PDA

View Full Version : Catch a Flave - Not the Same

shna
04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Yesterday, as is our tradition, DD & I made our way over to Catch a Flave for some of their amazingly yummy not-to-be-found-anywhere-else soft serve ice cream. DD was asking for her own cup, so I was going to get chocolate for her & orange for myself.

When we got there, I noticed that they no longer offer the vanilla ice cream with brightly-colored swirl along the edge. For those unfamiliar with the old ice cream, you'd always get vanilla -- but you could get a swirl around the edge of grape, lemon, orange, strawberry, butter pecan, cotton candy, or chocolate (possibly more options that I'm not remembering). The vanilla ice cream was super-creamy & the subtle addition of the swirl flavor was very enjoyable.

Now they're serving just vanilla, chocolate, or swirl. :| It was all right, but not nearly the magical ice cream experience I've loved for quite some time. Now it's just plain soft serve that you can find pretty much anywhere. I'm disappointed.

houseofmouse
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Another cost and time saving measure I am afraid. Sign of the times. I never had one of the other flavors, bummer they are gone.

Bytebear
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
That was one of my favorite places too. The complaint was long lines, but they never had both windows open, and they just didn't want to staff the shop properly. Sad.

olegc
04-20-2010, 03:58 PM
some folks around the Web have posted this move is a good thing since they hated the long lines and the wait. Really? for something unique that you could not get in a lot of place? I can get plain vanilla/chocolate/swirl anywhere around town. It's not special anymore - and another place I won't bother with at DCA.

Of course, it won't matter to the masses for WoC's debut. This summer they will want cool ice cream and will buy whatever is presented to them. It could be half a scoop on a stick and they'd still do it - because where else would you go.

It's those little touches that keep getting trimmed. Not so much anymore in attractions but in foods (and with some merch) that's the MO.

Alex S.
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd never seen a line there. I wasn't actually aware anybody ever bought stuff there until they started complaining about the change.

Bytebear
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd never seen a line there. I wasn't actually aware anybody ever bought stuff there until they started complaining about the change.

My experience was always hit or miss. Sometimes there was no line at all. Other times, the line would be 10 bodies deep.

I guess my dream of having an equivalent shop open on the Disneyland side is a pipe dream now. :mad:

AlbertaMinnie
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
How about the Root Beer Floats? Are the root beer floats still there?
It was too cold in March so we didn't stop there!

olegc
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
How about the Root Beer Floats? Are the root beer floats still there?
It was too cold in March so we didn't stop there!

from what I read it is true, the rootbeer floats are still there...

Maggiekat
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
When I wanted ice cream, this is where I went, but no more. As others have said you can get soft serv er anywhere

bigrockstar
04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Noooooo!

I loved the Butter Pecan flavor. I guess the thinking is that people who want ice cream just want ice cream and what they don't know about the history of the shop won't hurt them.

Another one bites the dust.

Carina
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
They sell that kind of icecream at the ice cream counter in the grocery store I work at, they also sell it at the mini-gold I used to work at, I would have never guessed it was unique

My work even lets you pick 2 flavors at once

bombardon3
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
The problem wasn't with the staffing, it was with the machine. I'll be missing it.

leota's necklace
04-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Is anyone sending a complaint to Disney about this? Seems like it would be good time to let them know that the change was noticed and not appreciated.

mechurchlady
04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
I will miss it dearly. It was fun to get a second flavor when the machine would put out a bit of the previous order's flavor first. I think it was that they only had so many machines and not staffing. They can have 50 windows open but if it takes a long time for ice cream to be prepared then you still wait.

I loved all the flavors.

Mom2
04-22-2010, 01:50 AM
How sad!!!!! I had to call DH on the phone to let him know as soon as I read this! It was one of our favorite traditions and foods at Disney! Now all we have is our tastebud memories, and a couple of photos! *sigh.

bombardon3
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
The machine was slow and had a lot of problems. My friend in guest relations even knew about the issues (must have heard a lot of complaints). I wish their solution was to buy another machine instead of giving up and installing something you find at every Hometown Buffet.

shna
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I just sent an e-mail to Disneyland about this (Guest Relations??? - I'm not sure where it's heading, but I used the "Contact Us" link). I suggested that even if they can't go back to the multitude of swirl flavors, maybe they can go back to whatever brand of ice cream they were using. Even the plain vanilla used to be ultra-creamy & ultra-delicious. The new stuff was kind of grainy (ice crystals, I'm guessing) and didn't have nearly as much flavor.

janell
04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I had heard they were taking it out. So we had one on our last trip(for the first time). It was very yummy. Wished we had more before. We didn't know they were so special. :)

I never really saw a long line there. I did see often a line, but never to long that I wouldn't be willing to wait for it.

It sad they took it out, it was really good and something you couldn't find in other locations at the resort. So it made it special. Its items like this that make such great memories and traditions. Its sad to see Disney taking it out, just because of machine problems. Should the company who made the machines come in and make it work? I guess that cost and must be to much.

Still sad to see it go.

mechurchlady
04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
It is now chocolate, vanilla and swirl plus floats. They did have a roped off line that ran down the pier toward Screamin'

Mermaid
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Man that stinks! We loved that place. It was hit or miss with the line. Sometimes you wondered if it was even open and others it was a mile long. What a bummer.

Drince88
04-26-2010, 09:29 AM
The new stuff was kind of grainy (ice crystals, I'm guessing) and didn't have nearly as much flavor.
The ice crystals could be a function of a new machine. If you freeze ice cream 'wrong' (I think it's too fast without enough churning) you get ice crystals.

jedited
04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm an annual passholder and I usually don't eat at the parks because it's too expensive, but I will make an exception with unusual items that you can't get outside the parks. And the old ice cream was one of those exceptions. EVERY time me and my kids went to DCA, we ALWAYS stopped and got a cone. But since it's the same thing that you can get for 1/3rd the cost elsewhere, I won't be buying any more.
I guess all I have left now is corndogs and Dole whip.

iLuvDisney26
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
My daughter and I just barely tried this place last month!!! We loved the soft serve ice cream with the flavor swirl :) We had the bubblegum swirl and it was sooo good!! We were hoping to get this treat again. What a bummer that it will no longer be available!!! We are really disappointed!!! It won't be the same without the flavor swirls!!! Disney please dont remove little things like this that makes visiting the parks special and unique...

bombardon3
05-02-2010, 01:16 AM
If anyone is really desperate, they still have them swirled flavors at the Disney Soda Fountain in Hollywood. I would have tried one today, but they don't take Discover card there and I had no cash on me. I don't get why a super touristy place like that would only take Visa and Master Card. It was like that in the entire Hollywood and Highland complex. No Amex either at most places.