PDA

View Full Version : Glow Fest Joins the Summer Nightastic! Line-Up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MousePlanet AutoPoster
06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Last month we shared details of the popular shows and after-dark entertainment that are returning for Summer Nightastic! Today, we have more exciting news. A new, high-energy experience called Glow Fest joins that line-up to light up summer nights at Disney California Adventure park.

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DisneyParks/~3/Dzz0yxueq-o/)

AVP
06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Here's the concept art Disney released today. What do you think?

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/hgf159169LARGE.jpg

MammaSilva
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm going to be seriously annoyed if I have to avoid that entire section of the park due to light effects that could trigger seizures and I'll be the first one in line at Guest relations to express my opinion if that turns out to be the case. We spend a great deal of time avoiding ODV carts for her safety but it's doable in short stretches but to have the entire area turn into a trigger...not cool Disney.

olegc
06-01-2010, 03:49 PM
well, you won't be able to avoid it too much - apparently this is designed to keep you busy while they shut down parts of paradise pier in preparation for World of Color. I guess doing something like this and a DJ is a lot cheaper than coming up with real entertainment. And, of course, it's young and hip - just how Mr Iger likes it.

I think it will be popular just as much as Videopolis was - mostly with the young teen crowd. Except now there will be alcohol sold right there. All they need to do is drop some acid and the full experience is set (sorry for the negative drug reference but the colors and push for this rave-based view seems to be leaning toward that). That also means stepped up plain clothes security too.

It will be interesting to see the long term success. In the short run it will be popular. I just think they forgot a little bit of the "family" domographic here. It's just an opinion...

CADisneyGirl
06-01-2010, 04:05 PM
The new feature does look really cool :D and I try to avoid the park during the summer but maybe this summer I will have to go just to see it.

To MammaSilva - I'm sorry for your family members disorder :(, my brother suffers from severe seizures, but if you know that this can trigger the seizures then the thing that you would have to do, unfortunately, is to avoid that section of the park at that time of day. You would have at least 6 hours or so when you could go to that part of the park so it's not like you have to avoid the park all day just for a portion of the day. If you feel that you need to voice your concerns to Guest Services because of it, then that's your choice. If I had a condition that I knew certain things would trigger a reaction then I would certainly avoid it just for my health and safety. I hope you continue to enjoy DL even with this possible inconvenience.

THpoohbear
06-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Whoa. That is way. too. bright. Yuck! What ARE they thinking? :eyeroll:

CADisneyGirl - if I were MammaSilva and had to start avoiding that entire section of the park after dark I would be seriously ticked. Disney strives to create an experience that can be enjoyed by the whole family, regardless of medical and/or mental capabilities. I think they are missing the mark with this.

MammaSilva
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Considering two of my family love two of the attractions in that section I'm not going to be happy if they've turned it into a rave like enviornment. Telling me that I can enjoy it during the day doesn't make this 'ok'.

houseofmouse
06-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds more like a holding pen thing to me. Keep 'em in one spot type thing until WOC shows start.
Personally for me it sounds obnoxious and likely to be super crowded. My kids however may think it 's cool.

DwarfPlanet
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
The concept art looks way over the top to be enjoyable. I'm wondering/hoping it will be more along the lines of the Halloween overlay colored lights they do along Main Street.

BVKMM
06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
IMHO, the concept reminds me of cosmic bowling where you really don't notice things until the house lights go out an the black lights come on. The seizure health concerns not withstanding, I think a lot of children in general are "afraid" of strobe lights I just don't see Disney doing them on a grand scale.

kfreak
06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
As someone who has not only done production, but also marketing for Raves I will be the first to say this is a bad idea. At the raves that I have helped with we had security checking people for drugs to try and keep them out. Disney does not do this, and this could lead to some very bad things. I say that they should just stop this Glow Fest idea, and just do some nice music without all the lighting. If you play good music then everyone will be happy, not just kids on drugs.

spectromen
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Considering recent trends at the Parks, I'd say almost all of this colorwash is going to be accomplished with LEDs, which shouldn't cause too many reactions that strobe lights tend to.

AVP
06-05-2010, 09:10 PM
One of the features of Glow Fest will be a performance of a Disney "mashup" created by graphic artist Pogo. If you don't know his work (and I'll admit I didn't until this week), here's the mashup he did from UP. This guy is AMAZING. The mashup he created for Glow Fest will be displayed on plasma screens throughout the Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

JVxe5NIABsI

MaraMouse
06-06-2010, 03:03 AM
That was amazing!! My favorite is definitely the UPular, this get's me excited for Glow Fest, I can't wait to see what he came up for that event, thanks for sharing that!! I watched it twice:D

Alex S.
06-06-2010, 06:24 AM
here's the mashup he did from UP. This guy is AMAZING.

Wow, that was amazingly annoying. It would have been pleasant with the sound turned off though.

kfreak
06-06-2010, 08:42 AM
AVP, I am sorry, but this POGO person is not that good. Maybe the work that POGO did on the video aspect was good, but the music was not. It was some kind of weird mix between Electro, and Pop. This music will however increase drug use at the parks. I think this idea is horrible. Disney is not setup correctly to handle the kind of situation that this can create. And for people who will say that they will increase plain clothed Security, and that will help with the drugs it wont. I know a few days out of the year that people are at Disney, and doing many drugs, and Disney knows they are there, and does nothing. I do not attend these events as I dont agree with them. Again though I believe this to be a very bad idea.

leota's necklace
06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
This music will however increase drug use at the parks.

Amazing.

I wonder if they can come up with music that will shorten the line at Splash Mountain AND make a corndog magically appear in my hand whenever I want one.

I think the horrified responses to the event are overblown. I really doubt the Hollywood backlot is going to turn into Burning Man or a rave den, or that Disney is going to use effects that set off waves of seizures or otherwise cause negative physical effects.

As for the assertion that this event alone will inspire drug use at the Park -- come on. The place is loaded with five-foot mice and neon. People have been doing at the Parks for years. [I]Fantasmic inspired a friend of mine to hop himself on uppers, drive all night to get to the Park, drop a ton of acid to watch the show and then medicate himself to drive home (not condoning the behavior, just putting it out there) and that was over fifteen years ago. The thought that turning on some blacklights and pumping up some techno will make granny from Ypsilanti break out the candy necklaces, or better yet, cause turf wars between roving bands of ravers, is ridiculous.

Disney will handle it the way they always do. If you get caught acting like an idiot, your butt lands on the other side of the berm.

kfreak
06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Amazing.

I wonder if they can come up with music that will shorten the line at Splash Mountain AND make a corndog magically appear in my hand whenever I want one.

I think the horrified responses to the event are overblown. I really doubt the Hollywood backlot is going to turn into Burning Man or a rave den, or that Disney is going to use effects that set off waves of seizures or otherwise cause negative physical effects.

As for the assertion that this event alone will inspire drug use at the Park -- come on. The place is loaded with five-foot mice and neon. People have been doing at the Parks for years. [I]Fantasmic inspired a friend of mine to hop himself on uppers, drive all night to get to the Park, drop a ton of acid to watch the show and then medicate himself to drive home (not condoning the behavior, just putting it out there) and that was over fifteen years ago. The thought that turning on some blacklights and pumping up some techno will make granny from Ypsilanti break out the candy necklaces, or better yet, cause turf wars between roving bands of ravers, is ridiculous.

Disney will handle it the way they always do. If you get caught acting like an idiot, your butt lands on the other side of the berm.

I am not saying that this event will turn into a rave. I am just saying that this will increase the drug use in the park. We all know that drugs are done at Disney, but not the amount that are done a few certain days of the year. This type of atmosphere will draw that kind of crowd into the park. It is just a fact. Also Disney's Security is ill-equipped to deal with that sort of thing. They aren't really taught what to look for, nor the physiological effects that they have on the body. I am not trying to be mean, just to state what can happen. I personally dont want a bunch of drugged up kids at Disney when I am trying to enjoy a nice evening with my Fiancee.

leota's necklace
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
This type of atmosphere will draw that kind of crowd into the park. It is just a fact.

I'd love it if you could explain that fact. The "atmosphere" in question, reading the press release, will include drums, colored lights, dancers, and probably a blacklit stage:

"As the sun goes down, colors burst to life and music starts to play from a brightly-lit stage that seems to glow. Dancers and world music performers create a fun vibe that you will only find at Disney California Adventure park."

I don't understand how world music performers are going to make a bunch of teens want to take a bunch of E and hang out in Sunshine Plaza, or what have you.

I personally dont want a bunch of drugged up kids at Disney when I am trying to enjoy a nice evening with my Fiancee.

I don't really understand what you're afraid of. I maintain that if anyone acts more idiotic or annoying than a run-of-the-mill group of teens might any other evening in the Park, or puts anyone in danger, themselves included, they will be removed. I'm trying to figure out what sort of behavior you're expecting, and all I can imagine is some sort of Reefer Madness-esque freakout.

MaraMouse
06-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Also Disney's Security is ill-equipped to deal with that sort of thing. They aren't really taught what to look for, nor the physiological effects that they have on the body.

I'm just curious, but how do you know this?

All I know is that I personally have never witnessed a drunk or high person disturbing the Disney peace, and I've been to the halloween parties, new year's eve dance parties at both DLR and WDW, (times there might be a higher chance of these things happening) these parties blast music through sections of the park and it turns into club disney but I have never seen anything. I did although once see a dance-off at Magic Kingdom in Tomorrowland while passing by on the transit authority. If things did occur, then security must have been doing a good job of taking care of the matter inconspicuously.

houseofmouse
06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Sorry Kfreak, I really am but I think you are over reacting. As a person who used to have a blast at Videopolis all the time, I personally never saw high kids or witnessed any fighting. I am sure it was there but not prevalent enough to cause a problem. Tomorrowland Terrace in the summer has their big and loud music going on with a lot of teens dancing and having fun, never seen an issue there either.

For me the issue is crowds and noise. We will check it out though because like I said before my kids will think it's cool.

This does not amount to a rave in any way.

kfreak
06-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Everyone who wants to attack what I am saying that is fine. I am speaking from a point of view of someone who helps to throw Rave type events. We have the security in place to try and stop the flow of illegal substances from coming in. Disney does not do this. With the increase of the use of these substances, and events that are done at Disney without the permission of Disney I know that this could be a very bad idea. I know that there will be one of these non-sponsored events going on later this month at Disney. Just look for the kids with all the bright colored plastic jewelery on. You will see them. These ravers come to Disney in huge numbers twice a year. Yes they are taking large numbers of illegal substances, and Disney security does not do anything unless they actually see these substances. They are not taught how to spot the physical differences of someone who is under the influence that I have seen. If you want to talk to me further about this please PM me, as I dont want to go very into detail on this matter in here.

bennette
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, I was there yesterday to see the background going up for myself and found it horrifyingly bright, cheap looking, and generally tacky. I hope it looks better at night than it does during the day.

Reports from friends visiting today were that it only continues to get worse as the build continues.

I'm fairly sensitive to strobe lights and such and while I certainly don't know what the final effect will be, I'm pretty sure I won't want to be there to see it. My retinas are still burning from what I saw yesterday. :|

Add in the four alcoholic bars and six stage areas and I'm hyperventilating--at home!

kfreak
06-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I was there yesterday to see the background going up for myself and found it horrifyingly bright, cheap looking, and generally tacky. I hope it looks better at night than it does during the day.

Reports from friends visiting today were that it only continues to get worse as the build continues.

I'm fairly sensitive to strobe lights and such and while I certainly don't know what the final effect will be, I'm pretty sure I won't want to be there to see it. My retinas are still burning from what I saw yesterday. :|

Add in the four alcoholic bars and six stage areas and I'm hyperventilating--at home!

So your saying that its looking like 6 different stages, 4 alcohol beverage bars, strobe lights, and led lights, and music.

If it smells like a rave, looks like a rave, and sounds like a rave, it must be a world music summer festival. No it must be a rave. Do people understand that the rave culture is big in most countries of this world?

bennette
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I also said I didn't know what the end product would be.

Let me clarify. I am saying it looks hideously unattractive to me. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I sense it will be loud and crowded, due to the location and narrowness of the street it's being staged on.

There are lighting effects that I can't predict. I'm not a lighting professional and the towers are just going up. LED, strobe, neon, or black light, it won't matter to me. None of those are my thing (strobes are particularly not my thing but I don't deal with any of them well).

Is it a rave? Is it not a rave? I don't know. I just know it doesn't look like something I'm interested in experiencing personally. I will be at the other end of the park, when and if I happen to be in DCA this summer.