PDA

View Full Version : Arcade in Tomorrowland

Pages : [1] 2

MickeyFan4Ever
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi MPers: Can someone share with me why the arcade in Tomorrowland is there? There is nothing about this part of Disneyland that has any magic. The games and crane game prizes are not Disney-themed, nor related. Any idea why is operates as it does. It is quite a large space and never seems to have that much traffic. Just curious...

DonKarnage
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Video games/pinball machines were VERY popular back in the 80s & 90s, actually the arcade used to be on 2 levels. Usually the newer video games that came out were on the bottom floor, then you could take the esclator to the upper level were the back wall was lined up with many pinball machines (and some other video games, and air hockey tables as well.) :D Is was a pretty sweet layout back in the day.

darph nader
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I was gonna say,it's pretty much a ghost of it's former self.:(

ogold72
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi MPers: Can someone share with me why the arcade in Tomorrowland is there? There is nothing about this part of Disneyland that has any magic. The games and crane game prizes are not Disney-themed, nor related. Any idea why is operates as it does. It is quite a large space and never seems to have that much traffic. Just curious...

I havent gone in there but from the outside it looks like the games you would find at Chuck E Cheeses.

They should have old school games that match up with the Tommorowland theme such as

Space Invaders
Space Ace
Gyrus
Moon Patrol
Missile Command
Asteroids
Zaxxon

That would kick butt

Any others?

lowfidelity
06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe they will put a "FLYNN'S" overlay on it when the new Tron movie comes out and bring it back to its former glory.

(sigh) But probably not

goalieump413
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
It's another air conditioned distraction from the outside world. Go enjoy the fun, but when I was there, it was a ghost town. Only a couple of people inside, not playing anything, just loitering around.

All of Tommorowland needs work, but that place is so far outside of the Disney mindset that I'd never even think of going there.

lovindisneyland
06-02-2010, 01:26 PM

And I am so very glad that this was brought up! That arcade has been a question in my mind for a while also. Wasn’t the whole idea of Disneyland was so that families could go and share that special time and bond :)together that families have? I just don’t get why a arcade has be placed in theme parks! When a kid goes to play games at a arcade in Disneyland I feel that it’s a sign that they are bored. ;)

I haven’t gone in there but from the outside it looks like the games you would find at Chuck E Cheeses.
they are games you can find at chuck e. cheese!! :)

They should have old school games that match up with the Tommorowland theme such as

Space Invaders
Space Ace
Gyrus
Moon Patrol
Missile Command
Asteroids
Zaxxon

That would kick butt

Any others?

PONG!!!! :):)

Then again I don’t get the need to have an arcade at a amusement park :confused:

trypticon
06-02-2010, 01:41 PM
For years, I thought that the arcade was around for the simple chance of getting some more money from the park visitors. I have to admit though, that even when it was a more current arcade parlor, I rarely saw too many people actually playing the games inside. There were always people inside wandering around, and just hanging out though, getting out of the sun and cooling off.

It's still a chance to get some quick cash from park visitors, but there's little doubt in my mind that an overhaul of the location, transforming it into a more futuristic, actual attraction, would end up being more of a draw to get visitors into the park.

I have to wonder when Disney will ever get around to allocating the funds for the change, if they haven't already, so construction can begin.

I have to agree though, the arcade has never had the Disney feel to it.

ogold72
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
PONG!!!! :):) Then again I don’t get the need to have an arcade at a amusement park :confused:

Ok - Pong meets the old school criteria, but not the space theme criteria. It more so meets the "bars moving vertically and square moving horizontally" criteria :)

lovindisneyland
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok - Pong meets the old school criteria, but not the space theme criteria. It more so meets the "bars moving vertically and square moving horizontally" criteria :)

Ehh.. Pong is sort of “space aged”. It is an old school arcade game..kind of. But still even with old school games brought in- I just don’t see how that would make the starcade more desirable:)

To put it blankly, starcade is unattractive.:)

That area of where starcade is located.. So much more could be done ! like extending the gift shop into that part of the building, I’m sorry but it’s a “cattle yard” as soon as you get off star tours and venture down into that gift shop—let alone, the shop itself is small and dreadfully packed sometimes..

ogold72
06-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Ehh.. Pong is sort of “space aged”. It is an old school arcade game..kind of. But still even with old school games brought in- I just don’t see how that would make the starcade more desirable:)

To put it blankly, starcade is unattractive.:)

That area of where starcade is located.. So much more could be done ! like extending the gift shop into that part of the building, I’m sorry but it’s a “cattle yard” as soon as you get off star tours and venture down into that gift shop—let alone, the shop itself is small and dreadfully packed sometimes..

Just having some fun with the conversation. It is a little out of place. I think the Disney property hotels have arcade gamerooms anyhow

ChrisGlass
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
It's a weak effort compared the majesty it used to have. Instead of change machines, you could go to a person to get quarters, like a bank teller.

The giant X-wing upstairs is still there. Lonely. I still stare at it when I'm in the queue for Space Mountain.

Just having some fun with the conversation. It is a little out of place. I think the Disney property hotels have arcade gamerooms anyhow

On a boat, no less.

DonKarnage
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I think some people are missing the point...when video arcade games came out, they were incredibly popular & was a big step in technology. Wouldn't you agree that advances in technology obviously had their place in Tomorrowland?? Over the years new games were being pumped out, trying to outdo each other & to get you to feed your quarters into the latest video games. ;)

Sure you can argue whether the arcade has any relevance today or debate what they should do with it, but back in the day of the video game craze, the place was buzzin' w/ people waiting for their turn to play the latest games. :p

IllusionOfLife
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Maybe they will put a "FLYNN'S" overlay on it when the new Tron movie comes out and bring it back to its former glory.

(sigh) But probably not

Actually that's already been confirmed.

Follow meeeeee! (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=142322)

ogold72
06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I think some people are missing the point...when video arcade games came out, they were incredibly popular & was a big step in technology. Wouldn't you agree that advances in technology obviously had their place in Tomorrowland?? Over the years new games were being pumped out, trying to outdo each other & to get you to feed your quarters into the latest video games. ;)

Sure you can argue whether the arcade has any relevance today or debate what they should do with it, but back in the day of the video game craze, the place was buzzin' w/ people waiting for their turn to play the latest games. :p

So keep the arcade and call it "Yesterdayland".

Actually, I didnt even think about the arcade till this discussion thread came up. Im old school myself, so I think that space based arcade games would fit the theme and make it "cooler".

Chadsgal
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
When my Brother & I were younger this was on our list of thiings we had to do. We would go get $5 in quarters & play until they were all gone.

Arcades are still something we only do on vacation. Now that we both have little ones of our own my niece being 8 yrs old she loves to play there. I think there is still definately an age group that this still works very well for. It would be great to see it 2 floors again.

rokketride
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
The first time I ever played this machine was at the Starcade. It was epic in its day.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/arcade/atari/starwars/starwars_i.jpg

gotchalk
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
galaga!!

ogold72
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
The first time I ever played this machine was at the Starcade. It was epic in its day.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/arcade/atari/starwars/starwars_i.jpg

Sweet! Thats the stuff!

ogold72
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
galaga!!

Good call. Galaga is a classic

Remember GORF

bombardon3
06-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I think the main problem is that there are so little arcade games being made now. Pinball is very rare. There just isn't much of a market for arcades when most people have game systems and PCs at home. I think the Flynn's overlay will consist mostly of classic games. That little corner is turning into the 80s-land.

lovindisneyland
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
"80's land" :)

RFLOL.. i dare you to sumbit that idea to Disney as an optional "new" land name in tomorrowland!!!!! it be a land in a land!!

ginap73
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
My mom and I spent alot of time in the arcade sunday afternoon, there were alot of people in it both times we went in. I really liked the games inside it, current games. the only thing I saw that was odd were the ride simulators in a theme park.

Nancy
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
It's a place to cool off on a hot day too.

DisneyFanKat
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Video games/pinball machines were VERY popular back in the 80s & 90s, actually the arcade used to be on 2 levels. Usually the newer video games that came out were on the bottom floor, then you could take the esclator to the upper level were the back wall was lined up with many pinball machines (and some other video games, and air hockey tables as well.) :D Is was a pretty sweet layout back in the day.

Heck yes! Loved when it was 2 levels. Used to play air hockey.... I remember when they had some 3-D like game (some fighting game - can't for the life of me remember the name) - was AMAZING. Back then! :)

I remember when there were escalators up to the Space Mountain queue too - freaked out when they were gone!