PDA

View Full Version : Question/Problem with Donald

Pages : [1] 2 3

Howry
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
One of my regular customers and his wife went to disneyland for the first time a few months back. Being from Oregon and big Oregon Duck fans they were excited to get their picture with Donald Duck.

They wait in the line to get there picture like everyone else when they they get up to him. His wife is wearing her "I love my Ducks" Tee shirt.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:HQ9_WtngE0mp_M:http://www.founditemclothing.com/itgoesto11/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/i-love-my-ducks-shirt-oregon-oregon-state.jpg
He is wearing his Oregon Ducks Hat.

They walk up to get their picture with him and he starts shaking his head NO. They smile thinking he is kidding. He keeps shaking his head no and then starts waving them away. They still keep standing there thinking he is kidding as a big line of people continue to wait for them. Finally Donald walks about 10 feet away and crosses his arms shaking his head No still. After about a min of him standing there he finally starts to walk off with his handlers following behind.

Any idea why the Duck would shun them? My only assumption was because of what they were wearing? Anyone have any idea if this is a Disney Issue because of the Oregon Duck? We are taking our kids to Disneyland in October and I certainly dont want my kids treated this way if they are wearing Oregon Duck gear.

bduff
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, as a Washington Huskies fan, I certainly understand that reaction!

Howry
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
lol =)

minniemouse28
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm not 100% why the Donald CM acted that way, but since my brother went to U of O, I was aware of some kind of agreement between U of O and Disney when it came to the Duck mascot.

I found this article on the OC Register that is dated March of this year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/03/disney_uo_mascot_part_ways.html

Howry
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Ya I was aware of the parting but I wouldnt think that would effect the way Donald treats people wearing Oregon gear. Shrug.

bombardon3
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I kind of wonder if maybe he had a personal emergency and really had to get off stage. Maybe he was trying to get the character host's attention (as they sometimes keep an eye on multiple characters). In certain locations they need to get a host to help them get off stage since they might not be able to operate the door or are worried about being followed off stage by eager children. Another thing is maybe he wanted your friends to follow him and they misread his gestures? That is another trick characters sometimes use if they really need to get off stage. They will have the last group follow them closer to the exit and then do the picture next to the exit so they can slip backstage right after it is done.

Howry
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I put in an email to Disney asking if there was an issue as my kids would be devastated if it was more then just an emergency.

BVKMM
04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I could understand if it was a joke, but if the character refused to take the picture in the end, that is pretty sad. As a WSU Coug, I also understand.:p I hope that Disney would not tolerate or promote that kind of "discrimination".

cstephens
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I put in an email to Disney asking if there was an issue as my kids would be devastated if it was more then just an emergency.

I agree that it seems very odd for him to have done that. I think it's good that you made an official inquiry. Please let us know if they respond.

bombardon3
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't think they'll look into you since you were not the person directly involved. I do think they'll confirm that there is no problem with getting your picture taken wearing your Ducks shirt. I really think this was either a bizarre emergency situation or a misunderstanding.

DaDuckFan1955
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
I would have thought the handler would have said something if there was an issue with the Oregon Ducks gear.

janell
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I think the handler should have said something. Even if the CM had to come back out after going back stage to see what was going on with Donald. If it was a personal emergency for the CM, that is fine, we all have thing happen. And we all understand. The not knowing is the weird part. You are left wondering what happened and if it had something to do with you and I don't think thats right to be left up in the air.

I hate to think it was because of what you were waring. Its not your fault that the mascot looks like Donald. And I can't imagine Disney saying that Donald ca't pose with someone waring UoO shirt or hat. That would be really wrong IMO.

bigrockstar
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity for an experiment!

Any fellow Duck fans out there going to the park soon? Wanna try to get a photo with Donald sporting your green and yellow? This could get very interesting...

Bonus points if you video-tape your interaction. ;)

stan4d_steph
04-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Any fellow Duck fans out there going to the park soon? Wanna try to get a photo with Donald sporting your green and yellow? This could get very interesting...

Bonus points if you video-tape your interaction. ;)I hope you're just kidding. I really would rather someone didn't go and cause a scene at Disneyland because of something someone else posted at MousePad.

The old man
04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
I hope you're just kidding. I really would rather someone didn't go and cause a scene at Disneyland because of something someone else posted at MousePad.
Why would there be a scene? Because you went to get a picture with a character as millions have done over the years?

I think there's something missing from this story. First it's told second hand and as a recollection. There's a focus on their Duck wear which I personally don't think as anything to do with the story. It not like it says, "Go duck yourself" or "Pinot Noir goes great with duck." Or perhaps this was what they were wearing. Again, something seems to be missing.

BlkPearlCptn
04-24-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm leaning more towards it being an emergency with Donald. I've been in numerous "Creature" costumes for the film industry and in CosPlay as well. There are times that no matter what is going on you need to "get out" and you need to "get out NOW!" You don't care if your in the middle of a shoot...you have to get that head off. It's hard to explain unless you've been there.

So, I'm thinking it was a coincidence that the people happened to be wearing the mascot clothing... I have the feeling it was more of an emergency. Especially if Donald left while there were more people in line.

houseofmouse
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
How about endorsement issues? Maybe they worry about the picture getting used for marketing?
I would have ask out loud to the handler what the problem was and then maybe went to City Hall. Not to complain but just to ask for clarification.

DaDuckFan1955
04-24-2010, 01:12 PM

Bonus points if you video-tape your interaction. ;)

Gonna Quack up

potzbie
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Gonna Quack up

Maybe Donald Duck saw a similar T-shirt which said:
"I love my ducks ... deep fried"
:)

sjhanksaz
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe Donald Duck saw a similar T-shirt which said:
"I love my ducks ... deep fried"
:)

Duck ala king

Howry
04-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Just to follow up I havent heard anything in regards to wearing Oregon Duck gear and Donald yet.

I guess from how the story was told to me it didnt seem like it was a character emergency. More that he just didnt want to get his picture taken for whatever reason and the only reason I/they could come up with was their attire. Its not like these are young people acting like idiots towards donald where they ticked him off. They are in their late 30s. Shrug I just find the whole thing rather odd.

But as someone else mentioned it wasnt me there so im going off what I was told.

bigrockstar
04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I hope you're just kidding. I really would rather someone didn't go and cause a scene at Disneyland because of something someone else posted at MousePad.

My intention was never, and never will be to cause a scene. I really appreciate your concern, though. Disneyland is a special place, and we padders know to keep it that way.

If some folks were in line to get a picture with Donald, and when they got to the front, the camera person took a video instead of a still picture, we could see if it has to do with the Oregon Ducks clothes or if it was just a character emergency. Other than taking a video (which some people do already), it would be just like any other character/guest interaction. My guess (as others have already ventured) is that it was just a character emergency. If that's the case, there will be no further incident. If the character does or does not refuse to allow a picture, we will know the truth once and for all.

coronado_g
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree that there seems to be something missing from the second-hand story. It is solely assumption that it had anything to do with sporting duck wear, after all, why would Donald care about sports?

bombardon3
04-27-2010, 12:11 AM
I also think it could be likely he was trying to get off stage and was trying to get them to follow him. In the OP it said that he walked a few feet away and then stood there shaking his head. Maybe he was trying to get them to go over towards him. The characters often do this when they are about to leave so they can take the last few pictures closer to the exit so they can slip backstage more easily. If they are too far from the exit little kids often will grab them or try and get in front of them to prevent them from leaving.

The old man
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
More that he just didnt want to get his picture taken for whatever reason and the only reason I/they could come up with was their attire.

I just can't understand how anyone can draw this conclusion. I guess those that are suggesting it are thinking:

(Donald character thinking to himself/herself), "Let's see I'm a duck. We have a team in this town named the Anaheim Ducks. If I see anybody come up to me wearing a duck team from anywhere else in the country I'm going to wave them away. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to hightail it out of here."

Not only is this ridiculous, but anyone who's ever worn a large costume can tell you that you really can't even see that well (part of the reason for a handler). Your primary thought is--when can I get this hot, uncomfortable thing off?