PDA

View Full Version : DCA's new name and new logo: Disney California Adventure

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Disney has just introduced the new name and logo for California Adventure. Thoughts?

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DCALogo462199LARGE.jpg

CapnJackSavvy
05-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I thought it would say Pixar's California Adventure!:~D

Andrew
05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
NOW Disney is afraid of using apostrophes?

BlkPearlCptn
05-28-2010, 04:27 PM

It just doesn't sound quite right with out that 's

cstephens
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM

How about Di'sney California Adventure?

:~D

shna
05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Now we'll see if they come out with any t-shirt designs I like. I'm very fond of DCA (with or without apostrophe), but I haven't found a shirt I like enough to buy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is a bunch of merchandise with the WOC logos they've been using.

BlkPearlCptn
05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
how about di'sney california adventure?

:~d

rofl!!!

AVP
05-28-2010, 09:23 PM
A joke from a friend: they're using the leftover " 's " and renaming the other park "Disney's Land"

AVP

Gone2Disneyland
05-28-2010, 11:05 PM
At first glance, I liked it. Fresh and friendly. It's not as exciting or innovative as I was expecting/hoping. But I guess expecting a radical name change is a pretty extreme decision. And like others said, I'm used to calling it DCA, so now I can still call it that. Then after letting it gel in my mind, I think it's a logo that can easily to be applied to any theme (holiday, location, era) yet still communicate a winsome, Disney quality. And I actually think it gives California a nice positive push. The original logo kinda shoved that idea in our face. I suppose too that I'm very influenced by the plans shown at Blue Sky Cellar, that I can see all those great new attractions and ideas easily falling under this logo's message.

potzbie
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
This will never do.

It took me months to write "2010" instead of "2009" on my checks.
:(
How will I ever remember this name change?
O woe is me!
"Ba-zinga!"
;)

goalieump413
05-29-2010, 08:16 AM
With all the hubbub, why not call it "Disney California Ad'Venture"? :p

woody9six
05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I like it.

Also, judging from the WoC ad from the Parks Blog, it sounds as if it may be officially referred to as "The Disney California Adventure Park"

Niwel
05-29-2010, 10:04 AM
"Ba-zinga!"
;)

Love it!

danyoung
05-29-2010, 12:26 PM
"Ba-zinga!"
;)

I'll never be able to hear or read this word again without hearing Sheldon's voice!

ogold72
05-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I am ok with it. Dropping the apostrophe makes sense to me. When it said "Disney's" it sounded like Disney was more of a corporate sponsor than promoting it as a Disney Park. I also like the way the words are designed - makes it look fun, "cartoonish" and sunny.

Maybe Im just reading to much into it but Im sure there were teams of people and 100s of man-hours making the design and decision.

IllusionOfLife
05-29-2010, 01:55 PM
When I look at the font used for 'California' I can't help but think Mickey Mouse. I'm not quite sure if that's good or bad :rolleyes:

It definitely feels more Disney, so I suppose that's a plus, but it also feels a little less, hmm what's the word… classy maybe? It feels more like the logo for a water park or the 'B' park (which it kinda is, but they're trying to move away from that). It's definitely warm and inviting, but it doesn't feel like it represents the park to me.

I don't know, maybe it'll grow on me in time, but I think I preferred the older logo.

Gone2Disneyland
05-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I like it.

Also, judging from the WoC ad from the Parks Blog, it sounds as if it may be officially referred to as "The Disney California Adventure Park"

I just found that blog post and watched the ad (http://bit.ly/dAHMoz). I love how Mickey's face forms the "O" in "California" at the end of the ad. Sold!

mkraemer
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
The editor in me shakes her head sadly over the removal of the apostrophe and the s. It just dumbs down the name, I think. But really, I wonder how many people will even notice?

Wasn't the point of re-doing DCA to make it the California that Disney experienced when he first arrived in the state? (I mean that theoretically; we know the re-do was needed in order to make the park more popular.) So, in that regard, using the name "Disney's California Adventure" made much more sense than whatever reasons it was named that way in the first place.

Or maybe somebody just 'forgot' the apostrophe and the s in the logo, and it was approved because nobody was a proofreader?

:eyeroll:

spectromen
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
They've got to be kidding. The whole idea for the 1.4 billion investment was to transform DCA into California in the 20s and 30s? This logo looks like a 70's cartoon font.

Gone2Disneyland
05-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Wasn't the point of re-doing DCA to make it the California that Disney experienced when he first arrived in the state? (I mean that theoretically; we know the re-do was needed in order to make the park more popular.) So, in that regard, using the name "Disney's California Adventure" made much more sense than whatever reasons it was named that way in the first place.

They've got to be kidding. The whole idea for the 1.4 billion investment was to transform DCA into California in the 20s and 30s? This logo looks like a 70's cartoon font.

I originally thought the whole park would get a "when Walt first arrived in California during the 20's" vibe too. But as I think about it, they can't really do that to the entire park. Just the main entrance, Hollywood Backlot and Paradise Pier are the areas I can see that happening in. Cars Land may have a bygone era feel to it perhaps, but not necessarily 1920's-specific. I don't think the 1920's era will make a huge graphic appearance in the Grizzly Peak area nor a bug's land either. I think an overall "retro"/"classic" vibe rather than 1920's-30's era-specific will probably fall across all of DCA when the main entrance makeover is done. And I think that's why they ended up with this logo.

mkraemer
05-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Yeah, an art deco font would have looked much nicer...

Gone2Disneyland
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Ironically, it looks a lot more like a competitor's late 50's/early 60's font.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes

mkraemer
05-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I just adore conversations about editing and typography! :D

Gone2Disneyland
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
i just adore conversations about editing and typography! :d

lol! :d

danyoung
05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Or maybe somebody just 'forgot' the apostrophe and the s in the logo, and it was approved because nobody was a proofreader?

:eyeroll:

This from the company that gave us the "Lightyear's Above The Rest" sign in Tomorrowland for how many years?