PDA

View Full Version : Luminaria!

Pages : [1] 2

Monsento86
07-30-2001, 12:37 AM
According to www.themeparkadventure.com, Disney's California Adventure will present Luminaria! a festival of fire and the californian holidays in the Paradise Bay Lagoon.....I would give this site more credibility if it wasn't for the sub-par logo for Luminara!, that isn't disney quality. I also deduct credibility becasue this is such a far-feched rumor. With that in mind, I am nothing short of hopeful that Luminaria becomes a reality; as it sounds like nothing short of a spectacluar production that DCA needs so much.
--MOnsento

[URL fixed so it works. -- Lani]

pheneix
07-30-2001, 08:34 AM
>>>it sounds like nothing short of a spectacluar production that DCA needs so much.<<<

If it is going to be like Illuminations 2000, then I am not going to get my hopes up.

Pheneix

Lani
07-30-2001, 09:59 AM
How odd... "luminarias" (and farolitos) are traditionally associated with New Mexico in December... In fact, I don't much see any luminarias or farolitos in California.

Luminarias are little votive candles placed inside little brown paper sacks, which are then placed along driveways and such. VERY pretty.

You can read more about luminarias at About.com (http://gosouthwest.about.com/library/weekly/aa121598.htm?once=true&).

... I just checked the blurb at TPA, and they spell it "Lumin-Aria" -- cute. However they say the music is supposed to be Enya-like. Since when does Enya sing operatic arias??

So... the event has a name that has little association with California (in Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure park). The event name is a pun for a kind of music they are not going to do. The theme is FIRE, which I guess is connected to Christmas because it gets cold and you light up your fireplace... but in Southern California? Does it EVER get that cold there??

Hrmmmmmm....

SimpTwister
07-30-2001, 11:14 AM
I think you're doing some serious nit-picking there, lani.

This is a VERY encouraging rumor!

Fire is a universal symbol of gatherings, even of civilization. Fire can also symbolize the holidays, IMO. Christmas candles, fireplaces, cooking, etc.

'Aria', though usually used in connection with opera, is basically a synonym for 'song' or 'melody' or even 'music'.

Though it may be true that luminarias are more associated with NM than CA, I'm sure there is a large number of Californians who practice this tradition.

Any problems with the name LuminAria are far offset by positives: The name suggests light, fire, music, and the holidays, and it has a nice ring to boot. Frankly, I don't think they could have done much better!

If this is actually going to happen, this is GREAT news!

Ralph Wiggum
07-30-2001, 02:21 PM
I do have to say this is very interesting. It's not even reported as a rumor really. They claim it more as a fact. I have seen this site before and they seem legit(as does the other news they reported). I guess we will just wait and see.

Hades
07-30-2001, 04:39 PM
Just for a little perspective, as a CM, I haven't heard anything about LuminAria. I will keep my ears (:D ) and eyes open for any information.

Gandalf
07-31-2001, 07:06 PM
Lumin-Aria sounds pretty good to bring some Christmas cheer into the Paradise Pier area. I hope Disney stays with the idea of letting some of the images of children's Christmas drawings be part of the projected images.

DisneyFreak2000
07-31-2001, 07:56 PM
What does LuminAria stand for?
Are they planning to make a year round lagoon show too?

Napsto
08-01-2001, 12:53 AM
where's al? he should be filling us in.

DisneyFreak2000
08-09-2001, 05:24 PM
Does anybody know if they have any plans for a year round show? And, what did Al mean by "island?" Is it gonna be a literal island (ie the ones used in the FAntasmics) or is it a term for a section of material they'll put in the middle of the lake?

Ralph Wiggum
08-09-2001, 10:18 PM
I am sure it will be something like the boats/barges they use at Epcot for that show!

Napsto
08-09-2001, 10:45 PM
what show at epcot?

AnimeNut
08-10-2001, 10:01 AM
Hey, everybody!

Pheneix says:

If it is going to be like Illuminations 2000, then I am not going to get my hopes up.

Are you implying that you weren't too impressed with Illuminations 2000: Reflections of Earth? If so, then wow, that just goes to show how widely the opinions on this board can differ. I personally am blown away by the new Illuminations show every time I see it, even when some of the pyros are not working properly. It might just be because I got so used to being bored out of my mind by the 25th Anniversary Edition of Illuminations, but the current show at Epcot beats MGM's Fantasmic! in my humble opinion. It has the best show soundtrack which is only boosted by the London Symphony Orchestra performance. I mean, who doesn't get a little shiver every single time ABC News uses the Illuminations ditty during major events like the past presidential election?

Ralph Wiggum
08-10-2001, 12:10 PM
I agree...Illuminations looks great....i havent seen it in person but i did download a video of a website of it. I hope its something to that level of quality!

bandboy1985
08-15-2001, 01:19 PM
Illuminations 2000 was incredible. The last time I saw it was on a band tour to Orlando and my entire tour group stood in Mexico with our mouths dropped open- it was monumental!

I'm wondering about the Luminaria show, though. Fireworks are most often effective when silhouetted against a flat black background, and the whole Paradise Pier area is studded with thousands of lightbulbs. Would dimming them to provide a better show be out of the question? Also, about the barges; if they were floating, do you think Dinsey would utilize Cirque DuSoliel's 'O' acquatic barge technology? (they can sink their barges hydraulically with locker-style covers to keep the interiors dry...sound plausible for firework mortars?)

Also, does anyone think Disney is planning on a year-round lagoon-based fireworks extravaganza? That might be the extra kick DCA needs to secure after-dark audiences?;)

Ralph Wiggum
08-15-2001, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bandboy1985

Also, does anyone think Disney is planning on a year-round lagoon-based fireworks extravaganza? That might be the extra kick DCA needs to secure after-dark audiences?;)

I haven't heard any official word, or rumors for that matter but I would think its a definate possibility. It definately is a great idea!

Gandalf
08-16-2001, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by bandboy1985
Illuminations 2000 was incredible. The last time I saw it was on a band tour to Orlando and my entire tour group stood in Mexico with our mouths dropped open- it was monumental!
How large an area does the WDW Illuminations use? There doesn't seem to be much viewing space for Paradise Pier Lagoon. Do you think Disney has thought of using the rooftop of the adjacent buildings for unobstructive specialty seating?

bandboy1985
08-21-2001, 08:22 PM
overall, i'd say the world showcase lagoon viewing area (in ring formation for 360* viewing) is about 1.75 times larger than the DCA basin- diners in Avalon Cove (already an elite eatery) would have excellent viewing opportunities; and i sure hope management is looking at a year-round show- it would be an excelent addition!

MMFan
08-22-2001, 06:27 AM
Just read today's update about DL and DCA. Luminaria was mentioned. Sounds like it may be nice. But I've been reading and seeing so much about a new Disney park soon to open in the Land of the Rising Sun, that I'm kind of distracted. So please forgive me for feeling like there's some slumming going on at the Land of the, er, um, Sunwheel. Yea, that's right. Sunwheel. Rising sun and sunwheel. Get it? Lame, I know. But kind of sums up my feelings about the new Disney park in my part of town. But, okay, DL's Believe was good, so there's hope for DCA's Luminaria.

Niwel
08-22-2001, 09:29 AM
IMHO
I think if they want to display unity... they should make it winter HOLIDAYS around the world. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and I think it would nice if kids didn't feel obligated to draw 'Christmas Cards' and adults didn't have to write 'Christmas Wishes.'
Otherwise, it sounds nice.... but we shall see.

Napsto
08-22-2001, 11:02 AM
well i thought the show sounded good

disneyhead
08-22-2001, 11:25 AM
Sounds like a winner to me. Wolgang's Desserts Buffett priority viewing of a fantastic NEW an ORIGINAL pyro-laser-fireworks show. Now were talking Disney Magic. They would be insane not to redesign for a year around show.

And the bouncing effect back in Pooh? They better stop or they're going to spoil me.

merlinjones
08-22-2001, 12:37 PM
One hesititation I would have about Luminaria - - from Al's desription of the show - - is that they intend it to be a story heavy and highly emotional, Disney character-free salute to cultural diversity.

I'm not so sure this is the theme to play to SoCal locals who want fun, escape and wonder, not edutainment (Epcot's realm)... "Believe" works not so much because of the syrupy "story" but because it beautifully accesses the sentiments already attached to Disney movies, through the music and setting, and brings to reality the opening titles of Wonderful World of Color/Disney. Those nostalgic emotions and the wonder of seeing TinkerBell fly over Walt's original castle, bring something to the incredible fireworks show that would be otherwise hard to create from scratch (Fantasmic!'s use of Disney film clips and characters accesses these same emotional points).

Based on audience reactions to the heavy-handed Golden Dreams, I would not be so sure that a Disney-free original program will have the same inherent draw for locals... especially, if it at all seems PBS/propogandistic (as does Golden Dreams and even Eureka!). One of the biggest downfalls of Light Magic was its' cloying and phony emotionalism.

Still, this is a great team - - I hope they can pull something original off. I'm glad the park is making the effort, which should have been in place at opening.

Ralph Wiggum
08-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
IMHO
I think if they want to display unity... they should make it winter HOLIDAYS around the world. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and I think it would nice if kids didn't feel obligated to draw 'Christmas Cards' and adults didn't have to write 'Christmas Wishes.'
Otherwise, it sounds nice.... but we shall see.

Al mentioned something about "Christmas in all cultures" and I bet they will do stuff similar to believe where they have a segment for other holidays too.

bandboy1985
08-22-2001, 06:10 PM
I think the 'Luminaria' show idea would work well under the epcot-styled banner (expansive and celebratory). I wouldn't expect a whole lot of story tucked in between elements, as I think we can look to IllumiNations to see some inspiration for the show; which if I can remember correctly had very little track dialogue. Since this is the holidays, maybe we could expect the anticipated 'snow' effect to debut in DCA with carolers' tracks tucked into the show. This would be an excellent opportunity to 'clean house' in the pyro and aqua effects and throw every elemental; visual bang for the production cost buck- it's an excellent opportunity!