PDA

View Full Version : Mickey now talks in Toontown

Pages : [1] 2 3

Smorri
05-05-2010, 06:46 AM
I didn't notice this posted here yet. The meet and greet with Micky in Toontown now features a talking Micky. Here (http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-news/theme-parks/mickey-mouse-begins-chatting-guests-disneylands-toontown-literally/) is the link to the original story (with video).

I can see the lines doubling for the foreseeable future.

houseofmouse
05-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't know about this! Part of me thinks it's cute but part of me thinks I want to run away screaming!! I don't want to have to talk to the characters. I am sure the little little kids will love it. :)

AJDerrick
05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Wow...

Ok, so it looks surprisingly good. But how to you explain to a kid that when you see Mickey on Main Street he won't talk, but in TT he does? And I miss the kissing noise...that was one of my favorite things. Are they doing this all the time now?

Anyone else having Teddy Ruxpin flashbacks?

cookie7762
05-05-2010, 07:48 AM
I agree.... WOW!

I truly expected it to be very unconvincing with a mouth that doesn't move and the sounds coming from an external speaker, but that was pretty darn good.

I agree about the confusion, too though. I hope kids don't get confused about why ALL the characters don't talk.

I kinda want to go meet Mickey now :)!

Chadsgal
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh WOW!!! My Famliy & I have always wondered if this day would come because they have the technoligy to do this & it is GREAT to see it happening. I bet they'll keep it to toon town. Kinda like the whole Pixie Hallow is the only place you can see Tink & talk to them. My DS, who is almost 4, would be so shocked to hear Mickey say his name.

Tan Da Man
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
wow...that looks absolutely terrifing

Mr.Bear
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I’m sad to see this happen. Part of the magic is being able to talk with Mickey and friends without them talking. I was a mascot in a bear costume at Grateful Dead shows for 6 years and not talking was a big part of it. It is amazing how much you can communicate with people by just a wiggle or tilt of the head. A voice takes away some of the magic that can only happens with imagination. Of course there is a different magic between a person wearing a Mickey costume talking and Mickey talking in a movie or cartoon. Then again nothing is pernament and everything changes. Keeps smiling and enjoy the ride.

MouseEaredJedi
05-05-2010, 09:54 AM
WOW!!! That's amazing! It seems so much more real with Mickey actually talking and not miming everything. I might actually talk my friend into stopping by Mickey's place to see this...though he may run away screaming LOL.

Nikara
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm definitely torn between terror and amazement. It's pretty incredible seeing how good the interaction actually is. The kids seem amazed that Mickey is actually talking to them. It definitely makes the experience more personal. However, it is such a huge change from what we are used to, and I'm not sure how I would personally react to seeing it. I would definitely be startled the first time!

Does anyone know if this happens no matter what door you go into in Mickey's house?

Smorri
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I think from a kid's perspective it is awesome. I would think the non-talking giant Mickey would be more frightening than one that speaks with that familiar voice. I can't wait to take my 5 year old daughter. She was always shy at this meet and greet. But with Mickey talking to her with a voice she knows, I think she'll have much more fun interacting with him. :)

jlanut
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
is it bad at 32 years old, I can't wait to hear for Mickey to say name :D

ChurroGirl
05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
The illusion is gone. For me atleast. I do not like this at all, Mickey "on stage" IMHO should not talk.

I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

TowerofTerror
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I DONT THINK MCKEY MOUSE SHOULD TALK AT ALL I agree with Churrogirl

IllusionOfLife
05-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I can understand some of the knee-jerk reactions that people are having here, it's a big change and change is a scary thing, but at the same time some of your comments are a bit ridiculous.

Part of the magic is being able to talk with Mickey and friends without them talking

Really, so bringing the characters to life is only magical if they are mute? The magic of the characters in the parks is taking the characters you love out of the movies and transporting them to the real world. Voices and interactivity just adds to that, it's the same reason Turtle Talk with Crush is so magical. By your logic the face characters should all have their lips glued shut and Turtle Talk with Crush should just be the audience talking to an unresponsive screen.

I understand your point about the extra skill it requires to act without a voice, but the voice doesn't make it any less magical, it just makes it easier for kids especially to accept.

The illusion is gone… I do not like this at all, Mickey "on stage" IMHO should not talk.

Again, I fail to see how this ruins the illusion. By enhancing the effect and adding a core characteristic of interactivity they're ruining the experience? That's like saying the original Rocket to the Moon was way better than Mission: Space because it was less sophisticated, or even that the original 1955 costumes were better because they were more simple.

The characters talk, it's what they do. So why shouldn't they be able to talk in the park? No one has problems with face characters talking, and the Muppet Mobile Labs, no one seems to have a problem with that, and Turtle Talk with Crush is a similar concept and it's one of the most beloved attractions at DCA; so what is one good reason why the other characters can't talk and be just as interactive?

olegc
05-06-2010, 07:19 AM
what definitely happens now is all of the gestures and highly-animated actions of Mickey is not necessary since he can talk. so it will be more of standing around and less action. To me, and my years of interaction of the characters, this takes a lot away. There is no need now for Mickey to be wide-armed and waving with high-energy. why bother?

Drince88
05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Has anyone seen anything other than reports from random guests who happen to "get" this Mickey?

IllusionOfLife
05-06-2010, 07:25 AM
what definitely happens now is all of the gestures and highly-animated actions of Mickey is not necessary since he can talk. so it will be more of standing around and less action. To me, and my years of interaction of the characters, this takes a lot away. There is no need now for Mickey to be wide-armed and waving with high-energy. why bother?

Ok, there's a legitimate point. But for this I think it just comes down to the actor who's playing the character at the time. As we've seen with face characters and cast members in general, some play the part really well and some don't. Having a voice will probably be a crutch for many of the weaker actors at the park, but I think the stronger ones will use it to good effect. Again, the face characters can talk, but more often than not, they still have broad exaggerated movements and really play up the part. Exaggerated movement is a huge part of stage acting and fortunately Disneyland has a much bigger talent pool for actors than say Disney World does.

I'd be much more concerned about that aspect in Orlando than in Anaheim.

MousePlanet AutoPoster
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Some lucky Disneyland park guests experienced a very special meet and greet with Mickey Mouse this week.

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DisneyParks/~3/FWxuAt7nbnE/)

AVP
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
A couple of quick notes. This was a test, not a new addition to Toontown, so don't rush down to see Mickey talk. (Several people (including me) tried yesterday and were disappointed...) Guests selected to meet Mickey were picked from the line, and had to sign waivers.

AVP

rfaljean
05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I just watched the video and think the testing is awesome. Mickey was sweet and gentle and just as animated as ever. The articulation of his mouth was smooth and seemed so natural. His eyes blinked and his gestures were still animated yet now easier to understand. Watching it gave me goosebumps. It's nice to see that Disney magic is unlimited.

One of the shows at Disneyworld uses "talking" characters, I wonder if that's where Disney may be going with this testing?

mkraemer
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
This seems to be a logical next step after the technology in Turtle Talk with Crush.

*I* think it's fascinating.

I wonder, though, how children who are afraid of characters will react; will it be reassuring for Mickey to talk to them or will they be more terrified?

IllusionOfLife
05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I wonder, though, how children who are afraid of characters will react; will it be reassuring for Mickey to talk to them or will they be more terrified?

I think it'll really just depend on the kid. Some kids I'm sure will loosen up once they hear the familiar and friendly voice, but other kids wouldn't go near that six-foot mouse even if it offered them cookies :p

Hannahbelle
05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Its a sign of the times. Disney is always going to try newer, bigger, and better things.
This is the reason that I can tell people time and time again, "No, I never get sick of Disneyland; they always have something new to see.":D
I think it's very cool; it will be interesting to see if it is something they will go for or if they will keep it the way it has been.
And I agree with IllusionOfLife, some kids are gonna run screaming!
My daughter wouldn't go near any of the characters without a "face" until she was almost five.

woody9six
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't think it ruins the illusion at all. Quite the opposite. Every place my kids see Mickey Mouse he is chatting and funny and affable except when they see him at Disneyland.

DaDuckFan1955
05-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Cool...............