub. I can remember how nice and cold it was inside those subs on a hot July day at DL. What a wonderful way to cool off while the kids explore the ocean world.

Our last trip to DL the girls got to ride Peter Pan a few times and now that is all they talk about. Being able to fly over never never land and see Pan and Hook. They often fly to Neverland on the swing set since we have been home.

The subs have an audiance, just like other rides in the park. It would be wonderful if they could incorporate new features, but I wouldn't want too much change.

Lashbear
03-25-2003, 10:54 PM
The two biggest disppointments of Disneyland, as far as Greg & I are concerned are that the Matterhorn & the Subs were both closed when we were there !

...now with both of them about to be back, it seems another trip to LA is inevitable...

Duane
03-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Dsnylndmom-If you will be visiting Disneyland anytime during your birthday, let me know. We would love to say hello to another Disneyphile! They say the submarines will be opening between the fall and Thanksgiving so that's just another excuse to go back again. Keep in touch.