PDA

View Full Version : First Time Disneyland Advice

ash_eng
07-28-2001, 03:10 PM
Hi Guys

I've booked my trip to the USA for three weeks in September and am starting with 4 days at DLR. This will be my first trip (hopefully of many) to DL. I have visited DLP several times and am looking forward to visiting the original Magic Kingdom.

I am travelling by myself and staying in the HI youth hostel in Fullerton. I would like as much advise as possible from all you experienced DL visitors.

I plan on bringing a lunch with me and buying one meal a day in the parks, what would you recomend as good value.

Also what order would you do the attractions in, big ones in the morning and evening (as I do at DLP)?

Also have any of you done either of the two tours offered. I am interesting in the "In Walts Footsteps" tour as I am very interested in the history of DL and especially the architecture.

Any other important tips or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Feel free to email me at
ashley-england@bigfoot.com

Ash+

Wackokid
07-28-2001, 03:16 PM
use the single rider line for Indy (but make sure to use fastpass at least once so you can look at the queue)
make sure you get on Space Mountain when the music is working it adds a lot to the ride
get on Splash early the line can fill up pretty quick

DisneylandKid
07-28-2001, 04:16 PM
Sometimes this works, but go on the rides surrounding the parade route (Matterhorn, etc.) during parade times.

I'm not sure if DLP has the Blue Bayou, but I'd eat there at least once. Redd Rockett's Pizza Port/Tomorrowland, Rancho del Zocalo/Frontierland, etc. are good places to eat.

See the later Fantasmic, it is normally less crowded.

Briarose710
07-28-2001, 10:51 PM
Best place to eat if you visit 'California Adventure" in my opinion is "Tatse pilots grill" it's in the condor flats area . I say this its like ribs and burgers BUt You get a pretty fair amount of food so most pople say its the best value.

07-29-2001, 05:56 AM
The later in the day, the longer the lines.

Matterhorn Fan
07-29-2001, 06:51 AM
Get there at opening, and head straight for Indy & Splash Mtn.

Plan to spend the hottest (and most crowded) hours of the afternoon shopping (air conditioned), on Tom Sawyer Island, watching shows (FL Theater, Golden Horseshoe, Main Street Cinema, Country Bears), and/or hanging out at the DL Hotel/DTD.

When the queues in Fantasyland get long, it's all in the sun. Best to do FL before 10 AM.

Carry a water bottle.

John-311
07-29-2001, 03:33 PM
I can tell you want to go cheap because you're staying in a youth hostel, so a lot of those restaurants are most likely out of the question for you (I.E. Redd Rockett's slice of pizza is around $4). But about going on rides and such, we always get there before opening, then go on Indiana Jones first, then usually Space Mountain (DL's Space Mountain probably stinks compared to DLP's SP), then Matterhorn, and by that time the lines start getting bigger, so its your choice. Check out plenty of Disneyland fan sites/travel sites for tips. Anyway, have fun!

EandCDad
07-29-2001, 04:21 PM
Bringing your lunch is a great idea. Is your reason for buying one meal in the parks because you want the "park experience?" If not, then you can always leave the parks and Downtown Disney and walk across the street to some of the local restaurants including (I think) a McDonalds, IHOP (pancakes), Tony Romas, and others. If finances are a big issue, you will get a much better value at any of these places.

As far as rides, two suggestions, if you want to ride Peter Pan (I know you are an adult but some people prefer these types of rides) ride it first thing. Also, ALWAYS use fastpass for Autopia, ALWAYS. Don't be fooled by line size, always use fastpass.

I second the water bottle recommendation.

mad4mky
07-30-2001, 07:46 AM
I went on the "Walking in Walt's Footsteps" Tour back in February. It was a horrible, rainy day....
But I was so glad I went! What a great tour. There were obviously a lot of things I already knew...which I'm sure, you will too...But some of the things I found out were quite interesting. I just hope you get as good a tour guide as we had. He was enthusiastic, knowedgeable, and it was so obvious that he loved Disneyland, and admired Walt greatly.
I recommend you take the tour...:)

Mburk
07-30-2001, 12:40 PM
You didn't say when in September you will be visiting, but I am also taking my first trip to DL September 8-11. I was disappointed to read elsewhere on MousePlanet that Splash, Fantasmic, and HM will be closed during our trip. Definitely want to take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour!

ash_eng
07-30-2001, 01:47 PM
THanks everyone all the tips were excelent, esp the food outside disney as I hadn't thought of that.

I will be deffinately be taking the Walt Tour

I am slightly disapointed that so much will be closed especailly fantasmic, but i guess it's en excuse for another trip in a few years.

I will be arriving on 11th and my first day in DL will be the 12th so we just miss each other MBURK.

Thanks again
Ash+