PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane vs Disneyland Hotel?

Pages : [1] 2

Christiii
03-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey gang!!
ok, my mom and I care comming to Disneyland on April 11th, and staying maybe 4 nites...I have the disneyland hotel booked for $159 for Fri and Sat, and $119 after that...we always end up back at the DL hotel after trying other ones, but I just hate the $159 price! :(
Ive stayed at the Hilton, West coast Marriott and looked at a few others, but the the thing I hate a lot about these hotels is the communal bus that has to stop at allll the hotels first...The hilto used to have their own, but now they have had to switch to the mass transit ones too...anyhoo...I know I LOVE the Disneyland hotel, but was thinking maybe I could do a few nites in another one that is really close, and hopefully really nice, and then go to the DL hotel on Sunday for my $119 rate...any suggestions?? How do the others stack up?? Help!!
P.S. Ill also be there on the 8th (Im working in Pomona for the week) for the Pooh preview..so I hope to meet some of you guys!!:D

slaakker
03-22-2003, 09:09 PM
I am assuming you have heard about the candy cane inn due to the title of your thread.

Candy Cane Inn is a wonderful place to stay. Rooms are on the small side but the beds are soft.

A few reasons to stay there...

Cheaper than DL hotel
Private shuttle
Refrigerator in room
Nice landscaping with pool, jucuzzi, and kiddie pool
Wonderful continental breadfast. (This alone is why we stay there.)

Just my opinion of course but we enjoy it. AAA discounts are usually the best rate they have.

Christiii
03-23-2003, 05:52 AM
I think I mught just try it!! The private shutte thing sounds great too!! Anyone have any other opinions or ideas?? I really appreciate it!!!:D

Matterhorn Fan
03-23-2003, 06:53 AM
I've read a lot of nice things about the Candy Cane Inn, but my family's never stayed there, the main reason being that it's really not that close to the resort. There are places that might be just as nice that are right across the street, so you wouldn't have to take a shuttle at all. If you're just looking for a place to sleep & shower, you might want to look into the Desert Inn & Suites or the Carousel.

Gemini Cricket
03-23-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by slaakker

Candy Cane Inn is a wonderful place to stay. Rooms are on the small side but the beds are soft.

A few reasons to stay there...

Cheaper than DL hotel
Private shuttle
Refrigerator in room
Nice landscaping with pool, jucuzzi, and kiddie pool
Wonderful continental breadfast. (This alone is why we stay there.)

Yes. This and you can run to Disneyland if you get too excited to wait for a shuttle... :)

Here are some other threads on The Candy Cane Inn:

One (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13183&highlight=candy+cane) about the Candy Cane Inn vs. The HIlton.

A second (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5756&highlight=candy+cane) about close DL motels.

Lastly (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/offsite/2_dl/dl_offsite.htm), MousePlaneteer reviews of off-site hotels/motels. CCI is listed several times...

AVP
03-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Lastly (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/offsite/2_dl/dl_offsite.htm), MousePlaneteer reviews of off-site hotels/motels. CCI is listed several times...
For more recent reviews of the hotels, you can look at the new Hotel and Restaurant Review System.

Reviews for the Candy Cane in are here: (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlra_candycaneinn)
Reviews of the Disneyland Hotel are here: (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrdh)

AVP

Christiii
03-23-2003, 12:21 PM
ok gang..so Ive got a rate of $92 for the deluxe room for Aprill 11th and 12th...does that seem like a good rate for the Candy Cane?? Im going to switch to my beloved Disneyland Hotel probavlyy on Sundy, where I have that rate at $119..tho Im secretly hoping Ireally like the CandyCane, so I have an alternate to the DLH! Tho I do have to get the voice outta my head from Joy Ride...anyone see that?? Candy Cane..are you there Candy Cane?? Yeeps!!:eek:

Gemini Cricket
03-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Christiii
ok gang..so Ive got a rate of $92 for the deluxe room for Aprill 11th and 12th...does that seem like a good rate for the Candy Cane??
Yes it does. I've stayed there for as little as $77.00 but during Spring Break time, $92.00 is not bad.

daannzzz
03-24-2003, 08:19 AM
2 nights at the Candy Cane and 2 nights at the DLH sounds awesome to me.

dsnylndmom
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I saw on mousesavers that the DLR Hotels have a buy 3 get the 4th night for free promotion going on, if you did that you might end up spending about the same amount and you would'nt have to stay at two seperate hotels. Just something to think about!

Here's the link
http://www.mousesavers.com/dlresorts.html

Btw, we'll be there the same time as you will and we will be staying at the Best Western Park Place Inn, which is the closest offsite hotel, it's right at the crosswalk!

Tina:D

Christiii
03-25-2003, 06:27 AM
thanks ofr the info..Ill check it out!! Im not sure if we are staying 3 o 4 nites tho..since we are driving we just kind of decide while we are there...:D

Tink0706
03-25-2003, 09:28 AM
We stayed at both hotels last summer and actually liked the Candy Cane Inn better. The rooms are beautiful, the pool uncrowded (the DL pool was a madhouse), adequate laundry facilities (we waited for hours because DLH has so few machines), and the free breakfast. Someone posted earlier that the CCI isn't that close to DL. Huh? It's a less than five minute walk. I thought it was easier to walk from the CCI than from DL hotel because of the Downtown Disney foot traffic.

My son (13) likes the DL hotel because it's right next to the ESPN Zone - and that's what vacation is all about!!

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 10:30 AM
"Someone posted earlier that the CCI isn't that close to DL. Huh? It's a less than five minute walk"

I think that what they were referring to is the fact that it's located directly across the street like many of the other hotels are. There are quite a few of nice. clean hotels directly across the street that are a much quicker walk. These are the one's we tend to stay at since we have kids ages 4.5, 8.5 and 12 with us and it's easy for everyone at the end of the night to just walk across the street!

scaeagles
03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
We've always stayed at the Park Inn International - easy walking distance (right next to the Carousel Inn), large rooms, and we've gotten suites that sleep 8 for $109. Of course, we're going to try the GC this summer (late Juy) and wil probably never be satisfiedstaying off site again.

dsnylndmom
03-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Scaeagles, what is the Park Inn like? We've stayed at Carousel, Desert, Castle, Fairfield, Desert Palm, Penny Sleeper and another I can't remember the name, but we've never tried the Park Inn. We've stayed at DL Hotel & PP also but like staying cheapy and then having more $ to spend at the park! LOL

We're staying at Park Place Inn this time in a suite for $107, thought that was dang good for Spring Break! I like the idea of being right there at the crosswalk! LOL

We probably won't get to stay at the GC until the 50th anniversary :crying: Oh well gives us something to look forward to!

scaeagles
03-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Personally, I think it's the best deal around, all things considered. Absolutely huge rooms, and once they upgraded us to a suite on an upper floor facing the park. Had a balconey and a perfect view of fireworks. That free upgrade....we were there once when they were doing all sorts of work on I-5 and hit a water main and also blew the power grid. Had no water and no electricity for 24 hours at our hotel! Anyone remember that outage? Even half of DL was without power and they cancelled the Mulan parade (wow - that was a long time ago). Anyway, even though it wasn't their fault they were happy we returned. Bathrooms are a bit undersized, and a 2 room suite has only one bath, but for the price and location it can't be beat.

Toady The Eighth
03-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Good Luck getting a reservation at the Candy Cane for April 11th. They sell out quickly, even during off season, and that's one of the busiest times of the year... If you can't get them, I'd reccommend the Westcoast, or, if you want to be closer try the Park Inn International.

°o° Shannon

julia
03-25-2003, 01:51 PM
If you are interested in the Candy Cane, do call and see if there are any last-minute cancellations - lots of people are deciding to stay closer to home with the war in Iraq and you might find some space for April 11. All of the usual rules for hotels and packages often change or become more flexible when there are incidents like September 11 or a war in Iraq.

The Candy Cane Inn seems to be very popular, lots of people return time after time - it is almost always busy and it has such a great location, just 250 yards from the entrance to Disneyland. There is an excellent daily deluxe breakfast every day. The service is great and the people are very nice. It is a good, solid, reliable choice.

The Disneyland Hotel is the classic Disney hotel! I like it because I get to stay in the Disney magic 24 hours per day. It is family-friendly, great pool, Goofy's Kitchen is a superb character meal. It also finished a multi-million dollar remodel last year and the rooms are just beautiful with a darling classic Disney theme.

I don't think that you can really go wrong with either choice - you might also try the Anaheim Fairfield Inn, which is adjacent to the Candy Cane Inn. The Hilton Garden Inn, which is a block or so away and has a shuttle service. The Embassy Suites Anaheim South offers a shuttle service, too.

Have a magical day!

Christiii
03-25-2003, 02:18 PM
thanks for all the info!! you guys are great!! Ive got the Candy Cane booked fo The 11th and 12th at $92.00 a nite, and the Disneyland Hotel for the 13th & 14th at $109.00. I love the DL hotel, but Im saving almost $80 PER nite for the 11th and 12th, one they add on their taxes and park taxes the rooms come out to $182 for Fri and Sat..(the rate they quote is $159 before all the taxes). Im looking forward to finding an alternative to the DL hotel....I sure hope this works out..the big selling point was the down comforters, free breakfast and the PRIVATE shuttle...I would hate to be so close to the park, and then have to drive around to all the other hotels on a shuttle!! I know its a close walk, but after 12 hours walking..I love to colapse on the monorail or a shuttle..some places are even charging for a shuttle now...Yeeeps!!!:confused:

Christiii
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
just got my conformation for both hotels..I am sure excited!!! Anyone have any more advice?? Im kind of gettingdisappointed about hearing the reviews on Pooh...shoot..I really hope its better than superstar limo..shhesh!!

dsnylndmom
03-27-2003, 05:00 PM
I have my confirmation for the Park Place Inn for the same time period that you are going to be there, love that feeling!

Reviews of Pooh are disappointing but neither of my boys are big Pooh fans so at least they won't be disappointed! My younger son is loving the idea of seeing Playhouse Disney though!

Are you going to Knott's too or just Disney? Are you driving?

We are just a hop away from you in Stockton btw!

Christiii
03-27-2003, 05:05 PM
wow!1 I cant believe you are in Stockton!! Hi neighbor!! my horses are in Stockton :-), only about 20 minutes from here...Yep..we are driving..Im working in Pomona for the week, and I drive down on Tuesday..then my mom flys out on Friday and we drive home together so I dont have to drive home alone..moms are great!! She is as big a Disney fan as I am!! This way I get paid milage from my office too..so that should just about pay for renewing my annual pass :-). so since you are from Stockton..you must know about the italian charms..right?/ well the Disneyland jewelry store has realllly cute disney charms for...drum roll...$3.00 each!!! I load up every time Im there..they just started carrying them around Christmas time...even if you dont have a bracelet..Ill bet you know some one who does..my friends are so thrilled whrn I bring them home!!

Christiii
03-27-2003, 05:07 PM
p.s. nope..just a Disney girl...went to Universla once..and hated it..it seemed really crowded with gang like people and dirty...Id like to maybe try Knotts sometime, but I never want to leave Disneyland..haha!! Im happy even just sitting and watching people...its such a happy, relaxing place..especially on the porch on mainstreet!!

dsnylndmom
03-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Christi, I have one entire bracelet of those $3 charms! LOL I got my name and all of the characters/princess's they had in(not a pooh fan) I'm hoping they have some new one's this time! ;)

Also I am going to get a few for both of my boy's bracelets, to put in plastic eggs for their Easter Baskets!

We go at least once a year, we just went in November for my son's 4th birthday. We are doing the AP debate this trip, it seems my dh may be working down there off and on so it would be worth it for sure!

It's amazing how many other disneyland addict's you can find on these boards that are so close to home! LOL I know at Laughing place they are even having a Meet right near us in either Pleasanton or Concord!

dsnylndmom
03-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Oh and you have to give Knott's a try, even if it's just for a Mrs. Knott's Dinner! YUM;)