PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Hotel Entrance to DCA

Pages : [1] 2

Pammer
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I've read that Disney is now enforcing the rule that the side entrance between the Grand Californian and DCA is only for hotel guests; however, does anybody know if they will still let regular non-hotel guests use this entrance to go back/forth between the restaurants and DCA during operating hours?

It would be a bummer to have to circle back around to the main entrance after eating at Whitewater Snacks or Storytellers Cafe! :(

codewoman
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I bet if you had a hand stamp, they'd let you go back. Wow, that would be a bummer to be denied that entrance if you just went to WW Snacks!

ETA: I'll be there in July and check it out for you. I'll see how often they ask for a hotel key to see if you're really a guest.

Pammer
06-16-2010, 02:29 PM
That would be great, codewoman - thanks!

I'm an Annual Passholder and usually don't get the handstamp, but it may be worth it if that's what I would need to go back and forth!

Maybe I could just show the restaurant receipt? ;)

AnaheimPark
06-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Hopefully they don't change the way it has been. That entrance comes in really handy when snacking at Whitewater, or visiting the other restaurants in GCH like Pammer mentioned.

codewoman
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Hopefully they don't change the way it has been. That entrance comes in really handy when snacking at Whitewater, or visiting the other restaurants in GCH like Pammer mentioned.

I will mention that when I'm there. ;)

I think the receipt idea is a good one, too.

FolsomFan
06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
We were there a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble.

We went to WS for dinner and were able to use the entrance back into the park without question.

Malcon10t
06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
We were there a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble.

We went to WS for dinner and were able to use the entrance back into the park without question.I think this issue has only risen since the opening of WOC and the issue of the FP machines being closer to the GCH entrance.

I think they will continue to allow anyone to use it after 11 or noon.

CMHusband
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM
They are enforcing it due to WOC so people don't try to circumvent the line at the front of the park just to get Fast passes because it enters the park right at Grizzly.

Oh, or what the person above me said...duh.

iLuvDisney26
06-17-2010, 02:15 AM
and there was a sign posted that only hotel guests could use this entrance!! There was a cast member right at the hotel walkway asking to see hotel room keys!! Later we heard that they would also accept restaurant receipts? Don't know though if you can just purchase a drink or if it has to show you purchased a meal?

GCH is strictly enforcing this!!! A couple with a stroller didn't have a room key or receipt but still wanted to go through. They asked for the supervisor. A supervisor came and it got crazy. Didn't hear what the couple's reasoning was to use this entrance but they were really mad they weren't allowed through!! The lady even took out her cell phone and started taking pictures of the supervisor so she could report him!! He still denied them entry!! :confused:

This happened around 3:30pm!!

MaraMouse
06-17-2010, 03:20 AM
I am a victim of denied access!!

I was there from June 9th to the 13th, and we were using the GCH entrance/exit without any problems until after the 11th! This is what I think really irritated me, that it all of a sudden changed. We were denied entry at around 7pm, so I don't think it particularly has to do with the fast pass access.

Although I did calm down after awhile when I thought about all those massive crowds we had to weave through after a showing of WOC and imagined if I was a guest of the GCH how annoyed and irritated I would be if all those crowds were sifting through the lobby.

So I guess I understand where they are coming from! Sucks, but they're paying, so I guess it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

wabby1
06-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Last Summer, we had the morning breakfast with Chip and Dale at the Storyteller's Cafe, and decided to go into DCA via that side entrance. When we approached the entrance, the Cast Member told us it was only for hotel guests. I explained that we had just had breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe and they obliged us to enter, however they did say that next time they would enforce it. I assured them that there wouldn't be a next time on our stay.

Disney obviously uses that exclusive entrance as a selling point to guests who are considering staying at the GC. "Wow....we have our own entrance that the public can't access." It adds to the experience of staying at the GC.

DLANDLUVR
06-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Well this really stinks! We would use it alot when we were staying at PP last summer! We would ride Grizzly RR and go back and change through that entry way....ugh.

Toocherie
06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, unless Disney's policy has completely changed, the GCH entrance can be used by any guest from any of the three Disney hotels--so staying at PP you should still be good. And last time I was there (about a month ago) they were enforcing the rule.

CADisneyGirl
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm hoping I can still use it. I am a DVC member with my home resort being GC but sometimes I can't get in there and have to stay at either PP or DH. When I was staying at PP they let me through, though that was also in March, and my daughter was able to get through and she was staying at DH, though that was in April. So hopefully they will let us still us it. I would think that they would since you're staying on Disney property. I know in March when we went to go through that entrance we did have to show our room key.

mkraemer
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, unless Disney's policy has completely changed, the GCH entrance can be used by any guest from any of the three Disney hotels--so staying at PP you should still be good. And last time I was there (about a month ago) they were enforcing the rule.

As I was reading this thread, that's exactly what I thought too. It should be a perk for Disney 'onsite' guests, not just those at the Grand Californian.

Pammer
06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Today I read elsewhere that you CAN show your restaurant receipt to use the entrance...I hope that stays accurate!

dlfansx4
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Interesting!! I'll have to check this out when we go. We have never had a problem using that entrance. We generally stop at WW Snacks for lunch and have never had to show a room key to either enter the hotel or go back out to the park. LOL - even when we stayed at CG last summer, we would go back and forth between DCA and the pool (riding rides with our FPs and then going back) and not once were we ever asked for a room key.

I understand with the WOC FP machines being right there, they need to start enforcing that. But as recent as 3 weeks ago we were able to use that entrance with no problem.

Mermaid
06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
We like to go to the lobby for an hour or so and relax on long days. It sounds like we may need to rethink this for the future. Or, just adjust and return through the main entrance. I understand the change and I agree, if I was ponying up the bucks to stay there (or PPH or DLH) I wouldn't like massive crowds using that entrance.

Nickymouse
06-19-2010, 08:21 AM
I was in DCA this wednesday and had lunch at the Storyteller's Cafe. When we were asked for a room key to use the side entrance to return to the park, we simply presented our receipt and were allowed in :)

bombardon3
06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
You can re-enter with a receipt from the GC, but only for re-entry. You can't have breakfast there and then use the entrance to go into DCA for the first time that day (unless of course you are a guest at ANY of the DLR hotels).

cstephens
06-19-2010, 05:32 PM
They're enforcing entry today. The front is blocked off with a CM there to monitor who gets to bag check. As people are exiting turnstile, CM is telling them they can only return that way if they're a hotel guest or if they have a hotel restaurant receipt. Don't know if hotel guests from DLH and PP also count and don't know what counts as a valid receipt. What about a bottle of water from Whitewater? If you're not a hotel guest or aren't having an actual meal, I wouldn't plan to use that entrance anymore.

AlbertaMinnie
06-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Ok, they are restricting people from Entering the park but how about EXITING? We will often use that exit to cut through to Wetzels or Nappolini for a quick snack in the day. Are they restricting access in that direction too?

Nikara
06-20-2010, 08:21 AM
You can definitely still exit. I even exited that way after WOC.

cstephens
06-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok, they are restricting people from Entering the park but how about EXITING? We will often use that exit to cut through to Wetzels or Nappolini for a quick snack in the day. Are they restricting access in that direction too?

Nope, exiting isn't a problem.

dlfansx4
06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the update! So it sounds like we can still do what we usually do, exit the park to eat at WW, then present our receipt from lunch to the CM in order to re-enter the park.

We will give that a try and report back if it works. :-)