PDA

View Full Version : Woodsman Spare Those Trees!

odnamraortsac
03-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Woodsman spare those trees? Itīs a little late for the four "mature" trees surrounding the flagpole on Main Streetīs Town Square. Last week all four were uprooted and replaced by four smaller trees. The whole area looks rather barren now. I imagine it looks alot like the area did when the park was first opened in 1955. I suppose the old trees were reaching the end of their "lifecycle" and it was time to replace them in time for the 50th Anniversary. But I wonder how many trees on Tom Sawyerīs island are about the same age? Will they also meet the same fate?

Alex S.
03-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Part of it probably depends on the likelihood of the tree either falling over on people or dropping large branches. I believe that the back area of Jungle Cruise occassionally loses a trea, but it isn't such a big deal since nobody is back there. A lot of the trees on TSI are probably the same.

But considering the incident of a couple years ago, I'm sure they are pretty wary of aging trees in highly trafficed areas.

cemeinke
03-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Generally I prefer mature trees to saplings, but I have to say switching out the trees in Townsquare seems to have improved the sightlines from the train station to the castle.

Now the trees I would really like to see moved are the tall ones between the Castle and the Matterhorn which destroy the perspective of the castle when viewed from Frontierland.

Polar33
03-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
But considering the incident of a couple years ago, I'm sure they are pretty wary of aging trees in highly trafficed areas.

I was working in the immediate area of that tree that day. I actually worked on the popcorn wagon that got crushed a few days before, it used to be one of my favorite locations. There were a few other trees that fell down prior to that one, but that one was the only widely publisized one and it sent TDA a wakeup call.

I applaud Disneyland Horticulture for replacing the trees, and I'm glad to know that they are still keeping up on the issue.

Matterhorn Fan
03-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Now the trees I would really like to see moved are the tall ones between the Castle and the Matterhorn which destroy the perspective of the castle when viewed from Frontierland. Not to mention that at least one of those trees is (was?) taller than the Matterhorn, which destroys the perspective of the Matterhorn. I am willing to accept that a tree could be taller than a castle, but I doubt there are many trees taller than a Swiss Alp. ;)

cemeinke
03-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Disney needs some genetic imagineers to create a forced-perspective tree.

Morrigoon
03-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Uh... bonzai?