PDA

View Full Version : AP Newsletter Discontinued?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kim
04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I for one have always enjoyed getting the AP Newsletter in the mail. Realizing I hadn't received one in quite sometime, I went to the AP section of the DLR website, and saw they still have the Winter '09 newsletter up....does anyone know if there are plans to continue publishing the newsletter?

janell
04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Thats sad, I too have always enjoyed them. I didn't realize they stop coming, because for what ever reason, I stop getting them last year, although DH got his. Weird. Im sure it has to do with the economy and cut backs. Its happening everywhere. Hopefully when things get better, they will do the newsletter again. It would be nice if they offered them online and if someone wanted to print it they could or just save the pdf on their computer. I always keep my old ones. :)

TowerofTerror
04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I loved the newsletter also that came in the mail. i think they should have it available on the website instead. Hey maybe they keep us informed by doing podcast more often

CADisneyGirl
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
My daughter and I have been AP's since 12/08 and have never gotten a newsletter in the mail. I end up just reading what's new online. Wish I did get the newsletter in the mail because that would have been better. Maybe it's because we turned down the free magazine but we didn't want something that we weren't going to use and just throw away.

DaDuckFan1955
04-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Disney Marketing must have been laid off recently?

Kim
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
I probably should have clarified...it actually doesn't matter so much to me that I don't receive the newsletter via snail-mail anymore...I would LOVE to read it online...but they haven't updated it since Christmas. Was just hoping someone had some insight :)

Kim
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Maybe, eh?

potzbie
04-25-2010, 12:43 AM

Good point.
When cutting costs, newsletters are typically the easiest thing to trim.
Postage being what it is, it is an easy target.
What was monthly becomes quarterly; what was quarterly becomes semi-annually.
Don't be surprised if the next issue only appears when a new ride/attraction is about to open.

olegc
04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Good point.
When cutting costs, newsletters are typically the easiest thing to trim.
Postage being what it is, it is an easy target.
What was monthly becomes quarterly; what was quarterly becomes semi-annually.
Don't be surprised if the next issue only appears when a new ride/attraction is about to open.

Disney's seasons are off from what everyone else feels they are. In the past the Spring issue would come out sometime in May - with some things in April and some in the newsletter and you'd be left scratching your head.

I think for this year since WoC is coming and Summer Nightastic will be pushed again they may have forgone a spring issue and simply will focus on summer.

Then again, I would not be surprised if as others have said they simply discontinued it. Nothing official from DLR, of course, but that's probably intentional. Would you want to be the recipient of thousands of emails and calls when an official announcement came out.

I would gladly stick with online newsletters or email notices if it were at least consistent. Seems to be somewhat regular now but just last year it was hit and miss.

Of course - they can always just say Join D23 ad you'll get all your Disney news. IMHO this is the direction. APs will simply be admission media and discounts. There won't be a whole program around it with announcements and newsletters. This will, essentially, force you to D23. Again, nothing official, but it's my opinion.

mechurchlady
04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
The newsletter was something you could carry with you and for my Mom something that she could read and be informed. I really would like the newsletter back as she is so out of the loop on park info. I would be able to show her the new stuff easier also.

Malcon10t
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Disney's seasons are off from what everyone else feels they are. In the past the Spring issue would come out sometime in May - with some things in April and some in the newsletter and you'd be left scratching your head.

I think for this year since WoC is coming and Summer Nightastic will be pushed again they may have forgone a spring issue and simply will focus on summer. .
Right, I remember last years "Fall" newsletter came out in late November, and the summer was in late August. So, before starting a "discontinued" rumor, I would wait another month, as it is usually out in mid May.

ScottC4746
04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I for one have always enjoyed getting the AP Newsletter in the mail. Realizing I hadn't received one in quite sometime, I went to the AP section of the DLR website, and saw they still have the Winter '09 newsletter up....does anyone know if there are plans to continue publishing the newsletter?

They might as well. They "claim" they are being mailed, but I have not received one in a number of issues. You can always go on line to view it.

houseofmouse
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
While I get the please don't spread rumors thing, it is strange that soooo many people are not getting them anymore and the online one is still holiday.
I got a total of 2 the whole 2 years I had my AP. I am getting an AP again so it will be interesting to see if I get them.
My mom has not gotten one in over a year.:crying:

sjhanksaz
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
With the upgrade in AP prices Disney should be able to crank out these at least quarterly.

Save the paper and just post them on line.

woody9six
05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, the issue that is currently online states that the next issue will feature The World of Color...so i would assume that they are planning on another issue.

olegc
05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
it's apparent, though, that the Disney Insider newsletter, as well as the D23 newsletter, both in email, are taking some of the place of what you would find in the AP newsletter on paper (or PDF online). The Disney parks blogs as well seem to be providing some of that "insider" stuff that used to be featured in the AP newsletter.

I hope that some Disney-focused 3rd party news site (hint hint) could get some time to discuss all of the different avenues of communcations coming out of the resort and, well, try to make some sense of the strategy (besides the shotgun approach).

potzbie
05-06-2010, 05:40 AM
This might be a clue.

The Disneyland web site now has a HELLO newsletter.
What is this thing?

Anyway, since I've never seen this exclusively on-line HELLO newsletter before, and since no one (or fewer APers) are getting the AP newsletter, then maybe this HELLO newsletter will be the primary source of new stuff.

I clipped the web site's description.

Welcome to a glimpse inside the enchantment of the Disneyland® Resort. Each monthly issue of HELLO puts you inside the magic — as only Disney can — for attraction and show previews, special interviews, not-to-be-missed events and more!

olegc
05-06-2010, 07:27 AM
This might be a clue.

The Disneyland web site now has a HELLO newsletter.
What is this thing?

Anyway, since I've never seen this exclusively on-line HELLO newsletter before, and since no one (or fewer APers) are getting the AP newsletter, then maybe this HELLO newsletter will be the primary source of new stuff.

I clipped the web site's description.

For those who want to see it - this newsletter is not on the disneyland main page. You must click the My Disneyland link, log in with your Disney.com ID (or register), and then once the page opens there is a link offered for the newsletter. My take is this is a holdover of what the DisneyParks folks were trying to force Disneyland fans and propsective guests to have a similar web experience to WDW's travel site.

CariBelle
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
My daughter and I have been AP's since 12/08 and have never gotten a newsletter in the mail. I end up just reading what's new online. Wish I did get the newsletter in the mail because that would have been better. Maybe it's because we turned down the free magazine but we didn't want something that we weren't going to use and just throw away.

Newsletter = AP magazine

olegc
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Newsletter = AP magazine

no, I think CADisneyGirl is talking about when the AP program stopped publishing the Disney magazine and instead offered subscriptions to FamilyFun or another magazine. I think that's what she turned down. The newsletter (Backstage Pass) started publishing a few months after the discontinued Disney magazine.

CariBelle
05-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Ah. Gotcha. I don't ever remember anything besides the Backstage Pass in the last 5 years so I must have either been too late or missed out :)

Malcon10t
05-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I still get Family Fun. Or at least I got one a couple months ago. I usually give it to kids. I got my last Backstage Pass (winter) in mid Feb. I figure the Spring one will show up later this month.

disney42dude
05-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Well, the issue that is currently online states that the next issue will feature The World of Color...so i would assume that they are planning on another issue.

For Backstage Pass, it appears they're following the same pattern as last year...3 issues: Summer (Nightastic), Fall (Halloweentime) and Winter (Holiday). That'd be my guess. The AP website, says it's published, but not specifically how many times per year.

CapnJackSavvy
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Everything is now done via the AP website except most of the news on their doesn't change. The only other newsletter that I know of comes through the Disney CC. Chase I think is now the current owner.

I also miss Disney magazine!!:crying:

codewoman
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Chase I think is now the current owner.

Aaauuuugggghhhhhh! :eek: