PDA

View Full Version : What happens when it rains?

miepanda
03-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Question for those who know:

What rides do they shut down when it rains? I heard that that there's a likely chance of rain possibly Saturday and most likely Sunday. Is there any other information I should know re: rain at DLR? Thanks!

Lani
03-13-2003, 10:08 AM
They sometimes shut down Alice in Wonderland because the exterior track gets too slippery for the ride units to ride correctly.

jrad32
03-13-2003, 10:12 AM
If it rains it's your lucky day. Disneyland in the rain is the best. Lines shorten up as people afraid of melting head for cover.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Just remember to bring a raincoat with either a hood or a sou'wester (an umbrella would be a safety hazard on a thrill ride). Rainy weather is ideal for water rides like Splash Mountain or GRR, since the lines will be shorter, and you'll be dressed for it.

In fact, I may be there myself, if it's a rainy weekend. I still haven't tried GRR; nor have I been on Splash Mountain since the refit.

DCA will most likey cancel the Electrical Parade, though: there are places along the parade route where it's just too slippery when wet, and the bigger floats just spin their wheels.

refurbmike
03-13-2003, 10:45 AM
When I first saw this topic "What happens when it rains?",
I thought... "It gets wet."

Anyway... they usually close down Alice. They'll test the car in the morning and if it can't make it up the first ramp, it goes 100.

They also test Tea Cups before opening on a rainy day. The water can leak through and make the machinery REALLY loud and abnoxious when they run it.

Star Tours frequently has problems, since there are sensors on the ramps outside the simulator (to make sure nobody is on them during the ride). Often during rainy days, the carpet gets heavy enough to trigger these sensors - however, they may have fixed this problem (probably by turning up the tolerance level).

Also, Believe is usually cancelled, depending on how early it rains. Remember it takes time to load the cannons, so even if it stops raining hours before the show, they can still be cancelled - since they either can't dry them off in time or simply don't have the time to load them.

I believe they close down some River crafts during the rain, but since it is closed anyway... you don't need to worry about that.

Lastly, I don't think they'll run some of the Main St vehicles during the rain either.

I think that's about. Enjoy your trip - I'll be there this weekend, so hope the weather is good, for both of us!

Morrigoon
03-13-2003, 11:32 AM
It's best if you get a downpour early, like until noon.

Laffite
03-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
It's best if you get a downpour early, like until noon.

OOHHHHH. That is a -dream- day at DL :)

Disneyfreak
03-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Big Thunder is closed during heavy rain. Dont think matterhorn is ever closed because it was designed to be a wet roller coaster.

MonorailMan
03-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Went to DL on my B-Day. What an experience.

The best part was, when I was on BTMR, as just as we were going up the first lift hill, it started to pour, and the train was full. Dang did we go fast! You could hear the block breaks behind us hiss. :)

The worst part, was that the IASM boats had like 2" of water in them. :)

Also, Space leaks. I saw some dropping water, falling near the FX1. :)

DisneyFan25863
03-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Somtimes they run "Mickey's Rainy Day Parade".

Or do they? I can't remember, I haven't been to the park in ages:(

Sophie832
03-15-2003, 12:17 AM
I'll tell you what happens when it rains...say, like Sat. (tomorrow, well, actually tonight) night.

On Rod's last Saturday before he'll be gone for at least 4 weeks, he and all the piano-loving fans will have to move inside Coke Corner where the floor gets slippery so no one can dance, and people keep walking through to get food, and there aren't any umbrellas to spin (although, there is one ceiling fan). Bummer.

No Believe.

Swing dancing will be moved to the Golden Horseshoe...not necessarily a bad thing, but the atmosphere isn't really akin to a ballroom...more like an old west saloon.

Oh well...I'm hoping for early rain.

BTW, yes, they still run Mickey's "rainy-day" parade. It can be a crack-up for those of us that are always at the park, but it's a bummer if you actually came to see the parade.

Ace
03-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
OOHHHHH. That is a -dream- day at DL :)

That hapenned to me last time I went. It rained heavily until about noon, and from then on the longest wait I had was Casey Jr. since I got there right as the train was leaving. So, however long the ride is, that's how long I waited.

Lambysheep
03-15-2003, 07:04 PM
What's Mickey's Rainy Day Parade? Is that a joke?

DisneyFan25863
03-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Lambysheep
What's Mickey's Rainy Day Parade? Is that a joke?

Nope, it's a real parade. We might head down there tomorrow and take some pics of it if it's running. I'll post the pics on my webpage if we do ;)

Sophie832
03-16-2003, 03:37 AM
Here's a brief description of Mickey's Rainy-Day "Parade", which was running Saturday:

Basically, there are two cars, and a bus (although, I've seen it with just the bus) running down Main St. The music for the "parade" isn't the usual...I'm really not sure what the song is, but it sounds like something from a Disney promo ad in the '80s. On Saturday, the first car had Mickey and Minnie in it, the second had Donald and Daisy, and the bus had a wide assortment of characters. The bus can be interesting sometimes because it has characters I think they've had locked up for years. This time I saw Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, Roger Rabbit, and Robin Hood! Other than staring at those amazing characters that don't see much action around the park, the "parade" is pretty lame. Oh well...they gotta do something when it rains.

dsnylndmom
03-16-2003, 10:39 AM
We went when it was raining back in november, it rained hard all morning, we were in the room and by 11am it was just sprinkling, by midafter noon it was just a drizzle. It was almost like we had the parks to ourselves! Got to go on Space 2x in a row!! Were able to do all the Fantasyland rides(even Peter Pan)over and over and BTMR was open and we got to ride that twice two! Plus this was during the Nightmare before Christmas time for HM and we just walked right on.

Also, Believe! was going, it was just so foggy you could barely see it, no parades though.

The only bad part was going on Screamin' and it starting to rain again, that rain hurts when it pelts you in the face while you're riding that ride!!

:) Tina

rexfarms
03-16-2003, 11:37 AM
I thought Rod was going to be gone for 6 weeks? 4 weeks is better though. :D

Durliin
03-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Big Thunder is closed during heavy rain. Dont think matterhorn is ever closed because it was designed to be a wet roller coaster.

Big Thunder is not Closed during Heavy Rain I was working there yesterday we had 3 Trains on and No line and Crazy poeple who kept riding over and over again.... dont know why not a big fan of water hitting me in the face at 30 mph oh well.... last big storm we had Thunder CLosed only for the fact there is no Drainage in the area right now becasue ROA is on a rehab and we had a lake in one of the Lift Hill areas with water covering one of the sensors

in Rain situations ALice Teacups Mainstreet vehicels Tarzans Treehouse and Tom Sawyers Island CLose...

Jungle Was close yesterday becasue the water level got to High and due to the Rivers of america being closed the Jungle had no where to drain there water...