PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the clones

furbE95
03-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm sure by now you all have realized disney's current trend of park management. The ole Build and Clone technique. With DLR's only three works on the schedule being clones (ToT, Playhouse Disney, and Winnie the Pooh), there seems to be no end in site. My question for disney execs as well as my fellow MPers is WHY?

I realize that on the surface this idea may make sense. By eliminating imagineering and design disney can save time and money. Also disney already has all the testing they need in the original ride.

But does this technique really save that much money? I live in Central Cali, and i have been to WDW once. My girlfriend once told me that she wanted to visit WDW sometime in her life, but i gently told her why she was misinformed. Why would we go when, by the time we could afford it, all the good rides will be here at DLR anyways. The need to go to both parks is slowly shrinking.

If we dont ever go to WDW, Disney will lose probably at least 2,000. If, say, 1,000 californians decide not to go to WDW in one year, than the park is losing 2 million people per year. This 2 million could have easily been spent on building unique rides at each park.

Is it just me, or does some high up exec at Disney need to re-evaluate the way he is managing the parks?

Lashbear
03-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi there !

I agree you have some valid points, however having been to both parks in CA and FLA last year, I have to say that even though many rides were duplicated, the setting of the ride (eg, Tomorrowland in WDW is totally different from DL), the storyline of the ride (in a few cases - Snow White being the best example), and the whole feel of the park is certainly very different in each park.

Add to this that some rides are longer and more involved (eg the Haunted Mansion in WDW) and that in some cases the ride vehicles themselves are different (as in Pooh), Not to mention differences such as the two different TOT rides, then I think these differences are enough that you certainly can warrant a trip to the various parks just to see the differences in the parks themselves ! :cool:

...I know that I definitely want to go to DL Paris just to see Phantom Manor, even though I've ridden two [different] other haunted mansion rides in the other parks.

Cheers,
Rob :D

hbquikcomjamesl
03-17-2003, 08:02 AM
There's really nothing new here. When WDW first opened, the general rule was to have nominally the same attractions at both parks, even if the layout and details differed, and usually WDW, having more free space, was the first to get anything (Space Mountain, CBJ, &c.), with DL then having its own version shoehorned in. And of course, many of the earliest WDW-MK attractions were just expanded versions of DL attractions, some of which (like the Hall of Presidents, in a "Liberty Square" area that was based on the old "Liberty Street" that was never built at DL because the space was more useful as a backstage area) had been abandoned at DL for lack of space. Then, with the opening of Epcot, and later MGM, this "MK parity" plan was pretty-much abandoned. Now, with DCA hurting for good attractions, and DL having a bunch that had lost a lot of favor, they're really just going back to a variation on the way they used to do things.

Doodle Duck
03-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Lashbear...save me the task of searching for info...
What IS the difference between the two Snow White Dark Rides??
Does the WDW one have an ending?
Thanks

I rode it many many years ago but don't remember much.

Lashbear
03-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Lashbear...save me the task of searching for info...
What IS the difference between the two Snow White Dark Rides??
Does the WDW one have an ending?
Thanks

I rode it many many years ago but don't remember much.

There are differences in the flow of the storyline, and added scenes as well.

When I get home (I'm at work now) I will view my video of the ride and give a scene by scene description. I will then do the same for the DL ride :o)

I know the storyline seemed to make more sense at WDW than at DL:cool:

Cheers,
Rob.

innerSpaceman
03-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Ah, but what you won't be getting from Lashbear's description (and I am very keen on getting it nonetheless) is his take on WDW's former Snow White attraction, which in my opinion was a masterpiece. It was ALL about the wicked queen in her crone form - she was after you throughout the ride, jumped out from every corner and crevice, basically made about 20 appearances in 2 minutes - and made the old Snow White one of the most hysterical dark rides I have ever experienced.

I have never seen the "new and supposedly improved" version, so I am anxious to read Lashbear's description of it.

And it is interesting for us serious fans to compare different versions of various attractions at the different parks. But for the layman, I think some of the impetus to spend thousands on a vacation trip to a faraway Disney destination is somewhat blunted if you can get too many of the "same" attractions at the park(s) closer to you.

merlinjones
03-17-2003, 05:23 PM
WDW's newest Snow White is more like watching the movie in synopsis form with an emphasis on the Queen/Witch. It is not told from SW's POV as it was in older versions, but begins with SW at the Wishing Well and ends with her kiss and being carried off to the castle in the clouds.