PDA

View Full Version : Canoes not attraction?

rexfarms
03-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Like on MiceAge, if the Canoes are not Attractions, what are they?:confused:

DisneyFan25863
03-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Ummmm, I don't know. But then why are the listed on the DL site as one?

tabacco
03-16-2003, 03:35 PM
They're a mobile gym :)

Darkbeer
03-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, Al mentioned it in regards to upgrading handrails, etc...

What I am thinking is that the Canoes are not ADA friendly, and therefore the Disney lawyers felt that there was no need to upgrade the handrails, etc.

rexfarms
03-16-2003, 03:59 PM
But if they are not under the list of Attractions, what are the under? I know it says different on the Disneyland Resort website but what about what Al said?

Darkbeer
03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Let's look at Al's own words...

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al031403c.htm

The Splash Mountain / Pooh area should reopen this weekend, and visitors will notice new surface treatments and handrails in both Splash and Pooh's queues (Also Pooh's queue had to be redesigned to accommodate the bigger crowds they now expect.)

Why no new handrails for the Canoes? For some odd reason they are not classified as an attraction, so the new regulations Disney is observing for the park don't apply to them. Odd eh?

Now, he is saying that in some way they are not "classified" as an attraction.

Well, we know that the CM's that run the Canoes are attraction CM's, and they are listed in the Guide to the Magic (But those aren't truly attractions, since they also include arcades, shows, stages, and exhibits).

So, he is claiming that the Canoes are not getting the "safety" enhancements that Splash/Pooh got.

So the question is why is the Canoes being treated differently? And I go back to the fact that these improvements are not needed, due in part to ADA issues. They just recently rebuilt the dock on the Canoes, and did add surface treatments to prevent slippage.

Maybe DOSH doesn't count the Canoes as a "ride". There is no motorized mechanisms, no track for the canoes. Just folks getting into a boat, and paddling. The same thing people can do at a lake, river, or ocean. Therefore do not fall under the DOSH requirements as an amusement.

Here is the actual California code...

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=07001-08000&file=7920-7932

7921(a)

"Permanent amusement ride" means a mechanical device, aquatic device, or combination of devices, of a permanent nature that carries or conveys passengers along, around, or over a fixed or restricted route or course for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills, or excitement.

Now the code does mention aquatic devices, but I think you could make a strong case for the Canoes NOT using "a fixed or restricted route".

rexfarms
03-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Oh okay thanks. Still confusing though.

Techie7
03-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Now the code does mention aquatic devices, but I think you could make a strong case for the Canoes NOT using "a fixed or restricted route". You can only travel on the river. Sounds like a restricted path to me. ;)

kranders
03-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Darkbeer,
What an informative post! Thanks for doing that research and posting it. It lends credability to your posts when you document your findings like that, we should all take note! ;)

rexfarms
03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by kranders
Darkbeer,
What an informative post! Thanks for doing that research and posting it. It lends credability to your posts when you document your findings like that, we should all take note! ;)

I agree! Thank you.

canoegimp
03-18-2003, 10:12 AM
I worked on the canoes for just about 4 months, that was one of the hardest (but most enjoyable jobs) I ever had.

Even fell in the lake of muck...*shudder*

refurbmike
03-18-2003, 02:30 PM
DarkBeer, you show off! ;)