PDA

View Full Version : Anything new for experienced Disney-goers?

kkmickey
03-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi - Before I begin, let me tell you about my Disney 'history'. I have been going to Disneyland every 1-2 years since I was about 5 years old. I am a grown woman, married, with 3 boys (ages 10, 12, and 14). We live in the Pacific NW, and have always driven to Disney (yes, the straight trip - 16 to 20 hours, depending on who is driving ;) .

The last trip we made was Spring 2001, and we went before they were offering Park Hoppers. Needless to say, we were very disappointed with DCA (like a bland Knott's Berry Farm).

My husband is attending a conference in April that is sponsored by Disney, so for the first time we are staying in the Disneyland Hotel (we usually stay at Howard Johnson's or something comparable). We are also flying to Disney for the first time, because we have always driven in the past - at least we won't arrive tired.

Anyway, what do I want to know about staying at the Disneyland Hotel?

Where can I get the cheapest airport transfers?

Which restaurants are the best? (I always make sure to eat lunch at the Blue Bayou). I know they have added a few restaurants since we've been there. And which offer the most reasonable prices for families?

Has DCA improved at all? When we went, the crowds were sparse and we saw everything in the park by 11am. After I complained to Guest Services about the waste of money, they offered me Disney tickets for the rest of the day.

What shows can I expect to see? We will be there April 3-6.

Thanks - I love this site!

KKMickey

MammaSilva
03-09-2003, 07:11 PM
You are going to LOVE staying on property!

As for DCA..... the new Aladdin show is a "must see" IMHO....if you're into Millionaire, that's a fun way to spend some time...

At Disneyland .....the Matterhorn is back and so is the Carousel, but the RoA isn't scheduled to be back up from rehab til the 10th of April according to the rehab list......

Make sure to go see the Koi ponds, our kids LOVED being there at feeding time, it was so fun to watch the fish, they are almost "tame" in some respects....

Most of all.. have FUN!

teri
03-09-2003, 08:52 PM
DCA is a fine place to go when the midday crowds get to be too much at Disneyland. :)

Disneyland Hotel has the coolest pool around, and the biggest rooms.

Since you are a family of 5, you might want to check into reserving a limo or using private taxi-van services rather than a shuttle. The cost often evens out when you get over 4 people. Airport Bus (http://www.airportbus.com) has regular schedules from the airports to the Disneyland Resort area, and there are always shuttles waiting. But ask the dispatcher - a taxi-van may be more cost effective.

The Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen has a take-out that is affordable and delicious - we never miss that one. Beignets and coffee in the morning on the way to the parks... yum!

Whitewater Cafe in the Grand Californian, near the pool, is a "secret" place for some of the best burgers onsite and a very family-friendly and relatively affordable breakfast or lunch. It is the closest thing there is to a moderate-priced food court in all 3 onsite hotels, with partial table service -- you order at the window, they deliver the food. Love that place. :)