PDA

View Full Version : Florida resident question

Leslie
06-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I have the opportunity to move with my cousin and her husband to Englewood Florida from Michigan to help take care of my Aunt who has Dementia. So I was wondering if someone can tell me how long you have to physically live if Florida and if you need a Florida address on a license to prove that to be able to get all the Disneys Florida residents discounts. Or what exactly the rules are for that. I most likely will be going back and forth to Michigan but will spend most of the time in Florida. Thanks..:fez:

jengold29
06-07-2010, 03:48 AM
I believe you need 2 proofs of residence to get a FL drivers liscence (and remember you'd have to turn in your MI one).

You can use a mortgage or lease, utility bills, voter registration card, car insurance card, etc.

this site http://www.gathergoget.com/ has all the requirements.

stan4d_steph
06-07-2010, 05:09 AM
I would imagine the requirements are similar to Disneyland; if your license does not reflect Florida residency, you would need to produce a utility bill with your name and FL address on it in addition to a current, government-issued photo ID.

GusMan
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I think the main question is - are you going to declare that you are a FL resident and consider your home in MI a secondary place of residence? If you are not prepared to do that, you might want to just buy a regular, non-FL resident AP, and let it be.

Just from doing some brief lookups, the discounts are pretty good for things like AP's and seasonal AP's which include blackout dates. However, if you are not going to consider yourself a FL resident full-time for an extended period of time, Im not sure its really going to be worth the hassle just to save a hundred bucks or so. And if you are looking for room discounts, they are just like any discount - they come out at certain times, for certain times, and have availability restrictions.

Not to mention that you are moving down there will for a purpose and who knows if you are going to have enough time to reap the benefits of being only a couple hours away. Im sure you know that your family comes first, and sometimes it will be good to "get away" for a while, but it is something to consider.

Leslie
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Yes I will need a get away from caring for a Dementia patient. My thought is to stay for x amount of months and go to Michigan for respite. So I think I would be in Florida 6 months out of the year off and on. Now is the AP rate for anyone no matter where you live? If I only save a 100.00 or so bucks than your right not a good move. Does that mean if I but 1 year ahead of time I can go anytime of year for 1 price? And do they just make you up a card that looks like a credit card that you swipe any day and any park of the year?

GusMan
06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
You can get a regular AP regardless of where you live and it is good for 365 days from when it is first used. You get a regular paper-style ticket that will have your name printed on the back. (No, it is not like the regular room keys that MYW tickets are associated with in a package deal.)

cstephens
06-07-2010, 11:05 AM
So I was wondering if someone can tell me how long you have to physically live if Florida and if you need a Florida address on a license to prove that to be able to get all the Disneys Florida residents discounts.

From the WDW website:

Proof of Florida Residency

Proof of a Florida residential address is required. For each adult ticket purchased, you may provide any of the following:

Florida driver′s license

Florida state-issued ID card (must have Florida address)

A college ID for a Florida college

Florida-based military ID

If you do not have one of the IDs indicated in the above, then for each adult ticket purchased you must provide any of the following dated within the last two months and evidencing a Florida residential address together with a corresponding picture ID
(passport, driver's license,
state identification card):

Monthly mortgage statement

Florida vehicle registration or title

Homeowner's insurance policy or bill

Automobile insurance policy or bill

Utility bill

Mail from financial institution including checking, savings or investment account statement

Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agency

mom22gls
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
You can get a regular AP regardless of where you live and it is good for 365 days from when it is first used. You get a regular paper-style ticket that will have your name printed on the back. (No, it is not like the regular room keys that MYW tickets are associated with in a package deal.)

If you AP is lost or damaged, it's easy to get a replacement, and, after you have used it once, it isn't any good to anyone else. From your description of the situation, it sounds like you won't actually have utilities, etc. in your name. Just get the regular AP.

Leslie
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, I think I would probably be getting the AP pass. At the first use do I have to put my finger on the ticket thing and will I have to do it everytime or just the once? Where can I buy a AP? And is there only a certain time of year you can buy tickets such on January 1st?

jerseygirl407
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
You can buy an AP at any time and it's good for a year from the date of purchase (I know this past renewal we got an extra 3 months for free but I think that was only on renewals). And, yes it'll ask for your fingerprint -- sometimes at park opening they seem to skip this but for some reason I ALWAYS get fingerprinted - I'm starting to think it's cause I have a FL resident pass -- maybe they think I'll try and pass it off?

Honestly, was at Epcot last week for opening and they let 10 people in line in front of me in w/o fingerprinting but i got the blue light!

Anyhoo - if you're going to be down here it definitely makes sense to get a resident pass. Last year I used mine so much I think we figured out it cost about $9/visit - not bad, eh?

mom22gls
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, I think I would probably be getting the AP pass. At the first use do I have to put my finger on the ticket thing and will I have to do it everytime or just the once? Where can I buy a AP? And is there only a certain time of year you can buy tickets such on January 1st?

You can purchase an AP at Guest Services at any park, or at Downtown Disney. The pass is good for one year, from the date of purchase, and you can purchase it anytime. You use it like any other pass, and it uses the biometric system.

Leslie
06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
$9.oo a visit?? No way. That is so awesome. Where can I find out what the annual AP cost? Is there only 1 price and no discounted sites to check on. Im getting so excited to even think I might live there if only for 6 months. Someone day maybe forever.

GusMan
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Here is a link (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets-passes/)to the Disney ticket page. Unless you are a DVC member, or renewing, there are no real discounts that I know of.

In short, a person can "break even" buying an AP vs a MYW ticket with hopper and no expire option if they go to the parks for around 9 days. The break even point is even less if you get a room discount or take advantage of other discounts. (PS- only one person in your party would need an AP to get an AP room rate...)

If you think that you might not be able to get up there for that many days/nights within the 6 months that you will be there, you might just want to consider a 10 day MYW hopper with no expire added. Its a few bucks more, but then you can use it beyond the one year.

And yes, you are subject to the same biometric fingerprint verification as any other ticket holder.

texasgal
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
We got my hubby an AP for our trip so we could get a great room rate and the Tables in Wonderland card. It worked out well. Also, we got a lot of good discounts on purchases. I had read through the list of discounts on line and thought I knew them all, but either I wasn't thorough, or there were some non publicized discounts. It got to where we just asked everywhere if there were AP discounts.

You can get the info on prices right here on Mouse Planet. If you go to the Walt Disney World section, it has them listed. I can't remember now the exact prices, but we were thinking of upgrading our 10 day passes for the rest of us, and I think it was about 200 more per person - I'm not sure. He just got the AP that doesn't have DisneyQuest or the Water parks. The AP did have discounts to those places though.

I think one thing to think about is how many times do you think you will go, and especially how long will each visit be. Because the shorter passes - 1 and 2 and 3 day are much more expensive per day than the longer passes. So a few short visits buying your tickets each time could add up pretty quickly, especially if you have the park hopper option on them.

There was also some option to get the 10 day pass with a non-expiration option. So it wasn't just one year - if you were going to go 10 or fewer days total, that might be an option. Though I didn't price it out and I don't know if it is a good deal. However, if you ended up having less time at the parks than you thought, then rather than it being over in a year, you could use it for your next trip - whenever that is.

If it were me - I'd make a spread sheet with your estimated number and length of visits and the cost of all your options.