PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Star Tours closing dates: July 26, 2010 - May 9, 2011

AVP
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I just got the official closure dates for Disneyland's Star Tours, and I know people had been asking about it. Looks like the ride will reopen on Tuesday, May 10, 2011.

AVP

disneylandgirl
05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Is this for the "re-do"?

houseofmouse
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
We were told at the resort Sunday, that Star Tours closes August 18th 2010. They announced it on the train and the driver on the monorail also said the 18th of August. Guess they changed their minds??

candles71
05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I am so excited. DH and I are always talking about getting a new film. We still think there should be alternate options.:D Not really feasible, I know. Like, one with the original, but new films in others.

cstephens
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
We still think there should be alternate options.:D Not really feasible, I know. Like, one with the original, but new films in others.

That could work with the ride itself and even with the queue, since there are two sides to the queue, so you could have two different adventures and have one line for each one, as long as it's very well marked so people know which line to get into. The only problem I see is the theming of the queue. Since the current adventure and the pod racing adventure are very different, it would be a lot harder to theme the queue to both adventures, especially since the two adventures are from totally different eras in Star Wars lore.

And this is only for the Anaheim version. I don't know the Orlando version well enough to remember how their queue is set up.

codewoman
05-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Phew! I'll be getting there July 21 with my Star Tours loving son. Thank goodness it doesn't close before we get there. I'd be in some hot water!

candles71
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
That could work with the ride itself and even with the queue, since there are two sides to the queue, so you could have two different adventures and have one line for each one, as long as it's very well marked so people know which line to get into. The only problem I see is the theming of the queue. Since the current adventure and the pod racing adventure are very different, it would be a lot harder to theme the queue to both adventures, especially since the two adventures are from totally different eras in Star Wars lore.

And this is only for the Anaheim version. I don't know the Orlando version well enough to remember how their queue is set up.

Glad to know we aren't alone.;) Someone has put some thought into it. LOL. Of course, I get called by your first name regularly, so that must be why we think alike.

goalieump413
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Honestly, that doesn't seem like a lot of time off. But, it does take away one more air conditioned cue line during the height of the hot summer season.

They do need to rebuild the cue line, as it's dated and getting worn down. They also, IMO, need to do something with the exit corridor. That space has been forgotten and needs a facelift.

lulubelle
05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I think the cue line is pretty cool. Lots of Star Wars characters and fun scenes. The exit cue is just an upward walkway with posters on the walls. I've seen much worse. But I am sure it will all be updated. We just rode this ride three days ago and I enjoyed it. :)

While on the train, we also heard the conductor announce the ride would be closing for a major update in August - that we should all ride it if we could before it shuts down. Glad to hear the updated version is definitely in the works.

danyoung
05-13-2010, 06:43 AM

It's more or less the same, with the 2nd room being a mirror image of the DL version.

Mr.Bear
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I heard they are putting in a loop and goat trick, but they are taking out the crab.:~D

kaybee2
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I heard they are putting in a loop and goat trick, but they are taking out the crab.:~D

Oh man, why do they have to take the crab out of every attraction these days? Before you know it, you'll be telling me that they're also taking out Old Dirty Bot too!:D

mstaft
05-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Star Tours is one of my least favorite "E" ticket attractions at the park. Maybe the new effects and the 3D will help. In general, I am not too fond of film based attractions- Soarin' Over California being the lone exception.

Tk421
05-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Definitely mixed feelings. One of my favorite rides and sad to see it go even if it is a little dated but the promise of something new that is Star Wars is something to be excite about. Hope I can catch one of the last flights the day it closes.

danyoung
05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Couldn't have put it better, Tk421 (love the handle, btw!).

wfgcarlos
05-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Im glad we're going June 5-12. I have a six year old that would go on that ride ALL DAY if we let him. Also TK421 why aren't you at your post? :p

BlkPearlCptn
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
also tk421 why aren't you at your post? :p

rofl!!

potzbie
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Yeah! -- Mix and match!
Just like Rivers of America, my favorite Disney scene in the Star Wars movies is the burning cabin on Tatooine!

Omnitographer
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
So I've heard talk about replacing the simulators with new ones that will have six degrees of freedom? Has this been confirmed officially?

Tk421
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah! -- Mix and match!
Just like Rivers of America, my favorite Disney scene in the Star Wars movies is the burning cabin on Tatooine!

Technically wouldn't it be a burning moisture farm on Tatooine?:eyeroll:

DisneyMouse
05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I have very sentimental reasons for not wanting Star Tours to close. My Dad and I both love Star Wars and, especially when I was little, the ride epitomized the Star Wars experience. Only my Dad would take me on it because everyone else in our family got motion sick, so for us it is a very special ride :) Yes, I actually cried at the D23 Expo when they announced it would be closing. We hoped to get to ride once more together but unfortunately that won't get to happen.

Oh, and as die hard Star Wars geeks, we do not like to acknowledge the prequels so having prequels replace original is a sad thing for us ;) lol but I suppose we will survive.

cstephens
05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I was in the Opera House on Sunday and noticed that there's a couple of things from the new version of "Star Tours" in the exhibit on the wall next to the large sideways map of Disneyland. There's a section called yesterday, today and tomorrow. In the "today" window, there's a little version of a sub, and in the "tomorrow" section, there's a little version of the Starspeeder, which they're presumably painting to a goldish-brown color. There's a picture of the Starspeeder in the middle of the pod race (the same picture in this week's MousePlanet DLR update), and there's also a picture of some drawings that seem to indicate they're also reworking Rex.

Jag XIX
05-19-2010, 11:39 AM
As part of the 501st Legion, we'd love the chance to wear our costumes within the part to help say "good bye" and "hello" when it reopens. Too bad Orlando (see their Star Wars days) and Anaheim have contrasting points of view.

I remember the three day "celebration" when StarTours opened. DL was open for 3 days straight (72 hours) and one ticket (wristband) got you in. They projected lasers and other images to rock and roll on the Matterhorn. A good time.

cstephens
05-19-2010, 11:52 AM
As part of the 501st Legion, we'd love the chance to wear our costumes within the part to help say "good bye" and "hello" when it reopens. Too bad Orlando (see their Star Wars days) and Anaheim have contrasting points of view.

You mean because they don't allow adults to wear costumes in the parks? I get why fans might be disappointed, but it's not a risk that Disney can take, to allow random people to dress in a way where they could be mistaken for official Disney employees.

kpcrone
05-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Rest in Peace Star Tours! :(