PDA

View Full Version : News: Disneyland hotel workers walk off jobs in protest

daveywest
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_15278057

The Associated Press
Updated: 06/11/2010 01:05:01 PM MDT

ANAHEIM, Calif. » Dozens of Disneyland hotel workers walked off their jobs Friday, the same day the resort premiered its multimillion dollar World of Color attraction.

Members of the union Unite Here walked out of the Disneyland, Grand Californian and Paradise Pier hotels to picket and block traffic along the street that leads into the amusement park.

Disney and the hotel workers have been involved in a contract dispute for two years. Hotel employees have staged periodic protests.

Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown calls it another publicity stunt.

The World of Color, a water spectacle at the California Adventure theme park, was expected to draw extra crowds to the park Friday.

More here from the OC Register: http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2010/06/11/disney-workers-walk-off-jobs/47089/

sjhanksaz
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
You gatta love the unions

Sarcasm

AnaheimPark
06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
You gatta love the unions

Sarcasm

I wouldn't talk down the unions unless you have ever been a part of one. They are powerful beings when they don't get what they want.

EeyoreAdorer
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
We stayed at the GCH from 6/11 - 6/16 and this strike didn't affect the level of service that we received during our stay at all :). For the most part, the striking employees kept to themselves and didn't bother the guests.

However, they were picketing in front of the Paradise Pier Hotel, so I can't speak to that.

sjhanksaz
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't talk down the unions unless you have ever been a part of one. They are powerful beings when they don't get what they want.

I think Unions can be a valuable and usefull tool. I also think sometimes they can become more self serving and work for thier own good rather than those who they are supposed to watch out for.

This is my personal thoughts. Don't hate me

Bytebear
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
In an economy with 20% unemployment, it seems to me a very selfish group of people.

torquedork
06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
In an economy with 20% unemployment, it seems to me a very selfish group of people.

I agree because they should be thankful that they've still have a job and so many people who would jump at the opportunity to get off unemployment and start working once again.