PDA

View Full Version : Old Spaghetti Factory at Downtown Disney

merlinjones
03-14-2003, 09:44 PM
That's what they need. A good meal in a fun, themed locale at family prices! Old Spaghetti Factory would make a ton of money at DTD ( in the old Yrriba building!)!

Laffite
03-14-2003, 09:52 PM
agreed.

Though I'm not sure how "family friendly" their prices will be. Renting a space in DTD must be unimaginably expensive.

Preston

merlinjones
03-14-2003, 09:59 PM
one word.... "volume!"

HBTiggerFan
03-14-2003, 10:10 PM
or a Cheesecake factory! YUMMMMM OR A spaghetti/Cheesecake Factory combo!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

:drool:

excuse me while I go march my butt over to the 5lbs thread

adriennek
03-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Ok, am I the only one underwhelmed by OSF?

We've been a few times and the portions weren't great, the quality wasn't amazing- it was ok- I'll go ahead and put it a step up from Applebees but still not worth the hype I seem to feel from people about it.

Adrienne K

innerSpaceman
03-15-2003, 07:04 AM
OSF doesn't really do it for me either.

Besides, I'm sure Naples has something in their contract that prohibits another Italian cuisine going in to DTD. Probably the same for all the restaurants, so remember - the new eatery has to have a cuisine that is so far not represented.

(I'm still holding out for Chinese)

IndianaJenn
03-15-2003, 08:13 AM
They are opening a Farrell's (!) this summer at The Block of Orange. DTD would have been a much better location!

:p

Andrew
03-15-2003, 09:47 AM
For a family-friendly (and moderately priced) Italian place, I'd prefer a Macaroni Grill (http://www.macaronigrill.com/). Or even a Buca di Beppo (http://www.bucadibeppo.com/) (as long as they get enough space to build a decently sized restaurant).

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Put in a Mcdonalds!

MammaSilva
03-15-2003, 10:51 AM
If they are going to put in a burger place.. why not In and Out or Sonic? They already have McD's inside DCA and sort of in Disneyland......we don't need more of it in DTD....but for those very reasons I'm sure we won't see any "burger" joint in there......

Tigertail777
03-15-2003, 11:23 AM
I have only eaten at the original OSF that started everything, and the one of its branches in the same state... but going by ours: you get bigger portions than you do at Olive Garden (not a LOT more, but it is bigger), I live the neverending bread loaf especially with the garlic butter, I like the salad (I do wish it was a bit bigger, and sometimes the dressing isnt the greatest, but hey its an appetizer its not supposed to fill you up). The spumoni at the end of the meal is a nice little touch. The food isnt super fabulous, but it is pretty darn good, and its filling. And I love the atmosphere, which is something you don't get at a lot of restaurants anymore. I sort of compare it to Blue Bayou, (except BB's food is slightly better in most cases, and in a few items it is far better) you are really eating there for the atmosphere and a decent meal.

cstephens
03-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
That's what they need. A good meal in a fun, themed locale at family prices! Old Spaghetti Factory would make a ton of money at DTD ( in the old Yrriba building!)!

Please, no. I can deal with the place because my husband likes it (mostly for the cheesebread), but we found an amazing authentic Italian place really close to where the OSF is near us, so we go there for Italian now rather than OSF. I do like their cheesebread, but I always found their spaghetti dishes and sauces to be very bland and ordinary.

And the old Y Arriba building is already taken.

dsnylndmom
03-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Oh god not a McDonalds please!

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-15-2003, 03:25 PM
I do NOT like McDonalds, I was just kidding :)

LifelongAngelsFan
03-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Mickeyslittlehelper
Put in a Mcdonalds!

They already did at DCA...yet another reason for its failure.

IndianaJenn
03-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

And the old Y Arriba building is already taken.

Really? What is going in there? How did I miss it?

By the way CTStephens .... cute cat! My cat Eddie looks just him!:D

Lani
03-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
If they are going to put in a burger place.. why not In and Out or Sonic?Nope, I don't ever see that happening -- not as long as Disney has a contract with McDonald's.

As for OSF in Downtown Disney, they may not be the best-tasting Italian place, but I think it's a really, really tremendous idea. They can move more people through their facility than any other sit-down restaurant I know. They have a limited menu that many people are already familiar with, the prices are good (even if it is inflated to Disney prices), and more than anything, they can handle tremendous volume.

-- Lani (who just came back from eating a late lunch at OSF!).

hgf1ower
03-15-2003, 07:03 PM
i'd love to see a bj's! pizookies are the best :)

Disneyfreak
03-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Peppinos Italian Restaurant all the way! They by far have the best italian in Orange County.

cstephens
03-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by IndianaJenn
Really? What is going in there? How did I miss it?

Here's the thread I started about that: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11904.

They still haven't started remodeling the outside yet, so there's still no projected opening date.

By the way CTStephens .... cute cat!

Thank you. Yes, she is a handful. She's getting into more and more things now, so we're having to move things as she discovers them. Like tonight, when she figured out how to jump on top of the refrigerator...

merlinjones
03-16-2003, 05:09 AM
>>As for OSF in Downtown Disney, they may not be the best-tasting Italian place, but I think it's a really, really tremendous idea. They can move more people through their facility than any other sit-down restaurant I know. They have a limited menu that many people are already familiar with, the prices are good (even if it is inflated to Disney prices), and more than anything, they can handle tremendous volume.<<

My thinking exactly. Whith large groups and kids, it's a perfect respite from all the price gouging.

I love that Mizithra Cheese, too.

LifelongAngelsFan
03-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
>>As for OSF in Downtown Disney, they may not be the best-tasting Italian place, but I think it's a really, really tremendous idea. They can move more people through their facility than any other sit-down restaurant I know. They have a limited menu that many people are already familiar with, the prices are good (even if it is inflated to Disney prices), and more than anything, they can handle tremendous volume.<<

My thinking exactly. Whith large groups and kids, it's a perfect respite from all the price gouging.

I love that Mizithra Cheese, too.

Further, those seeking more sophisticated Italian cuisine may find that at other DLR restaurants.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Personally, I've only been to the Sacramento location of OSF. Not bad; I've had worse chicken fettucini Alfredo, but I've also had better.

As far as inexpensive chain Italian restaurants, my favorite would have to be one that was started in San Francisco, by an Italian-born restauranteur who already owned an upscale restaurant, but wanted to recreate the inexpensive pasta restaurants he'd grown up with in Italy. The chain is called Pasta Pomodoro, and they just recently opened an Orange County location (their first SoCal location), right by the Gelson's grocery in Irvine.

Haven't actually been to that location, but I always dine at one of the many San Francisco locations whenever I visit SF.