PDA

View Full Version : An American Institution

pokeypoke
03-11-2003, 03:19 PM
This is just my personal thought and observation but..., why does it seem that most Annual Passholders and Disney fanatics seem to complain or be so critical when it comes to Disneyland or the Disneyland Resort? For example, the recent negative threads of the upcoming "Pooh" ride, which hasen't even opened yet. True, even I have made my own opinion on this attraction based on my experiences of comparing it to WDW and TD's version and of the articles I have read. The "average" guest who will experience this attraction once it is opened, will more than likely come off the attraction thinking "Oh, that was cute" rather than picking the ride apart and being critical.

So why are the rest of us SO critical?! Even though I am not an AP, I think I know why and I can relate to how they think.

Compared to the "average" guest, most AP's visit the park regularly. With this in mind, they tend to notice the details such as quality decline, needed repairs, overdue rehabs, peeling paint and such. A first time visitor will more than likely have a magical and wonderful experience where as someone who sees the park on a daily, weekly or monthly basis will start to notice the "magic" isn't so magical anymore. I know this, for I was a cast member at DL and a lead at WDW in the mid 80's through early 90's and I saw the parks everyday. Most guest are at the park for a limitted amount of time and do not take time to notice every single thing that is wrong, lacks improvement or is less than acceptable because they are having fun.

The main reason we are critical is because Disneyland is an American Insitution. It is an American landmark. It is the original theme park. We love and treasure the park that Walt built and we want to preserve all the ideas, thoughts and dreams that Walt Disney based his "Magic Kingdom" upon. DL is a place where you are supposed to leave the outside world and it's problems behind the birm and gates of the park. In order to achieve this, DL must remain fresh, imaginative and original with high qualities of standards in order to bring the experience and magic alive. We MUST NOT let the preservation of this idea DECLIne! This, my friends, is why a lot of people have a negative 'tude towards the way Disney currently thinks and operates "The Happiest Place on Earth"

Pokey

Morrigoon
03-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Let's see if I can describe this in brief terms:

The average guest comes to DL for a day, they have some good experiences and some bad. Because they're there for only a day, they don't stop to think about and categorize what made for a good experience, and what made for a bad one. At the end of the day, their impression of the park is a kind of average of the values they assign (subconsciously) to the good and bad experiences they've had. Based on that impression (average), they make decisions about when, if ever, they choose to return. Your average day guest will not be able to describe WHY the park is less magical in 2003 than it was in 1983, and may even chalk it up to nostalgia or the effects of youth on a person's impressions. Perhaps some of this is true. Or perhaps, the park really isn't as magical anymore. But the average guest can't pinpoint why. The AP has a high level of dedication to that idea of magic, and spends a great deal of time experiencing it, and taking time to enjoy every little aspect of it. The AP can actually pinpoint what is enjoyable about something, and what could be improved. We also know what has changed from 1983 and 2003. What have we lost, what have we gained? We've experienced each enough to make an informed comparison without relying on shady memories of a single trip (which is rarely even enough of an experience to remember the name of an attraction, let alone the particulars).

We spend our time talking about these things in hopes that people involved will read it and use the information for the betterment of the park and company, to the benefit of all.

merlinjones
03-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Applause for Morrigoon's thesis.

The average Disney consumer may not be able to articulate the "why's", but they know when something "isn't the same".

That is what we are witnessing in the general marketplace these days, a reaction to that missing something at Disney...

AliKzam
03-12-2003, 05:13 PM
I agree, but it's obviously not just the AP-holders. If you visit frequently (like once a year- like me!), or if you're a cast member, or if you pay attention to the goings-on of the park via online, you tend to become a bit of an expert. Consequently, you tend to become a bit of a critic.
It's like when I became an actor. When I was in drama in high school and junior college, I had a lot of fun. But when I went to an acting conservatory, I got mad because they basically told me I sucked. But I learned and worked hard on improving my performance. After I graduated, I got into extra work. I've worked on a lot of shows, some that are really great pieces of work, but many that are great pieces of something else. I've also judged some talent competitions and have been able to see what makes a performance work and what makes one stink. So, yeah, I'd say I'm a bit of an expert from experience. But just a bit.
It's the same way with Disneyland. If you go there a lot, read up on it's news and it's history, or work there and experience it everyday, you gain the knowledge of what their capable of. And with that knowledge, you see the good and the bad.
THAT'S why people get bitter, here. THAT'S why people write here and other sites and say "I can't believe you're so mean! I love the park!" Well, who doesn't? Odds are that person is in denial about their negative oppinions. Disneyland's just going through a bad time, right now.
It's a lot like when you're raised by parents who are one political party, and as you grow up you discover that another political patry's ideas may not be so evil. You may not like it, but it's there, plain as day.
Anyway, SAVE THE PARK!

pokeypoke
03-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Thank you all for your insight. I appreciate it. Also, please forgive me if I seemed to have only picked on Annual Passholders. I was just using them as an example because I assume they are the ones who probably visit the park more than others.

Again
Thanks,

POKEY