PDA

View Full Version : Same views about Tomorrowland

Subsonic
03-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Everytime I go to Disneyland my friends are sick of me complaining about how I don't like the new Tomorrowland and how little they spent on the entire project.

When I used to work at Disneyland, through the castmember grapevine, I heard that ALL of Tomorrowland cost 99 million dollars. This is pathetic compared to the fact that Indy cost 104 Million. I would assume that a single attration shouldn't cost more then an entire land.

The 'Verne' look worries me. This is what goes through my head; Since Tomorrowland is based on what the people from the 1860's thought the future might look like then Disney can use this as an excuse to never change the look of it. It might just be this way for a long, long time.

I'm with Merlin Jones. Ultra Modern all the way. At least WDW Tomorrowland is made with cool lights and Metal Objects. Not just paint.

I could go on and on with bad stuff about the 'new' Tomorrowland. I'm sure you all have heard it before.

I've been reading posts about Tomorrowland. I just needed to vent to people who have the same views as me.

Thank you for your time :)

-Adam

merlinjones
03-20-2003, 04:52 AM
So speak the citizens of Tomorrowland, a World on the Move...

We want the real, cool thing back!

03-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Correct paint color: white

Correct Tomorrowland vibe: optimism

YellowMan
03-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 3894
Correct paint color: white Where does it say that everything in the future is white?

And for another matter, where does it say that all people in the future wear the same thing? I think the decision just get made. "All right everyone, from now on it's just gonna be the one piece silver suit with the V-stripe and the boots. That's the outfit. We're going to be visiting other planets, we want to look like a team here. The individuality thing is over."

Of course that second part was just a Jerry Seinfeld joke, but I'm serious about the white color. Frankly, I like the direction they were heading with the new colors in Tomorrowland, but I don't think they did it quite right. As Subsonic said, there's much more to making the area futuristic than just painting it a certain way. I think Tomorrowland needs more futuristic looking stuff (even if it's just for theme like the Orbitron above the old Rocket Rods station). More metal, more lights, more future is what it needs.

Tref
03-20-2003, 03:23 PM
The color of To-morrowland makes little difference to me. Whatever color it is now is fine. My problem is in the design. I think if they want to go with the Jules Verne theme, then they should go all the way. As it is TL doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Somebody at MP (maybe you) once proposed connecting Main Street with Space Mountain (as Edison Square) to further the concept of a to-morrowland from one hundred years ago. I loved the idea then. I love the idea now.

WDW's metalic To-morrow land is overrated. I wasn't impressed with the design at all. It looked cheap; resembling less the
dynamic future and more of a junior college built in the early eighties or the type of office building one finds on streets called, Industrial Park Ln. Dig?

I.r.

innerSpaceman
03-20-2003, 04:16 PM
I miss the old white Tomorrowland, but that's just it - it's the OLD white Tomorrowland. White Future is a very retro idea. It's gonna take more than a return to white to make Tomorrowland look as futuristic as it originally did when it was first painted white.

03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
It's gonna take more than a return to white to make Tomorrowland look as futuristic as it originally did when it was first painted white.

Exactly. We need a busy, forward-looking world. The white was only part of it. Movement was the other part: subs moving in the water, Monorail, PeopleMover and SkyWay moving overhead. It was like the illustration on a Uncle Milton's Ant Farm box: everyone was busy, busy, busy in the world of tomorrow.

Disneyland's Tomorrowland should be about bright, happy, shiny people looking to a bright, happy, shiny future. Forget reality. This is Disneyland.

The current colors don't work - too brooding and melancholy and, well, ugly. White is still an optimistic color.

Now we have to work on getting back the movement.

Tigertail777
03-20-2003, 04:46 PM
some of the most futuristic (and realitically doable) stuff I have seen is from Back to the Future 2... they should take some design cues from that. Standing lone minding your own business when a giant holographic Jaws swallows you up... now thats fururistic... plus love the 80's cafe, futuristic and nostalgic all at once.. thats how all of Tomorrowland should be. the theme could be that Tomorrowland is a musuem of futuristic things transportation etc... that goes up from our time to a future year (something fairly far in the future.. like 2095) all of tomorrowland is a display of all of our past attempts at new technology... some of it quite old (our time) some of it farther in the future and closer to "present day" (2095). You could even go farther back and have the 1800's steam punk looking stuff like the DLP type Space Mtn. This way the theme cannot really age much.

Subsonic
03-20-2003, 04:55 PM
I would take the white over the current look anydays. But, yes, the 'white' look is very 2001 Space Odyssey. DLP's verne look is nice. It doesn't look like it came from the bargin bin.
In My opinion though, it's not how I would assume the future to look. Good examples of what I think the future would look like are from movies. Minority Report and The 6th Day are some examples. Holograms all over the place =)

I always wonder to myself, "I'll bet Tomorrowland would look awesome if Walt was still alive."

-Adam

Addendum: As tigertail says, "Back to the Future 2". Wonderful example.

merlinjones
03-20-2003, 07:42 PM
How is an 1890's version of the future more relevant than a 1960's version of the future?

merlinjones
03-20-2003, 07:42 PM
In the case of Tomorrowland: White is right! Brown goes down! Rust is a bust! Gold grows mold!

Tigertail777
03-21-2003, 12:59 AM
well on the practical side... white paint is damn cheap like the cheapest paint you can buy. Gold paint is not only expensive, it doesnt last long, it breaks down pretty fast so would need lots of repainting. Brown paint wouldnt be too bad if it didnt have white primer under it, the minute the brown gets a chip or scrape deep enough it reveals the primer under it (primer can also be gray but I have never seen brown primer yet). Really if they were going to go with gold they should have used real metal panels that were gold color. But what would have looked really cool is if they used white plastic panels with silver glitter in them. and maybe have every other seam on space mountain have actual huge silver holograms of space related things and then cover the holograms with see thru plexiglass for protection. Holograms on buildings would be really cool! They could make a huge 3d hologram of the old mary blair mural and that would merge futuristic with nostalgia. it would be cool to have holograms on the ground too but not sure how you could handle that.

cujosr
03-21-2003, 01:05 AM
Gunship Grey is where the future seems to going now.

Hockey Man
03-21-2003, 05:12 AM
Well, I think that shiny white and metallics look very futuristic -- kind of like those Alienware computers. Plus, those buildings seem to be more designed for whites. Tomorrowland should also be more about future here on earth, rather than WDW's which is more like somewhere in space, or our current one which is God-knows-where!

Whites, metals, and clears are the way to go! :cool:

wdtv
03-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Once the submarines return -- rather, if; it's too early to even know -- and if we get those new proposed attractions, I think Tomorrowland will retain more of its character.
IMO, the sign that advertises other lands in the kingdom (Near Autopia) was a very smart addition by WDI; it adds more character and a very futuristic feel to the land. What Tomorrowland currently needs, I think, are more details like this.
When I saw that sign while waiting for Autopia, I actually got a little chilled. I think it adds so much to the entire atmosphere of Tomorrowland, and just something that Walt might have loved in this area: advertising the various "time periods" within Disneyland.