PDA

View Full Version : Second fiddle to Tokyo

TheMur
03-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Oriental Land Company announced 2 new significant additions to Disney Sea.

Following is the link to the news article http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswire/2003/03/12/rtr905573.html

I wonder if the Disney board will notice that the stock price of the Oriental Land Company INCREASED with the announcement of significant investment in the park.

TerryTiger
03-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Or is it more like cheapening DisneySeas? That highly original park is now getting 2 copy-cat rides from other Disney Parks. A spinning roller coaster? That sounds to me like Triceratops Spin at DAK (aka Mulholland Madness with spinning seats). It is a cheap off-the-shelf carnival coaster. Does that belong in a park like DisneySeas??? And Tower of Terror will undoubtably be a copy of the versions currently being built in Anaheim and Paris to complete the quartet. This sounds more like OLC is getting in line with the current Disney corporate think. Not good.

wonderful
03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Let's see...
There are currently FOUR Big Thunder Mountains...
FOUR Haunted Mansions...
FOUR Pirates of the Caribbean...
THREE Splash Mountains...
Get the picture? Tower is a FANTASTIC attraction and absolutely deserves to share the likes of the "mountains" and other great attractions...
As for "cheapening" TDS, I believe their Indy is almost a replica of DL's, not to mention the entire Mermaid Lagoon is a collection of "cheap carnival rides"... as is every Fantasyland-- but it's the execution of these "cheap carnival rides" that sets them apart... I doubt OLC will inlist a "Dino Rama" or "Paradise Pier" motif...
In fact, I doubt ANY suggestion that OLC would put anything but the very best into their parks...
I only wish I had the same confidence in stateside parks...
Then again, there's always hope...

furbE95
03-14-2003, 04:24 PM
If you read the article carefully you would have noticed that the Tokyo ToT will be made "with heavy use of special effects."

Sounds like Tokyo will be getting a better tower than us. With our lack of a fifth dimension at the top (eventhough Tokyo appears to be getting one) or Tower will basically be a themed Supreme Scream.

Not only is Tokyo outbuilding us in terms of quantity, but apparently quality as well

JeffG
03-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
If you read the article carefully you would have noticed that the Tokyo ToT will be made "with heavy use of special effects."

Sounds like Tokyo will be getting a better tower than us. With our lack of a fifth dimension at the top (eventhough Tokyo appears to be getting one) or Tower will basically be a themed Supreme Scream.

That is a >major< stretch. I'd be pretty surprised if the Tokyo version is significantly different than the DCA version going in. Certainly, everything that has been stated about the DCA version has also clearly stated that it will make heavy use of special effects.

I'm surprised nobody has yet started calling OLC "desparate" since they have announced two new attractions after Tokyo DisneySea has been open less than 1 1/2 years. Isn't the conventional wisdom now that it represents desperation to add attractions to fairly new parks?

-Jeff

Kuzcotopia
03-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JeffG

Isn't the conventional wisdom now that it represents desperation to add attractions to fairly new parks?

Not when people start lining up outside the gates two hours before the park opens, and it is full to capacity by noon.

On a Tuesday.

In the rain.

The above happened to me at Tokyo DisneySea. DCA has never turned away a guest because of being at capacity, and that park is a fraction of the size of TDS.

DCA wouldn't look as bad by comparison if it had at least ONE attraction at the level of Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Stormrider, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or Sinbad.

True, Aladdin is a good show. But TDS opened with The Little Mermaid (which blows Aladdin away), Encore! and Mystic Rythyms. And those are just the Broadway-style shows.

Kuzcotopia
03-15-2003, 06:13 PM
TerryTiger,

Where do you get that this will be a cheap, off-the-shelf carnival coaster?

The press-release states that a 67.8 million dollar looping coaster is being built, with special effects including fire and water.

How is that like Triceritops spin (Do you mean Primeval Whirl?)?

8 Billion Yen is a LOT of money. This is not a Wild Mouse coaster.

YellowMan
03-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Maybe you guys should at least look at this picture of the Tower of Terror at TDS before immediately going into critical mode.
http://www.olc.co.jp/news_parts/20030312.jpg
Now that looks very, very good to me! And Tower of Terror is one of the only rides that I don't mind getting cloned around.

I am also certain that their coaster will be done to perfection unlike its cousins in America. The OLC has yet to disappoint me (in fact they usually surprise me) in their commitment to quality and it seems to be paying off very nicely for them, as is seen by the fact that they can afford a major addition only 1.5 years after opening.