PDA

View Full Version : Airport Bus or SuperShuttle

msr709
03-21-2003, 08:29 AM
I will be going to DL (for the first time) with my SIL July 30 to Aug. 4 and was wondering which is the preferred mode of transportation to and from SNA. I will be staying at HoJo. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am used to taking a towncar from and to the airport but it appears the preferred mode of transportation are these two, I just would like to know which would be better for two adults only, no children. TIA;)

mad4mky
03-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Heck...when we fly down to Orange County. We just take a cab. It's not much more expensive than the shuttles....and you ride in more comfort, and go directly to your location. No other stops on the way...
Saves much time in the long run.

For a few more bucks...and to save time. Take a cab. It's not that far from the airport to the DLR area...:)

MammaSilva
03-21-2003, 08:45 AM
I vote for the cab as well, when Brandy and I were flying into SNA I just paid the upgrade for a cab, it wasn't much more money and it was a LOT easier....

chelbell
03-21-2003, 12:17 PM
So how much would it be for one of those mini-van cabs from John Wayne to the Disneyland Hotel? Since there are 6 of us, it's going to cost us $60.00 each way....would it be less than that for a cab????:confused:

chelbell
03-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Sorry, I should have specified that it is going to cost us $60.00 each way for the Super Shuttle.... :)

mad4mky
03-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by chelbell
Sorry, I should have specified that it is going to cost us $60.00 each way for the Super Shuttle.... :)

So...you mean it is going to cost you $120!!

If you get a minivan cab...It will probably cost you $35 (give or take a few dollars) to get to DLR area...and the same back. They don't charge more because it is a minivan.
When you get to the airport...go to the taxi area. You'll wait in line, and a cab director will be there. He/she will obviously see there are six of you, and hail in a minivan.
At least that is how it has worked for me in the past at this airport, as well as several other airports. Holey moley...you should have seen the stuff we had when I took my daughter back to school. I didn't have to pay more for a minivan...but we sure needed one (well, we needed a semi truck...)!
But, that's about $50 savings, give or take a few bucks. I think its well worth it to go with a cab...
:)

chelbell
03-21-2003, 12:43 PM
mad4mky....WOW....you just made my day! Yes, Super Shuttle is $20 per person round trip....so we were looking at $120. Definately going with the cab now. I love this website!!!:D

Berry Princess
03-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I can tell you right now to NEVER EVER take Super Shuttle (or as I call them Scary Shuttle). They are HORRIBLE drivers! I know from experience. I used to work for Prime Time Shuttle but would never take them either. They are better drivers then the other but not much better when it comes to night ones. I would take a cab as others have said or find one of those towncar services. The towncar ones are nice and they charge 1 fee for up to like 6 people I think it is..or depending on the service I would guess. But I have done the towncar and it was WAY nicer then the shuttles or any cab I have ever used and much cheaper.

Sonya in Boise
03-22-2003, 10:56 AM
If you get a cab make sure to ask for a FLAT RATE, that way both of you know the price you are going to pay. I believe the rate should be about 35.00 from SNA to Disneyland area.

We used Airport bus from LAX a few weeks ago and it was fine. You might want to e-mail airport bus (go to www.airportbus.com ) and ask them what times they pick up from SNA or if you need an appointment.

At LAX they pick up every hour on the hour from the Southwest terminal. I knew this before we traveled, but the family waiting there did not. Our flight got in at 1:30pm so we had a short wait till the 2pm bus, their flight came in at 1:05pm and they were standing there the entire hour watching for the bus. They did not know it was a once an hour thing. So they weren't very happy to be standing on the curb w/ their two children for an hour.

Airport bus picks you up from the airport then takes you to the processing center on Harbor. I believe it is just a few steps away from the HoJo's so after paying for your ride, you get off and carry your luggage thru the parking lot (a few steps) to the hojo's (if I'm remembering correctly) If I'm wrong and it's not in the HoJo's parking area you would be one of the first off the bus. Our driver dropped off the folks on the other side of the freeway first and we drove past the HoJo's first.

We didn't have any problems w/ the service. The drivers were friendly and nice, they loaded our luggage and unloaded it for us. I tipped our return driver before getting on the bus and he was very nice on the drive to the airport and quickly unloaded our luggage and placed it nicely on the curb while I was rounding up the kids. :D

DLFan
03-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi! I am new, but have learned a great deal from here. Thanks everyone. I was wondering how much a mini van cab would be from LAX to DLH. Has anyone taken one? I am from Canada and was told from a travel agent here that a shuttle van would cost the six of us $115 (Canandian) one way, which would be approximately $76.00 US. That seemed kind of expensive to me. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sonya in Boise
03-22-2003, 10:08 PM
we just traveled from LAX to the Anaheim area and I priced these things out. All prices are US dollars

I called the cab companies and they quoted me about $65.00 for travel from LAX to the Anahiem area each way.

Airport bus ( www.airportbus.com ) is $25.00 per adult round trip and $16.00 per child (3-11) round trip

Supershuttle ( www.supershuttle.com ) was more than that. I had emailed them and asked for a price quote and they were almost double Airport bus

Town cars (private cars with drivers) were around $110.00 each way.

DLFan
03-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Thank you so much Sonya in Boise for the information. I really appreciate it. We are looking forward to our trip!

Toady The Eighth
03-24-2003, 03:36 PM
I far prefer Supershuttle to Airport bus, as I find it to be much more convenient. As a travel agent, it is the transportation mode I reccommend to all of my clients who are not renting a car. True, some of the drivers are scary. :eek: But you'll find that with cab drivers too.

Hope that helps!

°o°Shannon

Berry Princess
03-25-2003, 07:01 AM
True, some of the drivers are scary. But you'll find that with cab drivers too.

I have never had cab drivers like the ones from Super. I know cab drivers aren't always great but I would rather go that way then any other way if I had to pick between the 2. I just know I have never had a cab driver falling asleep while driving and with Super they were at night and had no clue how to get to Disneyland or get back to the freeway when we left that night. It was sad.

Toady The Eighth
03-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Hmmm. Well I have :confused: Never had a Supershuttle driver fall asleep at the wheel. I'd be pretty uncomfortable making the stereotype that all Supershuttle drivers are scarier :eek: than all cab drivers. I'd say from my (many)experiences that they are about equal. And as a travel agent I have been all over the place.

°o° Shannon

Toady The Eighth
03-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Also, if you had a Supershuttle Driver who didn't know how to get to Disneyland, or how to get on the freeway, he must have been a new employee. Because those guys drive those routes day after day after day.

julia
03-25-2003, 01:36 PM
The Airport Bus only leaves the airports once every hour, whereas the Super Shuttles leave every 10 minutes or so. With the AirportBus, it also may stop and you might have to transfer to another bus to get to your hotel, which can be time-consuming. At the very least, you may not get a quick turnaround at the transfer station, even if you don't have to change the bus. The AirportBus is less expensive, but the Super Shuttle is a bit faster, too. I think that you will probably find as many opinions for and against both services. A taxi is a good option and I often take a towncar service because I get help with the luggage, a non-stop trip and an driver waiting for me at baggage claim. That service is really nice after a long day on crowded flights and an early start to the day.

Have a magical day!

DLFan
03-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Julia!

Could you recommend a town car service and do you have an approximate cost from LAX to the DLH?

Thank you.