PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort -- No Fly Zone!

FOOD_AND_DRUG
03-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Effective immediately, the FAA has issued a directive that the area surrounding the Disneyland Resort is a "no fly" zone.

hefferdude
03-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Oh no!
More layoffs!
What will Tinkerbell, Peterpan and Dumbo do!:D

Tref
03-18-2003, 11:49 AM
hefferdude said, "What will Tinkerbell, Peterpan and Dumbo do!"

Hehe, that's a good one.

canoegimp
03-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by hefferdude
Oh no!
More layoffs!
What will Tinkerbell, Peterpan and Dumbo do!:D

What every other cast member does when something doesnt go their way...call the union.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Ye Vish! Why can't they do the same for Hollywood Bowl?!? (Hardly a concert goes by when the Bowl doesn't get buzzed, usually during some violin solo!)

At any rate, good for Disneyland.

cstephens
03-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Ye Vish! Why can't they do the same for Hollywood Bowl?!? (Hardly a concert goes by when the Bowl doesn't get buzzed, usually during some violin solo!)

At any rate, good for Disneyland.

I'm thinking the capacity of the Hollywood Bowl doesn't qualify. I'm presuming the "no fly zone" directive is a result of the most-likely-impending war. I believe that right after Sept. 11, 2001, even after planes were allowed back in the air, certain venues (like amusement parks and stadiums) were designated as no fly zones.

furbE95
03-18-2003, 12:49 PM
It's about time. They should have done this a long time ago.

scottmen
03-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
It's about time. They should have done this a long time ago.

Hasn't it always been a no fly zone? I remember the first time I saw Fantasmic and that light beam I told a friend hope no planes are flying over. A cast member heard me and told me DL was restricted airspace. It made sense to me especially with fireworks and all.

Scott

tabacco
03-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Do you have a link to a source? I can't find any mention on the FAA homepage.

tabacco
03-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Ah... according to Reuters:

http://reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=governmentFilingsNew s&storyID=2402880

So it's not a no-fly zone, but there is a floor of 3,000' over Disneyland and WDW (although I think WDW has had that in place for a while since DAK is a noise-sensitive area)

Ghoulish Delight
03-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by scottmen
Hasn't it always been a no fly zone? I remember the first time I saw Fantasmic and that light beam I told a friend hope no planes are flying over. A cast member heard me and told me DL was restricted airspace. It made sense to me especially with fireworks and all.

Scott I used to hear that same thing. But shortyl after I did, I began to notice helicopters fly over almost every time I visited (and not just police or military choppers). Just last weekend, I saw a blimp go putting through Tink's air space.

As tobacco mentioned, there is most likely a floor, restricting air craft from flying bellow that while going over DL. With the threat of war, they probably lowered that floor.

Ace
03-18-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Tref
hefferdude said, "What will Tinkerbell, Peterpan and Dumbo do!"

Hehe, that's a good one.

Superstar Limo.

and re: the no flight thing: good. I always thought they should only be able to fly over tomorrowland, since they were only era-correct there, but a whole park no-fly ban is fine as well.

Wizard69
03-18-2003, 08:03 PM
It's about time! I thought it was always a no-fly zone too but apparently it isn't (see other thread here on MP for this discussion). I get kinda ticked when the fireworks are going off and you can see airplane/helicopter lights in the distance disrupting the fireworks.

SiRocket
03-18-2003, 11:20 PM
so whats gonna happen to soarin :)

justagrrl
03-19-2003, 06:09 AM
"Also, a move Tuesday by the Federal Aviation Administration agreeing to a request by
Disney to restrict air traffic over Disneyland and Disney World is already being
re-evaluated and the restriction could well be lifted by today."

Link to article dated 3/19/03 (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=30712&section=NEWS&subsection=FOCUS_IN_DEPTH&year=2003&month=3&day=19)

Mr.AlfaRomeo
03-19-2003, 08:11 AM
I fly over disneyland all the time, working on the rest of my ratings. I could post come cool pics if I knew how!!

mandi2728
03-19-2003, 08:15 AM
So they just did it, and now they are talking about rescinding it?

hbquikcomjamesl
03-19-2003, 12:20 PM
I was completely serious about Hollywood Bowl, and other outdoor performance venues. Even though pilots are routinely asked to avoid the Bowl (which is clearly marked by three strobe lights and a pair of searchlights crossed over the stage), it sometimes seems as if certain individuals go out of their way to overfly the Bowl.

There's probably little that can be done about the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, since while it's not generally directly overflown, it's uncomfortably close to the airport in San Diego. But places like Hollywood Bowl, and Wolf Trap Farm National Park for the Performing Arts, and so forth ought to be no-fly zones during performance hours. Consider this idea:

The Cultural Landmark Overflight Act of 2005

WHEREAS outdoor performance venues are an essential cultural resource, giving all Americans access to live musical and dramatic productions that many might be unable to attend otherwise, and

WHEREAS unnecessary overflights of such venues are disruptive to the performers and audiences alike,

The Federal Aviation Administration is hereby directed to maintain a list of such venues as can be reasonably protected from overflight during performance hours, to prohibit all non-emergency air traffic from overflying those venues, and to enforce such "no-fly" zones.

The list of no-fly performance venues shall consist, at minimum, of Wolf Trap Farm National Park for the Performing Arts, and the Hollywood Bowl.

The penalty for non-emergency overflights of these areas shall consist of fines to be levied at the discretion of the FAA, with habitual offenses and fraudulent declarations of emergencies punishable by imprisonment, lifetime forfeiture of pilot's license, and confiscation of the offending aircraft without compensation to the owner.

teri
03-19-2003, 02:24 PM
It's about time they fumigated the place. ;)

Mr.AlfaRomeo
03-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Just flew today, And yes, there is a TFR (temp. flight restriction) in effect over the 'Disneyland resort' area.

Subsonic
03-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by scottmen

Scott

This is what I heard/remember before and when I was a castmember:

Disneyland USED to be a No-Fly zone. They also had to pay for it. Along with many other corners Disney was cutting, they decided to stop paying the No-Fly zone fees. It was very unfortunate to see budweiser planes flying by. I'm glad it's back to a No-Fly zone.

It's sad, Walt didn't want Guests to be reminded of the outside world while visiting Disneyland. No matter how much money 'they' save, the dream shouldn't have been broken.

PhilMP
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Actually, the FAA decided that companies shouldn't be able to pay to restrict airspace that is inherently under the control of the federal government. That and the amount of planes in the air demanded that we needed as much unrestricted air space as possible.

IMO, Disney would still be paying for restricted airspace over the Resort. It keeps those pesky advertising planes and blimps and such from hovering over and annoying everybody.

However, it was interesting to see Marine One and entourage fly over D-Land one day.

Phil