PDA

View Full Version : Superstar WILL BE Lamo....

CaliforniaCrazy
07-29-2001, 04:49 PM
removing all the celebrities in Superstar Limo and replacing them with the Disney characters from the Disney stores sounds even more stupid than anything Limo "supposedly" has in it. I love it the way it is, and even though I hear this depressing news it will not change my opinion of it. I guess I will have to ride a few more times before they change it. :( "Goofy's Superstar Limo"? Paul Pressler, you have your head up your ***. :mad:

DisneylandKid
07-29-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
removing all the celebrities in Superstar Limo and replacing them with the Disney characters from the Disney stores sounds even more stupid than anything Limo "supposedly" has in it. I love it the way it is, and even though I hear this depressing news it will not change my opinion of it. I guess I will have to ride a few more times before they change it. :( "Goofy's Superstar Limo"? Paul Pressler, you have your head up your ***. :mad:

I second that.

Alex S.
07-29-2001, 05:52 PM
Well, unfortunately your approval of the current version is in the extreme minority. I don't know what I think of the redesign but I'm happy that they recognize they got it wrong and are trying to fix it (I'm in the "Limo is terrible" camp).

Also, watch the language.

EandCDad
07-29-2001, 06:50 PM
I have not been to DCA and have, ipso facto, not ridden this ride. My question, how can you make a . . . how to be diplomatic here . . . unpopular ride better simply by replacing cutouts of movie people with cutouts of animated characters. What is involved in the change?

DisneylandKid
07-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Just wondering for all of you Superstar Limo-haters (in other words, almost all of you), what you hate so much about this attraction? Is it so creatively and "mockingly" (I don't think that's in the dictionary....) done. Now maybe I only understand the mockery because I'm almost in "The Industry" (Hollywood), but I don't know.

Anyway, I'm just wondering.....

CaliforniaCrazy
07-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Thank you Disneylandkid. That is exactly the way I feel about the ride. And Alex, Sorry about the language. I have no intention of that happeneing again. I always thought Pressler was doing a semi-good job, but now I think he's really gone over the edge to "fix" Superstar Limo.

merlinjones
07-29-2001, 09:29 PM
>>Now maybe I only understand the mockery because I'm almost in "The Industry" (Hollywood), but I don't know. <<

I've been in "The Industry" for 16 years and still find this ride completely annoying, confusing, ugly, cheap, cynical, banal, disjointed, unfunny and completely sucking.

I think the Disney character redo of the ride is a good idea in principle, but not with reused statues from The Disney Store. I have trouble visualizing how they are going to stage stationary characters created in attitudes for other uses in cohesive, let alone entertaining or storytelling-worthy gag scenarios. Sounds like more marketing/shopkeeper thinking. But this thing can't be worse, really... or can it?

"This is so bad it's almost good."
"This is so bad is gone past being good and back to bad again." - - Characters in the new movie "Ghost World"

80S ERA
07-30-2001, 06:27 AM
They should build what WDI had originally planned for the ride.

Doodle Duck
07-30-2001, 07:14 AM
I did not read whatever it was that shows up in statements here that STORE FIGURES are to be used on the ride?

DisneylandKid
07-30-2001, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by 80S ERA
They should build what WDI had originally planned for the ride.

Even though I am a fan of Superstar Limo, I think that the original plans would have been an awesome ride. But, of course, WDI is not going to do that, I'm sure.

Lani
07-30-2001, 10:15 AM
You know, it's really kind of a shame that the Imagineers totally backed down from the "racing away from the papparazzi" theme for the attraction. They could have gotten rid of the papparazzi flash bulbs, and still used a similar theme for the ride...

BMW Motors (the car maker) has a really nifty Web site called BMWFilms (http://www.bmwfilms.com), where you can download and watch short 7-minute films from some great and famous movie directors (Ang Lee, et al), who have used the BMW as one of the main "vehicles" (don't mind the pun) in their stories (all totally original works and made specifically for BMWFilms). Each of these short films star Clive Owen, a well-known British actor.

One of these films is directed by Guy Ritchie. Called "Superstar," it stars his wife, Madonna, in an uncredited role as a very very obnoxious and spoiled superstar, who demands to be driven (by Clive Owen, in a BMW) to her concert venue.

What follows is a crazy drive through town, with Clive Owen playing the half-crazed limo driver who decides to give this snotty superstar her due. He takes turns hard... REALLY hard, and at one point, he takes a leap with the car in the air (air time!).

Now, wouldn't it have been great to have had something similar for Superstar Limo? The ride vehicle could be set up similar to Rock 'N' Roll Coaster, with a "driver" speaking through a front partition, and the queue area perhaps building up to the fact that you are an assistant for the star, or somehow end up being in the same limo as this obnoxious star (since goodness, Disney wouldn't want to make US be the obnoxious star). We could have still had an exciting ride, without the Princess Di/papparazzi thing to worry about.

Corith
07-30-2001, 10:45 AM
Why don't they just make it that your given a script, and you must outrace a fictional other delvery person to get the your script to the studio. The various "scenes" could be more like Toad's - road blocks, street repairs, wrong way turns, etc.

Doodle Duck
07-30-2001, 11:32 AM
When a bad movie is made, it just fades away and the film company goes on to start from SCRATCH on the next one. Rarely are props, costumes and sets from a turkey transfered to the next potential TURKEY...so I repeat the question...are they planning on using old D-Store display figures on SSL? (Instead of giving the PAYING customer what they pay for? Imagination and Quality and EFFORT?)
E.F.F.O.R.T. is not spelled P.R.E.S.S.L.E.R. nor will it ever be associated.

80S ERA
07-30-2001, 11:58 AM
I like superstar limo, but my friend Cyrus calls it Superstar-Lame-O.:D

Just poking fun at you, Lacrosse Boy! :p

SimpTwister
07-30-2001, 12:09 PM
I call it StupidStar Stinko.

(heehee) Its' not just LB, lots of people have felt obligated to share their derogatory names for SSL...

stan4d_steph
07-30-2001, 03:10 PM
I just find it lacking in anything really interesting. All of the LA area stereotypes are tired and I really didn't see how it tied into the whole story of racing to get to a premiere; the car wasn't "racing" at all. Plus those puppets give me the creeps and Cindy Crawford looks like a hooker. :eek:

Ralph Wiggum
07-30-2001, 03:23 PM
I hope its good. As a kid I loved going to the Disneystore mainly to see those characters. One thing is for sure, the kids will probably love the ride more now which I think is the most important part.

Hades
07-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Lani, love your take on what SSL could be. Reality says, not likely to happen.

Ralph is right on the money on what the ride is soon to become. DCA needs more attractions for kids. I only wish it didn't have to come at the expense of the current SSL or the original concept of SSL.

More stars in SSL would have been nice, but given the way Hollywood works, some of the star figures (animatronic seems too generous a word), would be passe or outdated (Like Tim Allen. Sorry to all the TA fans, but when was the last time you seen him in any films or TV series lately?) in a very short time.

SSL was doomed at the start. I like the ride, don't get me wrong, but if you want to lampoon Hollywood, you have to go WAAAAY over the top! It is not easy to do this to an ideal that is bigger than real life. Harder still to do it with a sense of Disney morality. Hmmmm, probably why only one of the figures talks to you. ;)

Uncle Dick
02-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
(I'm in the "Limo is terrible" camp).

I'm in the Limo is "terrible camp" camp. ;)

I actually enjoy Limo while waiting for WWTBAMPI or BLAST! since there's never any line, and it's a great way to waste some time. I don't find it particularly humorous, but I do enjoy all of the pretty colors. And I'm still pulling for the "SuperStar Limo => Pooh" option, even if it is just a dream.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-25-2002, 08:20 AM
I only rode the thing once, when I was there for the passholder soft-open of DCA. I didn't think it was terrible (but the Joan Rivers dummy on the screens in the queuing area was [can we talk?!?] even more obnoxious than the real one!), and I thought the in-jokes were funny, but I also thought in-jokes were a really weak basis for a ride.

Personally, I'm still pulling for DCA Hollywood Backlot eventually getting some sort of "Great Movie Ride-Lite." Which was what I was hoping for while I was in line for the "Lemon."

Brown Monkey
02-25-2002, 09:32 AM
I don't understand how some of us are so quick to assume that a ride will suck (new or revised) even before we've had any real evidence to base that assumption on. It's hard to tell what a ride will be like (again, new or revised) until we actually get to ride it. Couldn't we just wait til we have the end result before blurting out all our negative criticism?

Disney is not stupid. They know what people are saying. They know that Superstar Limo is not the best ride. Otherwise, they would not have had any plans to change it in the first place. I don't think they'd make any major changes on any ride without careful consideration of the consequences. No one wants a reject twice.

And whoever said that they were changing this ride anyway? I heard somewhere that the whole "Goofy's Superstar Limo" idea was just a rumor, something that just didn't materialize. And that the real reason Superstar Limo is closed is due to testing of the ride vehicles for the new Winnie the Pooh ride on the SSL track. Anyone have some insight on this? I'm still hoping though that there will be some kind of change to Superstar Limo. A change for the better. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

ricksfca
02-25-2002, 09:49 AM
The only reasons I would ride this badly-developed "attraction" were the following:

1) The "Showgirls" factor - I had to show friends, family and anybody that would listen to me just how bad this ride was. Once you knew it was bad, it became a riot.

2) The photo factor - would love to make sleeping or dead poses as our photo was taken. Confused the tourists that still hadn't ridden.

3) The Peoplemover factor - when in line (but there hardly ever was a line) there was piped-in music from the old Peoplemover ride. But if I listened to it enough, I'd get angry that the Peoplemover was gone and Numbo existed.

Nigel2
02-25-2002, 09:55 PM
Oh I love the dead look, especially when people are in the front of the car.:D They look back and see we are just sitting there normally and for some reason they don't quite catch on.:)